Investing in the Stock Market

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I dont mind sharing, it seems that the stocks that go up counter the ones that go down right now. No real huge gains. Like i said before i just started investing early Jan.

~$2,500 in my Roth IRA - Just an Inernational Mutual Fund, seems like it is doing fairly well. MorningStar gave it 4 stars.

CAPA - still breaking even and have owned it for about a month
CCEL - stock fell quite a bit a few days after i bought but has come us since, still down about $70 or so
RAE - seemed like it was doing well then dropped a bit so i am about even. They make chem. detectors and thier detectors were used durring the super bowl, FWIW
TMWD - up about $70 or so, i bought it mid Jan.

My gamble right now is STTC - bought at 8 cents a couple days ago so i am interested to see how it does.

I DID have about 6 shares of google, made $200 right before the peaked... when it fell and i broke even i sold. Just got on that one a little too late.

If anybody actually looks up my stocks they will see that they are all under $5 a share (penny stocks), i know i know, deversify. Diversification is my next step while i read some more books on investing; i also want to max out my IRA for both last year and this year before getting into any more stocks/mutual funds.

-Mike

madmatt

Stockishly Slow
Established Member
Thats what I hope to do this year. Get outta the stocks, and into a Roth. Can anyone give some advice on what to look for in good mutual funds? A lot of people have been saying international funds right now, anyone have any input?

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
madmatt said:
Thats what I hope to do this year. Get outta the stocks, and into a Roth. Can anyone give some advice on what to look for in good mutual funds? A lot of people have been saying international funds right now, anyone have any input?

what I did was hop onto a few investments sites (Forbes, MorningStar, Fool.com, etc) and do some reading on the Roth IRA, not just what it is but specifically what kind of mutual funds i should invest in.

This should get you started: http://news.morningstar.com/article/article.asp?id=129886&_QSBPA=Y

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Ripper said:
Use ameritrade also ! No real complaints.

Taken a bath with ADSX, DOC, and now SIRI. :(

F'n Stern is killing Sirius. Glad I bought more at 7 dollars and bought the hypeof Howard and Nascar pumping Sirius ! :(

no shit on siri, sold it at 5.97 and bailed. stern is drowning them i think as well.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
BCRX - Pumped this one for a 22 % gain in 3 days when the bird flu pandemic came about. Not even really bird flu related but took the advice of a message board member and gained 200 dollars in one week. Wouldn't touch it now though.

check out gnbt. penny stock now but who knows.

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Awesome guys. Keep it coming. Thanks for the advice. It seems that SIRI was a good choice in the beginning. I also wish I would have acted on Google when it first came out.

madmatt

Stockishly Slow
Established Member
Mike K said:
what I did was hop onto a few investments sites (Forbes, MorningStar, Fool.com, etc) and do some reading on the Roth IRA, not just what it is but specifically what kind of mutual funds i should invest in.

This should get you started: http://news.morningstar.com/article/article.asp?id=129886&_QSBPA=Y
Thanks, I picked out at least ONE fund that im pretty interested in for my fund. Anyone in on the Vangaurd funds?

red03cobra

2003 Cobra & 1990 Notch
Established Member
Patience is required to become rich slowly. unless you own thirty stocks you are not properly diversifed. should have no more than 3% in any one stock to avoid individual company risk. When you take a risk that you are not being paid extra return for, you are taking an irrational risk. By trading a lot you will burn up extra money in commisions, and churn your own account. Penny stocks are notoriously high risk and usually low return. Some mutual funds I have done well in over the last few years: FLATX, EUROX, PSPFX, RSNRX, MAKOX, UNWPX, HLMEX, PRASX. Also exchange traded funds: EZA, Brazil and Mexico etf's.

jasil

Established Member
Ripper said:
Use ameritrade also ! No real complaints.

Taken a bath with ADSX, DOC, and now SIRI. :(

F'n Stern is killing Sirius. Glad I bought more at 7 dollars and bought the hypeof Howard and Nascar pumping Sirius ! :(

I positon trade and daytrade using Ameriturd and Alphaturd both suck, but everything else sucks more!! MM's make a killing no matter how you slice it especially if you play with pennys...sub $2.0 in my book.

I made a killing on SIRI in the Aug. 04 run, but the money left and so did I getting out at ...$6.10 a share even though it ran to $9!!!

Lot's of money to be made and lot's of money to be lost that's for sure :rockon:

jasil

Established Member
bbp42d said:
BCRX - Pumped this one for a 22 % gain in 3 days when the bird flu pandemic came about. Not even really bird flu related but took the advice of a message board member and gained 200 dollars in one week. Wouldn't touch it now though.

check out gnbt. penny stock now but who knows.

You're definately playing the bird flu sector...AVAN ran nice 2 months ago on the WHO daily media pump. What boards do you frequent? I bought GNBT on there "Meeting with the FDA PR", but it didn't move so I got out on a scalp.

Good luck.

jasil

Established Member
Anyone with balls of steel here is a gamble a big gamble. GZFX thye rent movies/games just like Netflix does. The stock is currently trading at .0077 this is the kicker currently they are in a test market with Circuit City. You can go to Circuit City's website and find them under "partners" March 15th is the date when CC will ultimately say if GZFX will be rolled out in all 600+ stores or not! If it's a go this will be a easy
%200-%300 gainer if not more.

The biggest gainer this year was POS USXP it has run from .001 to a high of Friday .035!! Do the math for those that got in there or even .002-.003 we're talking
%10000+ gains.

Of course we're not talking dropping retirement money on these things and you need Ameritrade, or E-trade Pro, Alphatrade, to trade these with any consistancy. If you have Scottrade run away.

Do your own DD and we're not talking big money here drop a 1k or whatever your risk tolerance is and my tip for trading is "Follow the money" and "The trend is your friend" good luck!!

madmatt

Stockishly Slow
Established Member
I may have to put a little dough in the GZFX. Time to do some research :D

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
jasil said:
You're definately playing the bird flu sector...AVAN ran nice 2 months ago on the WHO daily media pump. What boards do you frequent? I bought GNBT on there "Meeting with the FDA PR", but it didn't move so I got out on a scalp.

Good luck.
I'm on MSN moneycentral boards and Yahoo boards. Only thing not blocked by our company at work. Lot of good advice but also alot of really, really bad advice.

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
jasil said:
Anyone with balls of steel here is a gamble a big gamble. GZFX thye rent movies/games just like Netflix does. The stock is currently trading at .0077 this is the kicker currently they are in a test market with Circuit City. You can go to Circuit City's website and find them under "partners" March 15th is the date when CC will ultimately say if GZFX will be rolled out in all 600+ stores or not! If it's a go this will be a easy

The biggest gainer this year was POS USXP it has run from .001 to a high of Friday .035!! Do the math for those that got in there or even .002-.003 we're talking
%10000+ gains.

Of course we're not talking dropping retirement money on these things and you need Ameritrade, or E-trade Pro, Alphatrade, to trade these with any consistancy. If you have Scottrade run away.

Do your own DD and we're not talking big money here drop a 1k or whatever your risk tolerance is and my tip for trading is "Follow the money" and "The trend is your friend" good luck!!

Good stuff right here. I might do a little research on these myself. By the way, what does getting out on scale mean? Also, what does it mean when a stock splits and how does that come about? Thanks for your help guys.

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
jasil said:

%10000+ gains.

Hey what not i'm in ! :shrug:

madmatt

Stockishly Slow
Established Member
I WANT to be in. LOL. What should I do to be able to put a little money into the stock, I dont have a lot, so starting up with etrade is out I think, cause they have like a min of 3000 bucks, dont know about Ameritrade. Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread