is a GT500 a Cobra?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Im not going to lie, I know IRS when developed well is amazing. For what I love doing with my Shelby, a solid axle makes more sense. Drag racing primarily, but we only have to look at all the FR500s, Boss 302s, and Cobra Jets to see the solid 8.8 was a great axle when put under the S197.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
This is a crazy thread:

1996-2004 Mustang SVT Cobra
It is a Mustang.....check
It is an SVT vehicle.....check
It is a cobra designation....check

2007-2014 Mustang Shelby GT500
It is a Mustang....check
It is an SVT vehicle....check
It is a cobra designation...check
It is a GT 500 variant...check
It is Shelby influenced car and designation...check

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I have never thought of my GT500 as a Cobra. I guess the final answer is on this forum....the GT500 is in the Cobra Forum section. How could it be in the Cobra Forum if it were not one?

Because the person who created the sub-forum had the same mindset of "it has a Cobra badge, therefore it must be a Cobra." It's good that you've never referred to your GT500 as a Cobra because it's not a Cobra. It makes me cringe every time somebody says "nice Cobra" to me. Ugh!

Concerning the DEW-Lite IRS, everything I read indicated that the idea was scrapped for two reasons. 1. It was supposedly too complex and expensive to put on a Mustang (which doesn't make sense because the DEW and S197 chassis have matching hard points), and it would've driven the price of the Mustang up by a couple thousand dollars. 2. The first gen S197 GT500 was already porky at 3900+ lbs. The weight of the IRS would've pushed it well over 4000 lbs; think 5th gen ZL1. However, it also would've been a MUCH better balanced car performance-wise. I wonder if there's anybody out there who has slapped a Lincoln LS IRS on their GT500. If I'm not mistaken, it bolts right up.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
It's good that you've never referred to your GT500 as a Cobra because it's not a Cobra. It makes me cringe every time somebody says "nice Cobra" to me. Ugh!

As I was going to work this am I walked past my car ans said "see ya later nice Cobra" in my best Sheriff Buford T Justice voice....can we still be friends?

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Because the person who created the sub-forum had the same mindset of "it has a Cobra badge, therefore it must be a Cobra." It's good that you've never referred to your GT500 as a Cobra because it's not a Cobra. It makes me cringe every time somebody says "nice Cobra" to me. Ugh!

Concerning the DEW-Lite IRS, everything I read indicated that the idea was scrapped for two reasons. 1. It was supposedly too complex and expensive to put on a Mustang (which doesn't make sense because the DEW and S197 chassis have matching hard points), and it would've driven the price of the Mustang up by a couple thousand dollars. 2. The first gen S197 GT500 was already porky at 3900+ lbs. The weight of the IRS would've pushed it well over 4000 lbs; think 5th gen ZL1. However, it also would've been a MUCH better balanced car performance-wise. I wonder if there's anybody out there who has slapped a Lincoln LS IRS on their GT500. If I'm not mistaken, it bolts right up.

Also, the wheel hop was terrible under under hard acceleration. I had to put a brace on the pumpkin to keep it from rotating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ohio Snake

Established Member
You tried an IRS on your GT500? Other than wheel hop, how was it?

No. I had a 1999 Cobra with IRS and had mixed feelings about it. The car handled great for it's time, but hard acceleration from a stop was less than desirable. It need a serious brace to reduce the wheel hop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohio Snake

Established Member

I would have to say the ad is not correct. All but but one car were actually AC Cobras with a Ford motor in them. The AC Cobras were not manufactured by Ford , but Shelby America.
The one car is a Ford Mustang SVT Cobra. I don't think Ford ever manufactured and built a Ford Cobra in the US as a separate and distinct model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread