• SHO Shop

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Other

Votes: 17 45.9%

• Total voters

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by all costume SVT
i actually took it off. the rpm's were going too low and the car would shut off when i come to a stop. so i scraped the ram air. but the problem was like this since i bought the car.

I'm not sure I follow, why would the RAM Air cause your rpm's to go too low, I'm not seeing the connection?!

all costume SVT

Established Member
i assumed that it took too long for the air to reach the throbel body. unlike the stock bow when it is right next to it. that or it could have been the MAF unit and it wasn't receving enough air to keep the RPM's up. that and it realy ate the gas even more. it worked grate thoe, mostly at high rpm's.
Today i'm going to a engine shop and see if they can do some tests. also clean out my manifolds. I cleaned my throdel body and now my gaspedel doesn't stick anymore, so i'm happy about that!

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
That's interesting. I would think that you wouldn't have a problem of enough air in the chamber, because then you would start to create a vaccume. That said, I noticed that the tube that you used, was one of those flexible kinds that you can attach to a dryer machine. My friend used PCV pipe which is much smoother and less restrictive on the air flow. Good luck with the engine, I can't wait to hear what the problem really is.

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
You're better off without it. Putting ram air on newer cars is pretty much a waste of time IMO. You car is is sucking in more air than the ram air can supply.

all costume SVT

Established Member
yea, this friday i'm letting my friend, in a machine shop, clean my upper and lower manifolds. Hay you can't beet FREE! I'm not that way i'll hook him up. so we'll see if that helps. QUESTION, when i bought my car it came with a strait pipe from the cat back. I was wondering if their was a sencer on the exhust on ither side of the cat because...before i added anything like the flomasters i didn't see a sencer. it or was their ever one befor or behind the cat? maby i'm missing a sencer? but that comes back to the tester that i plugged into the dash saying pass? i just don't know!!!!! AND ITS DRIVING ME CARZY

Y2KSVT

Established Member
I can't believe I can actually read your posts there Costume. I'd seriously look into taking a course in punctuation, grammar and spelling.

As far as the original question goes, you may "think" the homemade setup looks ghetto, but it is actually better looking than the KKM unit. With the money you are saving from buying the KKM, you can go ahead and put it towards a BAT or CTA Intake Pipe which will definitely help in the "show" department, and even with the performance aspect. I believe duratecperformance.com has a MAF Adapter for around $20? The K&N RU-3530 can be had for ~$40.00. I believe the BAT/CTA Pipes are $75.00 a piece. So from $60-135 you will have a WAY better looking, and MUCH better performing intake than the KKM/SHOShop units.

The UIM/LIM cleaning isn't all that bad if you give yourself the time to do it. If you try and rush, it ends up biting you in the ass. Take some time, get the materials/parts you need and do it right. And yes, the SHO intake cleaning was a pain in my ass when I had mine!

Mark

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
Here's a question... What is the opinion out there of taking the KKM set up, while using a home made heat shield, as well as installing one of those "tornado" air circulators directly after the air filter? Would the tornado help with the inverse cone's air turbulence? Just a thought!

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
Jason43 said:
Heatshield=very good.

Tornado=very bad.

Can you explain why the Tornado=very bad? It just seems from a physics standpoint that twisting the airflow into a tornado type pattern would increase the speed and consistancy at which the air travels. Kind of like spinning a 2 liter soda bottle while pouring out the contents. I may be wrong, but I'm curious to find out.

Thanks.

Goonz SVT

Established Member
I have the K&N RU-3530 Intake. It was cheaper then the SHO shop and KKM. I guess there were cases where the KKM intake was known to implode. I am very happy with the K&N I have, I'm probably gonna buy the SHO shop heat shield because it looks neat and clean then a custom one that I made

BLACKSVTCONTOUR

GOT SVT?
Established Member
guys i have the kkm and i bought it cus of the price, i'm having second thoughts on this filter, it gets too damn dirty... i may just go out and buy a heatshield, i also never heard of any problems with the maf on the 98's, but i replaced mine anyway with the bigger 75mm, not a neccessary mod, until you put a supercharger on, but i wanted the extra hp

fasvtcontour00

Established Member
I'm thinking about either switching to the BAT kit w/remote air hose or the Injen kit, both kits are on ctamotorsports.com but they're much more costly than the ones previously discussed here. I'd like to know if you guys think they would be worth the money. The BAT kit w/remote air hose looks like it would definetaly be sucking in colder air, but it has the reverse cone filter. pros/cons? :shrug:

BLACKSVTCONTOUR

GOT SVT?
Established Member
that bat intake looks stupid with the dumbass blue hose, i think i'm gonna buy the injen intake, even tho they are both more costly than the kkm, doesn't really matter to me

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
Dead horse beaten, stabbed, shot and beaten some more....

K&N ru-3530, maf adapter, heatshield. The reasons why this setup outperforms the others have been discussed numerous times on here and CEG.
The BAT intake has the reverse cone filter(=turbulant airflow) and would still be sucking in hot air since the filter is not enclosed. The Injen looks to be the exact same thing as the homeade setup, only with a smaller filter and MAF adapter. It even says on CTA's webpage that it must be adapted to fit the SVT. I don't know why anyone would want to spend the money on an intake when the homeade intake is half the price and performs better. If you guys insist on buying an actual pre-made kit, go over to NECO and buy the GMK intake.

pittdood20

what's up guys i'm new to this whole mods thing w/ cars being i just bought my first car a 98 CSVT. i love the way it runs now even though it is still completely stock. i've been reading this thread and it seems like the best air filter for an intake would be the K&N ru-3530. where can i find a mass air flow adapter so i can attach the filter? also has anyone tried the plastic trash can idea and does it resist melting and warping w/ the engine heat? one final question is where can i find like a repair manual or cd-rom that will show me how to do mods/maintanence on my CSVT?
adam

JCSVT

V6 Powa!!
Established Member
pittdood20 said:
what's up guys i'm new to this whole mods thing w/ cars being i just bought my first car a 98 CSVT. i love the way it runs now even though it is still completely stock. i've been reading this thread and it seems like the best air filter for an intake would be the K&N ru-3530. where can i find a mass air flow adapter so i can attach the filter? also has anyone tried the plastic trash can idea and does it resist melting and warping w/ the engine heat? one final question is where can i find like a repair manual or cd-rom that will show me how to do mods/maintanence on my CSVT?
adam

SP Motorsports carries the MAF adapter. The trashcan won't warp. Go to the CEG as they have many write-ups and how-to's on many common Contour maintenence procedures.

Users who are viewing this thread