Investing in the Stock Market

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
sharkbite1979 said:
Real estate can be very lucrative, but very taxing. Buying and flipping a property is a quick way to make a lot of money, but it takes a lot of research and sometimes physical labor to get it done. I use my extra $$ to invest in international stock funds. I have some U.S. company stocks, but the international market is making me more $$ right now.

How do you go about investing internationally, if you don't mind me asking?

04MysticCobra

Established Member
sharkbite1979 said:
Real estate can be very lucrative, but very taxing. Buying and flipping a property is a quick way to make a lot of money, but it takes a lot of research and sometimes physical labor to get it done. I use my extra $$ to invest in international stock funds. I have some U.S. company stocks, but the international market is making me more $$ right now.

Same here. the international funds in my portfolio are doing the best and making me the most return. I am diversified over small, medium, large caps, real estate and international funds. I invest through my 401k plan which is Principal financial and they offer all different funds from Fidelty, Janus, and so on. I am currently in one Fidelty International fund and 2 Principal International funds and they are all doing great. my Domestic funds have'nt done too bad either over the last year. Happy Investing!

Later, 04MysticCobra.

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Just thought I would revive this thread. Interested in what everyone is looking at now.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
URDONE said:
How many of you guys invest in the stock market? What do you guys use, E-trade, Ameritrade? Any good or bad experiences? I am just thinking about maybe looking into starting to get my feet wet with the stock market. I want to see what you guys felt about it. Thanks

i use e-trade. since i am near a computer 12 hours a day i watch it alot. just start lite it can be a bad habit. i use a co north of me for roth, and ira acct. she would buy and sell a few times but for 30 bucks a swap, i am out.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
I've invested in some petroleum drilling/research firms over the past 6 months...

I look at it like this: when the price of oil jumps I make money and sell.

When the price of oil drops, gasoline prices go down...eventually...

That and gobs of mutal funds from around the world, specifially emerging markets in the pacific rim.. Hell, if big business can make money over there, why can't I?

fullofvenom

Established Member
Investing in Stocks is tough for the common joe who just wants to get some long term security built up. the market is FLOODED with day traders and such who are just out to make a quick buck on small shifts int he market. this process works great for them, since theya re glued to the monitor and keeping abreast of tiny fluctuations and trends, but for the simple investor, it doesn't work. the stock market was designed to allow people to invest in companies over the long term in an effort to increase capital for the company, and in turn, their production and net worth.

you're better off investing in something with less return but more stability. hell, even a 5% money market will provide a nice nest egg down the road if contributed to steady basis.

just my .02

holtsch

Established Member
fullofvenom said:
you're better off investing in something with less return but more stability. hell, even a 5% money market will provide a nice nest egg down the road if contributed to steady basis.

just my .02

Good advice if you're 60 or over.

madmatt

Stockishly Slow
Established Member
Im tired of dabbling and losing in the stock market. As soon as I get somewhat close to even, Im pulling most of it out and putting it in a mutual fund. Its just stupid for me to keep losing like I am.

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
Use ameritrade also ! No real complaints.

Taken a bath with ADSX, DOC, and now SIRI. :(

F'n Stern is killing Sirius. Glad I bought more at 7 dollars and bought the hypeof Howard and Nascar pumping Sirius ! :(

red03cobra

2003 Cobra & 1990 Notch
Established Member
I have been investing since 1982. In the last 13 months my portfolio has gone up 30%. For novice investors I recommend mutual funds only! I am a lawyer and sue stockbrokers for defrauded investors. I am convinced most people can do a better job investing themselves rather than rely on brokers, who have no more clue about the future than you do. Gold and penny stocks are very high risk. Diversification is key. No more than 3% in any one company to avoid "company risk"! Real estate has run up very high in many places like San Diego, Boston, etc. Use discount brokers and research. I like Schwab, they are a little higher in price but are not going out of business. Screen for best performing funds in last three months and invest for a year as most trends last longer than three months!

Real estate has many holding costs, like real estate taxes, maintenance, insurance, utilities, furnishing, high transaction fees for broker, title insurance, etc. Usually only make real money if hold for at least five years.

The best deal is a Roth IRA, no tax deduction going in but no taxes coming out! Leave for tax free compounding for fifty years! Set up son's account, he is 24 with $13,000 now. Should be worth $1 Million in fifty years...

I am now invested in energy, gold, emerging markets, Latin America, Korea, titanium, steel, railroads, and Russia. All in keogh and IRA accounts.

Small gold companies are being acquired by larger ones, but this is high risk speculation and not for the novice. Check out what happened to MRB and DEZ recently. AUY bought DEZ and the price rose 15%, 20% premium over prior price. The combined company looks good, so I will continue to hold. I was in Titanium Metals at 15, sold too soon at 35, now it is 82, split and is 41! Still going up!

madmatt

Stockishly Slow
Established Member
madmatt said:
Im tired of dabbling and losing in the stock market. As soon as I get somewhat close to even, Im pulling most of it out and putting it in a mutual fund. Its just stupid for me to keep losing like I am.
Hmmm...the list. Well, I STUPIDLY bought Krispy Kreme right before they took a nosedive, also, Sirius satellite didnt do jack squat, but its not TOO bad yet. Apple, well, it WAS doing great, I shouldve sold it at 85, and not waited.

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
madmatt said:
Hmmm...the list. Well, I STUPIDLY bought Krispy Kreme right before they took a nosedive, also, Sirius satellite didnt do jack squat, but its not TOO bad yet. Apple, well, it WAS doing great, I shouldve sold it at 85, and not waited.

My list
CSCO - I'll hold long term but bought in at 20. Think it's been around 17 - 18 for the last two years. Sucks !

LU - Had a lions share but decided to get out of it and put my money in SIRI.

SIRI - Was doing great. Was actually in at 3 and sold at 5 or so. Then I heard about NASCAR and STERN and just before Christmas put alot into it thinking it was going to have a big rum. Was I mistaken. Down 20 % since Stern sold his 200 million worth of shares. Friggin Asshole.

BCRX - Pumped this one for a 22 % gain in 3 days when the bird flu pandemic came about. Not even really bird flu related but took the advice of a message board member and gained 200 dollars in one week. :) Wouldn't touch it now though.

Goog - Got in on the IPO with three shares :). Still own one. Up almost 300 % Was broke as hell at the time.

ADSX - Bought at .40 cents. Reverse split. Lost my ass :(

Now I really don't know what to invest in. Most of my money is still in CSCO and now SIRI. Actually only two stocks I own. I'm no genius that's for sure. Had some good luck but had alot of really bad luck also. Wanted to get in on CHK but decided to buy SIRI instead like a dumbass. Natural Gas was what I should have put my money in but didn't. The pump and dump and short is for the more savy investors. I'm not that I can assure you that. Oh wells it has taught me how money works and has been quite the learning expierance. Plus, my 401 k is up big :) !

Users who are viewing this thread