• Other

Votes: 17 45.9%

• Total voters

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
UIM= upper intake manifold
LIM= lower intake manifold
The intake on our cars gets very dirty from the oil vapor being pumped through it from the pcv system and needs to be cleaned every now and then.
I don't drive like an old lady, but I don't push my car full throttle all the time either. Either way, you should be getting better than 170. Did you notice the bad gas mileage about the same time you put the brakes on? I'd be willing to bet they have something to do with it.

Last edited:

all costume SVT

Established Member
NO THE DRAKES WERE PUT ON LAST SUNDAY AND I HAVE BEEN GETTING BAD GASS MLAGE FOR ABOUT A CUPPLE OF MOUNTHS. (sorry that it in all caps) is it easy to clean the UIM= upper intake manifold and LIM= lower intake manifold? what do you use to clean it? and how long? Thankyou for the help!

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
"is it easy to clean the UIM= upper intake manifold and LIM= lower intake manifold? what do you use to clean it? and how long? Thankyou for the help!"

No, its a major pain in the ass, but well worth it. You basically have to tear apart both intake manifolds, clean and replace all gaskets etc. There is a detailed how to on contour.org.

I've also heard nothing about problems with the 98 MAF's, but could be wrong. It may be related to the MAF. Are you running a computer chip or anything like that? Hows the car run? Does it feel like its running ok?

all costume SVT

Established Member
the car is beast, and some of my friends with sho's say it has about the same tourk! i don't have any computer chips that i kno of. I bought the car from a used dealership and i made my macankc look and drive it and he said it has more power then any otuer csvt he drove! so i guess thats good. He also said the clutch isn't factory... it feels like a stage 2. and the tourk is alsome.
i don't drive it hard all the time just pimp it until a honda comes along!! HA HA. but it drives grate for me. my friend has a 98 also and his car drives smother then mine thoe..... but i didn't ask about the gas. I love my Baby thoe!!!

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
I would check for a chip somewhere. It may have been installed before you bought it. You also might want to look for one of those "piggyback" things. My understanding is that they allow you to dump more fuel into the engine to get more power. It would make sense if your mech. said that the car has more power than any other CSVT that he's driven. Just a thought...

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
If you are talking about the resistor chip mod(IAT mod), they fool the car into running rich to make more power. Unfortunately, making the car run rich does NOT mean more horsepower. This would not be why the mechanic thinks your car runs strong. In fact they have been dynoed to lose power on contours. It may be the reason for the bad gas mileage. Look for a radio shack resistor spliced into the wire on the IAT, which is on the accordian intake tube. You may want check, as stated , for an actual ecu chip(superchip, diablo etc). It would be plugged into the computer itself.

BTW, your car should be on par with a pre 96 SHO;-)

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
All in all it could be anything. Computer problems, MAF, bad chip, clogged EGR, bad O2 sensor, brakes, low tire pressure. IIRC, arent you the guy with the HUGE spoiler? May be that as well or a combination of any of these.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Actually, its quite easy. If you think cleaning the duratec 2.5L UIM is a pain in the ass, try cleaning the V6 SHO Intake.

Originally posted by Jason43
"is it easy to clean the UIM= upper intake manifold and LIM= lower intake manifold? what do you use to clean it? and how long? Thankyou for the help!"

No, its a major pain in the ass, but well worth it. You basically have to tear apart both intake manifolds, clean and replace all gaskets etc. There is a detailed how to on contour.org.

I've also heard nothing about problems with the 98 MAF's, but could be wrong. It may be related to the MAF. Are you running a computer chip or anything like that? Hows the car run? Does it feel like its running ok?

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
Lol, actually, I have. My dad has a 95 SHO. To date I've helped him put a timing belt on it, a clutch and clean the intake. All of which were a major PITA. Nothing is easy on that car.

all costume SVT

Established Member
the spoiler is just 5 lbs. and the car has everything stock with the intake stuff. my budy has that thing you plug into the dash to tell you what things you have wrong and my car comes up Passing which means there is nothing worng? that is odd i think! I don't get it! Were would i check if the guy before me put i a Superchip? isn't that internel or under the dash far back?

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
I'm talking about wind resistance as far as the spoiler is concerned. Those things are made for looks not aerodynamics.
The scanner most likely isn't going to come up with anything unless you are getting a check engine light.
The superchip would be plugged into the computer module, which is located under the dash on the passenger side. There is a bolt holding it in that is located right behind the power steering resivior in the engine compartment and a bracket that holds it in under the dash.

Last edited:

all costume SVT

Established Member
is it behind the glove box by the factory amp? and hs that the way you have to take it off? you unclip the engine first then the inside one? it's confusing. how will i be able to tell? The spoiler is no bigger then the factory one, and that doesn't slow them it down?!!

all costume SVT

Established Member
i looked at your page and you get 400 to the tank with all of that stuff done............ HOLLY SH#T!!!!!!! your car runs what 14.0" 13.8's? dam son!

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
Who me? I wish it ran 13's. Most of the mods will actually give you better mileage by making your engine more efficient.
Maybe I'm thinking of someone else with the spoiler.
Right off the top of my head, I cant really remember if the comp is behind the glove box or under the dash. Its around there somewhere.

Last edited:

all costume SVT

Established Member
over all how much do you think you put into your car? aso i think i will have to take my car to a better makanic. one who is grate with engines or a performance shop. that way they will know the gas problem. do you know how much it costs to get the manifolds cleaned? i better let some one else mess with it because of the correct tourking of the bolts! Iwouldn't wont to skrue that up!!!! with all the mods to your car do you think it was worth it?

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
Money wise, have no idea off the top of my head. Some of the best mods were free or close to it. They are definately worth it, especially when I ride in a stock SVT and get back into mine.
If you have somewhat decent mechanical skills, you should be able to do the intake. You may want to get a cd-rom service manual or at least a haynes manual from your local parts store. That should help you out alot.

all costume SVT

Established Member
you have to tourk the bolts, right? i need to buy one of thoes renches. their not that much. i have the book that tells you haw to take apart your engine so i'll take a look at it.

all costume SVT

Established Member
i actually took it off. the rpm's were going too low and the car would shut off when i come to a stop. so i scraped the ram air. but the problem was like this since i bought the car.

Users who are viewing this thread