installing long tubes

2rbo97svt

Established Member
Yes sir. Any particular reason you are going with JBA's over another brand? I was sold on the Pypes headers, but am going to bite the bullet and get 1 3/4" Kooks, due to the countless people have fitment issues with the Pypes.
If the Kooks headers are ANYTHING like their axle back, I'm in for a treat.

Actually I have been reading and I read the kooks had fitment issues. Well first theyre cheaper then any other and so far for what I have read they fit perfect.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Actually I have been reading and I read the kooks had fitment issues. Well first theyre cheaper then any other and so far for what I have read they fit perfect.

Hmm… I was turned on to the Kooks by a shop that has done quite a few installs of the Kooks with zero issues…Who knows.

2rbo97svt

Established Member
Hmm… I was turned on to the Kooks by a shop that has done quite a few installs of the Kooks with zero issues…Who knows.

Is a shop, they have easier access to things and make things easier with lifts etc. For my that is doing it on jack stands and the power gain im sure is the same, ling tubes are long tubes arent they ? Maybe 1 ot 2 hp difference.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
JBA is the cheapest as far as LT headers go, and kooks from what I've read here isnt so bad. Now SW on the other hand is a nightmare with fitment, I've heard of a couple of unsatisfied owners selling their SW LT because it was still hitting/touching components.
I've read all those stories in this section of the forums too... :read:

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Is a shop, they have easier access to things and make things easier with lifts etc. For my that is doing it on jack stands and the power gain im sure is the same, ling tubes are long tubes arent they ? Maybe 1 ot 2 hp difference.

Results vary….Some say exactly that…Long tubes are long tubes, but others think the opposite. I have been in contact with a certain popular individual on here who recommends them….and his word I will heed. I'll leave it at that.

2rbo97svt

Established Member
Results vary….Some say exactly that…Long tubes are long tubes, but others think the opposite. I have been in contact with a certain popular individual on here who recommends them….and his word I will heed. I'll leave it at that.

Recommends which one ?

2rbo97svt

Established Member
Looks like JBAs are the winners, i cant afford a 1000 dollar headers specially now that my wife is due on may and i need to save some extra cash lol. Thanks for all the help fellas, quick responses and very helpful hints.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Looks like JBAs are the winners, i cant afford a 1000 dollar headers specially now that my wife is due on may and i need to save some extra cash lol. Thanks for all the help fellas, quick responses and very helpful hints.

No problem. Good luck :beer: I'll be doing mine on jack stands too :bash:

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Keep me posted, when would you be doing yours ? We can help each other out.

Im probably looking at doing mine around the middle of next month. I'm pulling my Boss intake to port it at the same time and then getting Shawn to tune it all…Hoping for high 430's.

2rbo97svt

Established Member
Im probably looking at doing mine around the middle of next month. I'm pulling my Boss intake to port it at the same time and then getting Shawn to tune it all…Hoping for high 430's.

I just order my boss manifold, does porting it really make a difference ? Could you pm me how much it is and the info of the person doing to see if I do it as well.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
I just order my boss manifold, does porting it really make a difference ? Could you pm me how much it is and the info of the person doing to see if I do it as well.
I'll be doing it myself. I have a slew of LS intakes under my belt so I have an idea what I'm doing. I'm not going crazy with it. I'll probably just take a little material out from around the injector bosses and clean up the inlet a little. It will probably only net 5 rwhp...10 if I'm suuuuuuper lucky.
If you search, there are quite a few threads about doing it. I considered making the jump to the Cobra Jet, but I can't justify the cost for the small/moderate increase over a ported boss…..for the CJ, In addition to the manifold itself, you need a mono-blade TB, and 4-5" intake to tie it all in…..plus the boss, or in my case, the Steeda strut brace, won't fit over it.

Last edited:

2rbo97svt

Established Member
I'll be doing it myself. I have a slew of LS intakes under my belt so I have an idea what I'm doing. I'm not going crazy with it. I'll probably just take a little material out from around the injector bosses and clean up the inlet a little. It will probably only net 5 rwhp...10 if I'm suuuuuuper lucky.
If you search, there are quite a few threads about doing it. I considered making the jump to the Cobra Jet, but I can't justify the cost for the small/moderate increase over a ported boss…..for the CJ, In addition to the manifold itself, you need a mono-blade TB, and 4-5" intake to tie it all in…..plus the boss, or in my case, the Steeda strut brace, won't fit over it.

I bought the ford racing manifold kit with the tuner and intake kit. I called them to ask and make sure that I dont have to buy any extra crap and they said no. I hope everything goes well with the install. As you mention the price is not worth it unless you are making big hp and love the look. I love the look of the CJ but man is expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread