Intake Spacer...

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Hello, so all the 3/8 spacers are gone?

For now, I have all 3/8" spacers reserved or sold.

Put me down for a 1/2'' spacer, I'm sure it would do something for a 5.0L stroker turbo car...

Enrique,
I have a 1/2" spacer reserved for both you and Chris (98 Saleen Cobra).

3 1/2" spacers still available. EGR must be removed. Re-tune required.

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
I might be selling my 3/8" spacer soon..since I am going to a carburetor setup.

For now, I have all 3/8" spacers reserved or sold.

3 1/2" spacers still available. EGR must be removed. Re-tune required.
Question for either of you two: Do you have any info on the spacers mentioned here and there before that lower your K member?

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Tim,
The customer dyno'd his car on a dyno he is on all the time with the spacer as the only mod and picked up good gains in HP and Tq. Corey's car has quite a few mods that help it breath better. Isn't it possible that the upper plenum was the restriction in his engine?

Dyno a stock engine, both before and after LT headers are installed. The stock engine won't gain near as much HP from the LT headers as an engine with a ported intake, ported heads and camshafts would.

So is it the LT headers fault that they didn't make as much HP on the stock engine, as they did on the modified engine?

Id like to know the mods on the cars that you say gained nothing and lost HP and the thickness of the intake spacer used?

I dont remember the mods off the top of my head. If you reference the thread 006 posted and the usernames I provided you can find the details.

If I wasnt clear I'll reiterate: I'm not against the mod, I'm not a huge advocate for it. There is too much conflicting data to have a strong opinion one way or the other. It seems like it should help by allowing a more even distribution of air into the six feeder ports. There is nothing about it that would make anyone think it would cause a loss of power anywhere in the powerband, yet we have actual dyno sheets and user testimony of it doing exactly that. Why? I dont know. In the case of losing power up high it has been hypothesized that it's because the extra air causes the engine to go lean and lose power. But, a naturally aspirated engine doesnt lose power in the upper RPM's by going a little lean. It can lose torque in the mid range but not HP up top. Additionally, some who have lost power in the upper RPM's have clearly stated that a/f remained the same.

There is another possibility. While doing flow bench testing on the stock intake I found that certain feeder port configurations caused the port to stall. A mismatch between the intake ports ability to accept the air and the amount of air hitting the intrance from the feeder causes problems. This is a contributing factor to a lot of ported intakes making little or no power. Part of the pressure equalization equation is determined by what is happening in the upper plenum area. There is a relationship there that is important for optimum performance, especially in the upper RPM's.

I havent spend any time R&D'ing these plenum spacers so I cant answer the million dollar question. All I can do is look at the body of evidence and draw some conclusions. If you are forcing me to give an opinion one way or the other, I will say that there seems to be more evidence for the spacer being beneficial than not in a 6500 RPM and under combo. Above that, I will not rule out that it could be beneficial with the right combination of supporting parts.

Todd

Lumpydogs

Established Member
Anthony, I'll take a 1/2" spacer if it fits '01 Cobra intake, just let me know, If not, I'll take a 3/8" spacer if any of the reserved orders backs out.

I can Paypal promptly upon your response.

Thanks

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
anthony you said a re-tune is required for the 1/2'' spacer. Now is that because of the EGR delete?? Because right now my EGR is deleted so if I put this on are you saying that I will still need a Re-tune?? Or no?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Anthony, I'll take a 1/2" spacer if it fits '01 Cobra intake, just let me know, If not, I'll take a 3/8" spacer if any of the reserved orders backs out.

I can Paypal promptly upon your response.

Thanks

Jeff,
I have a 1/2" spacer reserved for you at the $115 price.

Paypal: [email protected]

Thank you. :beer:

anthony you said a re-tune is required for the 1/2'' spacer. Now is that because of the EGR delete?? Because right now my EGR is deleted so if I put this on are you saying that I will still need a Re-tune?? Or no?

Chris,
A re-tune is only required due to EGR removal.

Hi Anthony. Payment sent for a 3/8" spacer.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,
Payment received. :beer:

I'll have these spacers picked up by the 8th of June. I'll get them all boxed up and shipped out promptly.

Thank you,
Anthony
(785)658-5921

zPipes

Established Member
Tmhutch - It appears to be the case that the max rpms youd want to shift at are 6500 with this mod, i agree from the data we have seen here. In reality thats not all that bad.. I'm fine losin a few hundred rpms for a potential 10 hp gain. It is very odd though, and does force the question... did Ford intentionally not create a larger space inside for just this reason??!

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I'm not sure why the spacers show gains on some cars and not on others. I do think the supporting airflow mods need to be there or else the engine doesn't need the added plenum volume and performance is hurt rather than helped.

BTW, TmHutch aka Todd sorry for calling you Tim, your user name led me to think your name was Tim.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Tmhutch - It is very odd though, and does force the question... did Ford intentionally not create a larger space inside for just this reason??!

Maybe but there isnt enough room to go higher and still meet any kind of clearance engineering from the factory. There is room to go lower but that would require moving the intake runners lower causing a more dramatic bend in the port that would have hurt performace. I guess it's just hard to say.

I'm not sure why the spacers show gains on some cars and not on others. I do think the supporting airflow mods need to be there or else the engine doesn't need the added plenum volume and performance is hurt rather than helped.

Sounds reasonable to me.

BTW, TmHutch aka Todd sorry for calling you Tim, your user name led me to think your name was Tim.

lol, no worries. I've been called worse.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
To everyone considering the 1/2" one - I think I remember reading that you can actually use a 03/04 Cobra EGR valve/tubing since it is longer to reach to the top of the blower. Don't quote me on it, but I think I remember reading it in the "Intake Spacer (revisited)..." thread.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
To everyone considering the 1/2" one - I think I remember reading that you can actually use a 03/04 Cobra EGR valve/tubing since it is longer to reach to the top of the blower. Don't quote me on it, but I think I remember reading it in the "Intake Spacer (revisited)..." thread.

I'm working on an EGR adapter and an install kit to help with bending the EGR tube to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread