is a GT500 a Cobra?

nickf2005

Established Member
I would have to say the ad is not correct. All but but one car were actually AC Cobras with a Ford motor in them. The AC Cobras were not manufactured by Ford , but Shelby America.
The one car is a Ford Mustang SVT Cobra. I don't think Ford ever manufactured and built a Ford Cobra in the US as a separate and distinct model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I agree. I just found it funny that when I searched "Ford Cobra" that was the first return. Bottom of page one was the only original with a CSX number, but was still labeled as "Ford Cobra".

The debate is a silly one, at best. Some purists get caught up in the wrongs and rights while others (who usually don't own one) make fun of them for trying to correct people. I've always found it easier to let people call them what they want and not correct them. I usually refer to her as "Mustang", because at the end of the day, that's what it is.

That said, I look at them in these general buckets:
Shelby Cobra
Mustang Cobra
(Mustang) Shelby GT500
(Mustang) Shelby GT350

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I usually refer to her as "Mustang", because at the end of the day, that's what it is.

If you own two (or more) of them, you come to find that giving a designation becomes clunky as hell. Used to, if my wife asked me for something that I left in the car, I could just say "It's in my [car|Mustang|Shelby]." Now that I have two Shelby Mustangs (and they're both blue), I have to refer to them by specific model name. GT350R and GT500 don't exactly roll off the tongue smoothly in a non car related conversation. LOL

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
My C
If you own two (or more) of them, you come to find that giving a designation becomes clunky as hell. Used to, if my wife asked me for something that I left in the car, I could just say "It's in my [car|Mustang|Shelby]." Now that I have two Shelby Mustangs (and they're both blue), I have to refer to them by specific model name. GT350R and GT500 don't exactly roll off the tongue smoothly in a non car related conversation. LOL

My Cobra is refered to as "that ****ing car"

nickf2005

Established Member

First world probs.

blk02edge

Established Member
Start calling them voodoo and trinity and let us know how much her eyes roll

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
As I said, Ford motor company gave Shelby the funds(both initially and later) to build a vehicle that would outrace the corvette.
AC did nothing as it was Shelby giving AC, Ford money to purchase the AC chassis/shells.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
It's not a cobra, they ended in 04, yes SVT built the (GT500 or whatever you want to call them) and Carroll Shelby did have some input on them back in 07, and he was involved with the design of the 13/14 GT500s. At the end of day IMO it's a Shelby. But it can be argued about all day.
+1

C0bra99

Established Member
As I said, Ford motor company gave Shelby the funds(both initially and later) to build a vehicle that would outrace the corvette.
AC did nothing as it was Shelby giving AC, Ford money to purchase the AC chassis/shells.
Didn't AC make frame modifications for the bigger engines and flex. So to say they did nothing is incorrect.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I'm not sure. However they were not behind production and or put any money into the production of the Cobra as far as I'm aware.

If they did make changes it was to sell more chassis.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Oh, I agree. I just found it funny that when I searched "Ford Cobra" that was the first return. Bottom of page one was the only original with a CSX number, but was still labeled as "Ford Cobra".

The debate is a silly one, at best. Some purists get caught up in the wrongs and rights while others (who usually don't own one) make fun of them for trying to correct people. I've always found it easier to let people call them what they want and not correct them. I usually refer to her as "Mustang", because at the end of the day, that's what it is.

That said, I look at them in these general buckets:
Shelby Cobra
Mustang Cobra
(Mustang) Shelby GT500
(Mustang) Shelby GT350

Agree

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ohio Snake

Established Member

I just call mine "The Shelby"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Didn't AC make frame modifications for the bigger engines and flex. So to say they did nothing is incorrect.

Nope. The Shelby company did the frame modifications in-house. AC was nearly out of business buy the time Shelby came across them. They only provided the initial body shells for Shelby to build upon. Aside from that, AC contributed nothing else.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Cobras are not made anymore. Simple as that. Cobras are not GT500's and GT500's are not Cobras.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. They are both top teir Mustangs and in that they are the same. It's just branding and badges. The GT500 name plate was brought back to tap into the Baby Boomer generation's large disposable income and psyche.

Both are made by SVT......RIP.

Last edited:

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
This can die but just last night the same guy that made me start this thread posted in a local group about the new coyote and how excited this makes him to see the new GT500 Cobra. I just bit my tongue and didn't say anything to him this time. I think I'm going to have a shirt made for him that says "my GT500 is NOT a Cobra" written over and over like Bart Simpson does on the chalkboard

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I can put a sticker with my name on it on anything...it doesn't mean I'm responsible for it.

No, but it's still your name on it. No one is claiming Shelby is responsible for the whole car.

When you buy a replacement part for your Shelby, it's listed under "Shelby"
When you list it for sale, it would say "Shelby for sale"
The title to the car says "Shelby".
The car has "Shelby" badges all over it.

So what is it, if it's not a "Shelby"?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread