Is an auto 5.0 any slower than a manual 5.0 from a roll?

D.T.R

Established Member
20whp ain't going to give you an edge on a 3600lb+ car LMAO
if you 60ft .1 worse, your 20whp go out the window lmao. I mean seriously... automatic cars ALWAYS dyno lower... aftermarket converters throw that number off even more... but yet, at the track the ET/MPH doesn't lie so why does 20whp more matter?

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
If you want to go fast in a straight line and thats about it, what about road course racing or drifting? z25oh is right, drag racing is only a small portion of what we can use our cars for. :eek:

Exactly why i love the coyote/roadrunner so much, it's an all around sports car that can dabble in most an arena of motorsports:beer:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
20whp ain't going to give you an edge on a 3600lb+ car LMAO
if you 60ft .1 worse, your 20whp go out the window lmao. I mean seriously... automatic cars ALWAYS dyno lower... aftermarket converters throw that number off even more... but yet, at the track the ET/MPH doesn't lie so why does 20whp more matter?

That's like saying an off road x won't make a diff?? And those only make 14-18rwhp lmao:dw:

D.T.R

Established Member
10 speed that's it? I used to drive and 18 speed semi, get over your self buddy. Like I said I'm not bashing, but if you can't grasp that all an auto does is be more consistent and take out human error that's not my fault. Lol for a Motorsport purist in sports cars nothing beats a manual. It's too bad the coyote has such a shitty example to represent manual

Not only is more consistant, it's also easier on parts. The transmission is not as violent between shifts. Traction is better. It also is cheaper to rebuild for more power if you were to break it. Not to mention that in this particular case (the coyote platform, that is) the auto is MUCH stronger than the manual. My wife learned to drive stickshift just so that she can drive the mustang, then 3 months later she was already over it. Hated taking the car to and from work, because she couldn't stand being stuck in traffic with the manual transmission so i ended up driving it every day. So in other words, the only thing the manual has going for it, is the "fun factor", other than that... that's it.

Last edited:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Not only is more consistant, it's also easier on parts. The transmission is not as violent between shifts. Traction is better. It also is cheaper to rebuild for more power if you were to break it. Not to mention that in this particular case (the coyote platform, that is) the auto is MUCH stronger than the manual. My wife learned to drive stickshift just so that she can drive the mustang, then 3 months later she was already over it. Hated taking the car to and from work, because she couldn't stang being stuck in traffic with the manual transmission so i ended up driving it every day. So in other words, the only thing the manual has going for it, is the "fun factor", other than that... that's it.

Well I can't argue with 90% because I agree. It's a damn shame though that the got such a shitty m6. But I've had worse. Although I will say I have never ever had a traction issue with my m6

D.T.R

Established Member
Well I can't argue with 90% because I agree. It's a damn shame though that the got such a shitty m6. But I've had worse. Although I will say I have never ever had a traction issue with my m6

I didn't really have major traction problems with my M6 either, until i added spray and even then it wasn't too bad.
I mean, the MT82 is not a bad transmission, and if you're going to be racing your car over turns, i would go manual, just like I would go auto for drag racing.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
What....your opinion is not the same as mine...YOURE WRONG

That pretty much sums up svtp lately

PS- I like manual better, and I don't care if you think I'm wrong ;)

cmsnake

Established Member
Having owned an 11 auto and now a 14 manual I can vouch that stock for stock the manual is faster from a roll and the track no doubt. The auto is beefy guys and it sucks some power before it gets to the ground. If youre gonna make big power (700+whp) then the auto is where its at.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
autos are skilless
autos are boring
Last I saw the guesstimate of people who can drive manuals in the USA was below 20%. Seems like it will be a lost skill.
I'll trade consistant runs to skilled runs anyday.
As someone else said, if you even dare say you drive an auto where I live, you are ridiculed because even the Honda fanboys get that right, autos are skilless.

Since my mustang is down from issues with the Diff until my appointment with Finishline Monday, I have been driving my 2007 Tundra which is an Auto, it is boring! I spend too much time getting annoyed when it shifts to IMHO the wrong gear etc.

Most fun I've had? The fact I can launch off the line in a 6.5Klb truck to 60mph in about 6 seconds by only taking my foot off one pedal and pushing another.

Takes far more work to drive the stang and get it to launch. I still prefer the manual and hate driving the truck.

Other pros to a manual? Having to actually pay attention and constantly think, even subconsciously about what gear to be in/go in/downshift too, makes for a more aware driver.

Accidents seem less frequent in countries where manuals are more popular as it is far harder to text/talk and drive.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If all conditions were perfect and you could "no lift shift" (not let up on throttle as you shift) as you went through every gear flawlessly, then yes. All that doesn't happen perfectly very often though.

QFT!

/thread

autos are skilless
autos are boring
Last I saw the guesstimate of people who can drive manuals in the USA was below 20%. Seems like it will be a lost skill.
I'll trade consistant runs to skilled runs anyday.

Even your "skill" will fall victim to the lack luster performance of the inferior MT82 manual. Something will break, pedal stick to the floor, grind, miss a gear.....it simply happens, and you have no control over that.

As someone else said, if you even dare say you drive an auto where I live, you are ridiculed because even the Honda fanboys get that right, autos are skilless.

Do they ridicule the Nissan GT-R as well? There is no manual option in that car.

Have you ever tried to put 700+ rwhp to the street with a manual and shorter differential gearing? I'm assuming not, because if you have...you'd be embracing the auto.

Other pros to a manual? Having to actually pay attention and constantly think, even subconsciously about what gear to be in/go in/downshift too, makes for a more aware driver.

Accidents seem less frequent in countries where manuals are more popular as it is far harder to text/talk and drive.

I'd like to see the statics on this study. Until then, I'm going to assume it's like many statics....made up.

Last edited:

BV600

Established Member

Only comment worth commenting on.

Harder to text/talk....NO sorry Its actually Illegal in other countries and actually enforced. I was out of the states for 6 years and never seen anybody pick a phone up in their car (only Americans) Come back to the states and its everywhere.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Only comment worth commenting on.

Harder to text/talk....NO sorry Its actually Illegal in other countries and actually enforced. I was out of the states for 6 years and never seen anybody pick a phone up in their car (only Americans) Come back to the states and its everywhere.

It is illegal in the US too...well...least in my state it is...both texting and talking...doesn't keep anyone from doing it...even the cops for that matter...

nonliberal

Established Member
QFT!

/thread

Even your "skill" will fall victim to the lack luster performance of the inferior MT82 manual. Something will break, pedal stick to the floor, grind, miss a gear.....it simply happens, and you have no control over that.

Do they ridicule the Nissan GT-R as well? There is no manual option in that car.

Have you ever tried to put 700+ rwhp to the street with a manual and shorter differential gearing? I'm assuming not, because if you have...you'd be embracing the auto.

I'd like to see the statics on this study. Until then, I'm going to assume it's like many statics....made up.

That's strange, you quoted me as saying a bunch of stuff I didn't say. The first quote is the only thing I said. The others have an opposing point of view.

nonliberal

Established Member
This whole thread kind of got off track and went to personal preference. Where you live and what you use the car for should determine whether you get a manual or auto. It's all personal preference.

To answer the original topic question.
I would say if you could do everything perfect every time then the manual "might be faster", since nobody is perfect every time with a lack luster MT82 I would answer the question as NO the auto is not any slower from a roll.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
You don't compare a GTR to, well any mustang lol. The GTR has the most amazing trans I think I've ever had the pleasure of paddling... It's a purpose built automotive marvel. Lets leave it out of this lol

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
This whole thread kind of got off track and went to personal preference. Where you live and what you use the car for should determine whether you get a manual or auto. It's all personal preference.

To answer the original topic question.
I would say if you could do everything perfect every time then the manual "might be faster", since nobody is perfect every time with a lack luster MT82 I would answer the question as NO the auto is not any slower from a roll.

Yeah pretty much, with out beer this just got old:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread