Internet Explorer Issues

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
When I'm browsing on IE10 (work...), I get requests to download something every time I go to a different page on SVTP.

Running IE 11 here from a personal laptop and having a similar time over the last few days. The side ads often do not load, and frequently the site will crash IE forcing it to close, then re-open my tabs.

Also in the Pics and Video section I got a pop-up asking me to save, run, or cancel "sync" from audience.powerlinks.com

Generally the site has been very slow/buggy and really makes it hard to browse the forum.

Anything you could look into?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Ive had this issue too. Andriod phone does it. Both IE11 and google chrome do it.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Have you tried a different browser?

Honestly I haven't, I don't run anything else, but tapatalk works fine on iPhone and Android.

So far this is the only site giving me grief on the internet, and this issue only started around the time the upgrade notification was posted. Before, sometimes the site would be a little slow, maybe a count of 1, 2, to load a page, but nothing to complain about. Currently it crashed twice just trying to check back in on this thread.

I don't have issues posting, or anything else, just the initial loading of a page or a thread can crash everything.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
you guys just need to upgrade to a premium account

Admin

Jack of all trades
Administrator
Running IE 11 here from a personal laptop and having a similar time over the last few days. The side ads often do not load, and frequently the site will crash IE forcing it to close, then re-open my tabs.

Also in the Pics and Video section I got a pop-up asking me to save, run, or cancel "sync" from audience.powerlinks.com

Generally the site has been very slow/buggy and really makes it hard to browse the forum.

Anything you could look into?

I haven't used IE in ages, for any reason other than downloading Chrome on a new computer.
I know IE 11 can be buggy with vBulletin, I'll look into it today or tomorrow.

In the mean time, I highly recommend you give Chrome a try https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/

Browser usage breakdown on SVTP over the past 30days:
  • Chrome: 39.06%
  • Safari: 32.62%
  • Internet Explorer: 12.01%
  • Firefox: 10.46%
  • Android Browser: 3.35%
  • Safari (in-app): 1.13%

I'm surprised to see IE beating out Firefox

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You're not the only one surprised to see more users browsing with IE instead of Firefox. I tend to use FF myself (though it has seemed slower over the last month or so on all the site I visit).

Admin

Jack of all trades
Administrator

I just spent a few minutes in IE11 and from what I can initially see, the pages load/render quickly, but I'm not able to interact with it for a second or two. (i.e. no scrolling or clicking)

The only blocking error I see in IE dev tools is from Facebook's all.js script which is used to enable the FB like button functionality. When I disable FB forum wide, the page load / interaction issue is still there.

I'll see if I can find any clues as to why, it's doing what it's doing

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
That is one of the issues I experience, but I have noticed a consistent failure to display any Yahoo sourced ads, the bottom right vertical banners. The speed part vendor ads load flawlessly, top and top right.

Perhaps that is an avenue to explore?

As a anecdotal point, I was an exclusive Firefox user from 2009-2012, but a few later updates didn't play well with sites like YouTube, so once my Windows 7 machines were replaced with Windows 8 platforms I didn't bother going back to FF.

Admin

Jack of all trades
Administrator
That is one of the issues I experience, but I have noticed a consistent failure to display any Yahoo sourced ads, the bottom right vertical banners. The speed part vendor ads load flawlessly, top and top right.

Perhaps that is an avenue to explore?

As a anecdotal point, I was an exclusive Firefox user from 2009-2012, but a few later updates didn't play well with sites like YouTube, so once my Windows 7 machines were replaced with Windows 8 platforms I didn't bother going back to FF.

I don't think the ads are the issue, I logged into a premium member test account (no ads) and although the duration was shorter, I still had to wait a second or so before I was able to interact with the page.
I ran an IE compliance test for this site on https://www.modern.ie and it passed.

I'll spend some time looking into it when I get a chance, hopefully this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
There is a reason why MS is discontinuing that piece of crap.

Admin

Jack of all trades
Administrator
I spent some time last night and this morning with IE 11 and realized why I dread using it. It's a colossal resource hog.

With a single tab, loading only the SVTP forum homepage it was using 320MB of memory and CPU utilization hovered between 8-14% even when I wasn't interacting with the site. SO I closed IE, reopened it and went to another popular automotive forum to compare, similar result, 280MB of memory used and CPU utilization of 6-10%.

So I did some research and not surprisingly there are a ton of people having issues with IE. The most thorough article I found is here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...some-web/4021b63c-4cf3-45b9-a728-1dbc8ad1705c

I ran the FixIt tool http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ie_performance_and_safety but it didn't find anything except for a data execution setting that they recommended be changed.

So I went back to seeing if I could find fault with the site, I loaded the site with a "in private" tab and it must have hung for at least 10-15 seconds. I then loaded 5 other forums and the common thread I found, is that the more ads and external JavaScript calls they have, the longer the site "hangs".

I logged into SVTP with a premium test account (no ads) and it was significantly better. There was still a very brief moment of "hanging" while the site rendered, but it was on par with any other major site I visited with IE 11.

We load our ads asynchronously through Google DFP, it shouldn't be causing the page to hang.
I've tested Chrome, Firefox and Safari and they all allow you to interact (scroll and click) with the page while the ads and other scripts load.

I'm going to do some more research to see if there's a way to fix this in IE 11.

Admin

Jack of all trades
Administrator
I just ran a test on http://www.webpagetest.org and the results are a bit unbelievable.

Here's the forum home page visit using Chrome:
BOGz1on.png

and here's the same page using IE 11:
ALCwTKH.png

The page load time in Chrome is less than 5 seconds, in IE11 it's barely under a minute, with 4 times as many request.
Something is definitely wrong

Admin

Jack of all trades
Administrator
Quick update: I'm still working on it, the problem seems to be caused by one of our ad inventory providers.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Thanks for looking into it, just visiting this thread resulted in a 20-25 second hang time before I could scroll or interact with the page.

Even though I ran through everything on my end, virus/malware/etc and came back with no issues, I am glad to see a confirmation that the issue is repeatable and not centric to my persoanl equipment.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
So glad this is being addressed. I've been trying to get to the bottom of this page to make this problem aware for what seems like a couple weeks now but i couldn't get the page to load far enough until now. Godspeed Admin! Bring us home!

Admin

Jack of all trades
Administrator
Another update: I've already spent a ton of time on this issue, but feel it's worth it, since 12% to 17% of visitors use Internet Explorer. That said, I really dislike IE 11, it's a slow resource hog. I implore you to try Chrome or Firefox.

Here's what I've found, IE 11 is reporting "SEC7111: HTTPS security is compromised" errors on most page loads. I tracked it down to one of our Ad Network Exchanges (our most profitable one), I opened a support ticket. Their tech was helpful and really looked into it. Here's what she said:
Thanks for providing the network data along with the specific error message you are encountering. Based on my research, this issue stems from an IE browser bug that incorrectly throws security alerts. The SSL tag call to cdn.w55c.net does not return any non-SSL elements, yet the browser still throws these security errors.

Details:

I was able to isolate the SSL https://cdn.w55c.net call on to its own HTML test page (see attached ssltest.html file). In this test, we remove the ad tag code as a possible cause for the error.

If you upload ssltest.html to a webserver and open it up in IE11, you will see:

1. Two console SEC7111 errors, similar to the one you are reporting:
See screenshot: IE11-Console_tab_SSL_Error_Bug__Snap 2015-04-01 at 14.14.52.png

2. Under the Network tab however, we see that all calls stemming from this SSL https://cdn.w55c.net are indeed all HTTPS. None of the subsequent calls are non-SSL. This points to an issue with IE browser inadvertently throwing security errors.

See screenshot: IE11-Network_tab_SSL_Error_Bug_Snap 2015-04-01 at 14.08.13.png

There is a bug logged with Microsoft, but is still listed as an open issue:
F12 Console shows "HTTPS security is compromised by itself"
https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/fe...shows-https-security-is-compromised-by-itself

None of the other browsers I've tested have reported anything similar, only IE 11.

Another thing I've noticed is the way the IE 11 handles our display ads. We "daisy chain" our ad calls across several ad networks. IE 11 doesn't seem to handle the extra calls like other browsers and freaks out.

And now, to throw a gigantic wrench into this entire exercise, I checked our Google Analytics account, which has site speed reporting. I isolated the data to just the forum and segmented it on browser type. Unfortunately it doesn't allow me to drill down to browser version. Here's how the page load time broken down by browser for the past week looks like:

rtVxx0n.png

Yeah, so Internet Explorer ranks as the fastest.... :??:

That can't be right? so I checked another data source. We use pingdom.com to monitor site up-time and server responsiveness. They have an analytical component that provides data similar to Google Anlaytics, but in real-time. Here's their browser speed breakdown: (note that this is a measure of DOMContentLoaded, which is fired when the document has been completely loaded and parsed, without waiting for stylesheets, images, and subframes to finish loading)

suUl3xb.png

Just as I suspected, faster than Chrome, twice as fast as Firefox.

eoftzsG.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread