Votes: 12 32.4%
  • SHO Shop

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Other

Votes: 17 45.9%

• Total voters

LateralFace

Established Member
Ok, I just got the CSVT and the first thing to do is obviously the intake. I have got it narrowed down to two different ones. The first is the KKM($96), because of price and it goes into the fenderwell to hopefully pull cold air from the outside. The problem I see with this one is that the filter is not a K&N(which I trust) and that it has no shielding from the engine heat. The second choice is the SHO Shop intake($150). The advantge of this one is the heatshield from engine heat, and I have heard that it uses a K&N filter(even though it says K&N Style). The downsides I see is just the price. To me the KKM looks much cleaner, and if the SHO Shop intake doesn't really use a K&N, thats a dealbreaker for me right there. Let me hear it peoples, what are your votes and what experience to you have as far as HP and MPG for both of them?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
MAF Adapter + Huge KN (I forget the number of the top of my head, but I know DemonSVT has posted it) and home made heat shield.

Steeltwo

Established Member
what do you use for a heatshield?

where do you get the maf adapter

and thats all my questions :-D

all costume SVT

Established Member
filter

e-bay has adapters every now and then. But i have this filter that is almost see through it. its just a fine mesh cone made out of alumnin and thats it. Holly Shi#. talk about a difference i ganed all around power and it screams when you hit the beginning of the powerband. I'll put a pict up, still dont know the name. also you only will get about 170 to the tank.

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
Re: filter

Originally posted by all costume SVT
e-bay has adapters every now and then. But i have this filter that is almost see through it. its just a fine mesh cone made out of alumnin and thats it. Holly Shi#. talk about a difference i ganed all around power and it screams when you hit the beginning of the powerband. I'll put a pict up, still dont know the name. also you only will get about 170 to the tank.

That sounds like a horrible filter to use! Stick with K&N. If you're getting 170 to the tank, youve got other problems to worry about besides the filter. You should get better milage.
Ajusa.com has the cheapest price on the K&N. Mafadapters.com for the adapter. For the heatshield, I used a black office trash can from Lowes. Trashcans, plastic containers...use your imagination.
engine3.JPG

all costume SVT

Established Member
yea i took it off because it skrues with the rpm's. whats the normal gass mileage for our cars? and whats yours with the filter? and is it worth getting the k&n for the stock box? i ripped out the intake part in the fender, it was doing no good i thought!

LateralFace

Established Member
Hmm, maybe you guys don't see where I am coming from. I understand that a homemade intake will give me a slight advantage over the premade ones, but they are UGLY. I am really going toward the KKM because of how awesome the thing looks. We inherently have slow cars so I want to go for more show than go. I just wanted to make sure that the KKM will give me better performance and MPG than the drop in K&N. I am willing to pay the extra 36 bucks for looks.

Oh and before you think I am contour bashing, I just meant that we are slow compared to other SVT's (Cobra's, Lightnings), not to rice machines. So don't go bashing me for that.

LateralFace

Established Member
oh yeah and right now I am getting about 300 miles to the tank, so there is something really wrong with yours All Costume.

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
Re: filter

Originally posted by all costume SVT

Since I replaced my original CAT with another stock one, I have been getting around 29 MPG! That's about 400 per tank!!

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by LateralFace
Hmm, maybe you guys don't see where I am coming from. I understand that a homemade intake will give me a slight advantage over the premade ones, but they are UGLY. I am really going toward the KKM because of how awesome the thing looks. We inherently have slow cars so I want to go for more show than go. I just wanted to make sure that the KKM will give me better performance and MPG than the drop in K&N. I am willing to pay the extra 36 bucks for looks.

Oh and before you think I am contour bashing, I just meant that we are slow compared to other SVT's (Cobra's, Lightnings), not to rice machines. So don't go bashing me for that.

If you could only choose between a KKM and a SHO shop, which one gives the better performance? I too think the KKM looks pretty nice, but is the price and the performance of the SHO Shop intake worth it?

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
"I too think the KKM looks pretty nice, but is the price and the performance of the SHO Shop intake worth it?"

No. The SHO shops intake has a couple bad points to it. First, price. Second, the poorly designed metal heat sheild. Third, price.
The KKM- No heatshield=heatsoak. Second, it has an inverted cone filter which have been proven to loose power because of the turbulant airflow they create.

"yea i took it off because it skrues with the rpm's. whats the normal gass mileage for our cars? and whats yours with the filter? and is it worth getting the k&n for the stock box? i ripped out the intake part in the fender, it was doing no good i thought!"

30 mpg or around that. A drop in K&N is worth it if keeping the stock airbox, but by removing the fender draw, you are going to be sucking in hot air from the engine bay. Thedraw is a restriction, but any gain you would get by removing it would most likely be offset by the hotter air. Replacing the fender draw with a large piece of hose would be the best bet.

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
Originally posted by LateralFace

In all honesty, I would keep the stock airbox with a K&N before choosing the KKM. It is a nice looking intake, but just has too many negatives IMO. The main being the lack of a heatshield. Plus, for the $100 price tag of the KKM, you are basically getting a filter and a MAF adapter. You might as well buy the better K&N filter and the MAF adapter separately for half the price.

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Jason43
In all honesty, I would keep the stock airbox with a K&N before choosing the KKM. It is a nice looking intake, but just has too many negatives IMO. The main being the lack of a heatshield. Plus, for the $100 price tag of the KKM, you are basically getting a filter and a MAF adapter. You might as well buy the better K&N filter and the MAF adapter separately for half the price.

In your opinion, what if you went with the KKM and constructed a small heat shield? Would that effectively eliminate some of the drawbacks?

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
If you did that the final product would be the same thing as the homade setup with a crappy inverse cone filter.

Last edited:

all costume SVT

Established Member
holly crap!!!!!!!!!!
Since I replaced my original CAT with another stock one, I have been getting around 29 MPG! That's about 400 per tank!!

thats carzy.. in a good way! i wonder y i don't get that. i took the filter off and put the stock back on. i'm getting about 260/270. what is the prob with mine? I only have some mods like exhust.....2 flowmasters 40's, no strait pipe cat, and a res. about the size of 17 inches. thats it. i took off the 17's and put on the 5 spoke svt wheels. i don't get it? could any of this be a problem? 400....WOW!!

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
What plugs/wires are you using? What are they gapped at?
I'd start by doing all the regular maintanance. Plugs, wires, UIM/LIM cleaning etc. Could be problems with the brakes as well.

all costume SVT

Established Member
the wires are fact. the plugs are platnum and the brakes i gust changed them all to cross drilled roters front & back. whats a "UIM/LIM cleaning etc."?

Steeltwo

Established Member
i'm getting about 320ish per full tank and thats with a plugged cat.

i love that trash can idea. i'm going to a place to size one up.

all costume SVT

Established Member
are you all getting into it......like geesing it or just granny shifting? or shifting before 4,000 RPM's

Users who are viewing this thread