Is it legal to search a parked car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHONOFF98

Established Member
Scenario: a car parked outside of house (nice yellow mustang), not doing a thing wrong, not parked in front of a fire hydrant or a neighbors house or nothing like that. Can a officer search the said car, as in opening the door and going through the glove box, center console, moving the seats and throwing the contents of the glove box and center console throughout the car? Is this legal? Car has nothing illegal about it (no tint, good tabs, etc..).

Tyler

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
No.
It almost sounds like this happened to you or someone you know, so I would ask "What's the rest of the story?"

So again No. If there is no Probable cause for the arrest of a person in the car, A warrant to search the car, or a reasonable suspicion for an officer to fear for thier safety, then there is no justification to enter the vehicle.

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
I agree

Sounds like a little is missing here. So taking into consideration such things as "tips" from reliable informants that PC exists for a search ...and exigent circumstances dictating immediate action...yup...car can be searched. For example...that yellow car...Your neighbor calls in and says you just locked your six month old child in the trunk and you left in another car...Search coming..? You bet....

Last edited:

SHONOFF98

Established Member
At a friends house with a couple people after a basketball game at the local rec park and we believe a neighbor called the cops (found out the neighbors arent exactly fond of them) but no one was outside, no loud music, nothing like that we were all just inside relaxing. And I swear to god that my doors were locked I ALWAYS lock my doors.

JP Cobra

Sarcasm at its Finest
Established Member
I was under assumption that even if they had a reasonalbe reason to want to search your car, they'd have to ask the owner to be there with them.

Did you walk outside while the cop was going through it? Did he find anything? Charge you for anything? What was his reason for searching the car?

SHONOFF98

Established Member
Lawfficer said:
No.
It almost sounds like this happened to you or someone you know, so I would ask "What's the rest of the story?"

So again No. If there is no Probable cause for the arrest of a person in the car, A warrant to search the car, or a reasonable suspicion for an officer to fear for thier safety, then there is no justification to enter the vehicle.

No one was in the car it was just parked in front of my buddys house (the one we were over), there would be absolutely no reason to fear from his safety about my car and that was obviously not the case because they went in my car (i could have sworn i locked it) moved my seats all around went through my glove box and center console and threw all the contents all over my car, turned my lights on and left them on. Now I'm not the one to rip on police officers, I respect them and have had my share of let offs and what not, but why why is that necessary.

SHONOFF98

Established Member
Hickory said:
I was under assumption that even if they had a reasonalbe reason to want to search your car, they'd have to ask the owner to be there with them.

Did you walk outside while the cop was going through it? Did he find anything? Charge you for anything? What was his reason for searching the car?

There wasnt anything in my car or anything like that, but I too always thought they needed permission if not a warrant to pull that shit. I called the station today and they said they couldnt tell me anything because the night shift was the one that was on duty at the time or whatever and I have to call back at midnight to talk with the officer that was on duty

wpd736

Back to Blue
Established Member
I cant think of a reason either if this is the entire story .... you can go to the records division and ask for a copy of the report if the officers that responded did one which they should have. In it they should have documented any probable cause they would have had to enter the car.

Floridalawdog

Established Member
I cant imagine any reason why an officer would randomly pick your car to conduct an illegal search on. It makes no sense.

thrillious

Established Member
Thats crazy, If everything you say is true makes me scared that they can just do that. Hope you figure everything out.

-Kevin

SHONOFF98

Established Member
The only reason I would be guessing is that the neighbors said we were having a party (which if you wanna call about 6 people a party then I guess we had a party) and they were prolly looking for drugs or alcohol even though half the people there were over 21

Tyler

Floridalawdog

Established Member
SHONOFF98 said:
The only reason I would be guessing is that the neighbors said we were having a party (which if you wanna call about 6 people a party then I guess we had a party) and they were prolly looking for drugs or alcohol even though half the people there were over 21

Tyler
I dont think that would cause a police officer to do that. No, I know it wouldnt. There really has to be more to the story. Why didnt you ask them what they were doing in your car? It doesnt make any sense. Im not saying your lying, but maybe there is more you dont know.

oldmodman

Established Member
It probably wasn't a real police officer.

Just a thief dressed up to look like a police officer.

Next time just shoot from behind cover.

That usually makes them go away ;-)

However, if it is REALLY a police officer make sure that you are behind really good cover. :eek:

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
SHONOFF98 said:

Tyler

Bingo. Neighbors who complained probably said that your yellow mustang has drugs and alcohol in it. LOL

Pro SNIVELER

Banned
COBRA90GT said:
Bingo. Neighbors who complained probably said that your yellow mustang has drugs and alcohol in it. LOL

one would think they would want to secure the owner before going through a car with suspected illegal contents. you would also think they would want the owner present due to the fact they could be mistaken for criminals and shot at by someone inside that house it was parked in front of, especially if they are reported drinking and using drugs. but then again, they probably would have came to the door, if something was called in. they just ripped your car apart and left? i have ALWAYS been asked by leos, this just makes no sense at all.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
*removed by moderator*

Please follow the rules and post constructively or not at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

FordRacing200

Banned
Hmm....I think we're not hearing the whole story, was this party of 6 people in or outside the home? did the officer show up in a police car or just come walking down the street, did the officer come from a neighbors house THEN search the car????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread