installing long tubes

2rbo97svt

Established Member
Hey there guys i was planning on installing long tubes myself but i cant find any write up on this, does anyone know how hard it is to do this job ? Ill be doing in on jack stands.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Drop the K-member. I didn't drop it when I did my car and it took forever. I did somebody else's car and dropped it...so much easier

jason2833

Established Member
On a lift with a ford mechanic we did it in e hours and like 20 min. Pretty fast if u have the tools we used a air gun on every bolt except one we had to use a regular wrench.

Nuar

Established Member
Get the car up as high as you safely can on the jackstands.
Jack up with a block of wood on the transmission just before the motor a little. Undo the engine mount nuts in the engine bay. Unbolt the kmember and let it swing down, still attatched to the front suspension.
That should give you plenty of room to work.
I recommend some reverse torx sockets or ratcheting reverse torx wrenches to help remove a few studs to slip the header in.
Get some new oem exhaust manifold gaskets and most people re-use the original studs and nuts.

2rbo97svt

Established Member
Im not planning on dropping the k member and i just saw the video from CJ pony parts and they made it seem so easy lol. I'm planning on doing everything on ramps with jacks and stands. Im just afraid ill start the job and not finish it. I do have some mechanical skills and the tools required, also do i have to take the motor mounts off? if so once they're installed back on is there anything special I need to do to get everything aligned or is just a bolt on thing? Thanks for the quick response.

Nuar

Established Member
I approached the job with the same attitude as you did. I didnt want to drop the k member. I wasted like 3 hours that way. Finally i said **** it and i dropped it down. Made the job so much easier man. Then i didnt want to remove any studs, i was affraid to, again, finally i gave in and the job went smooth as butter from that point on

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Im not planning on dropping the k member and i just saw the video from CJ pony parts and they made it seem so easy lol. I'm planning on doing everything on ramps with jacks and stands. Im just afraid ill start the job and not finish it. I do have some mechanical skills and the tools required, also do i have to take the motor mounts off? if so once they're installed back on is there anything special I need to do to get everything aligned or is just a bolt on thing? Thanks for the quick response.

Just drop the k-member. You technically aren't really dropping it, just letting it hang. It takes maybe 10 extra minutes to do and gives you a lot more room to work in

momogt

Established Member
watch a friend do it in his shop with lift removed k member 3-4 hours

2rbo97svt

Established Member
Without dropping the k member

On a lift with a ford mechanic we did it in e hours and like 20 min. Pretty fast if u have the tools we used a air gun on every bolt except one we had to use a regular wrench.

Drop the K-member. I didn't drop it when I did my car and it took forever. I did somebody else's car and dropped it...so much easier

Get the car up as high as you safely can on the jackstands.
Jack up with a block of wood on the transmission just before the motor a little. Undo the engine mount nuts in the engine bay. Unbolt the kmember and let it swing down, still attatched to the front suspension.
That should give you plenty of room to work.
I recommend some reverse torx sockets or ratcheting reverse torx wrenches to help remove a few studs to slip the header in.
Get some new oem exhaust manifold gaskets and most people re-use the original studs and nuts.

what are these torx sockets ? do the header studs need to be removed ? i really dont want to do this, i dont want to screw the threads up.

04compgt

Established Member
I did it on the floor with Jackstands, I dropped the K-member, it takes an hour to drop the K-member, another hour to remove and install new headers, and another hour to put the K-member back on. It took me from start to finish 4 hours but I took breaks for a drink and stuff. I would not try it without removing the K-member, especially since it is so easy to drop it.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
what are these torx sockets ? do the header studs need to be removed ? i really dont want to do this, i dont want to screw the threads up.

You don't have to remove them, but depending on which brand you buy it might make it easier to install. I left them on with my JBA headers. I did another install with the kooks shorty headers and we removed them and replaced them with bolts.

2rbo97svt

Established Member
You don't have to remove them, but depending on which brand you buy it might make it easier to install. I left them on with my JBA headers. I did another install with the kooks shorty headers and we removed them and replaced them with bolts.

Actually im planning on buying JBA headers and all the way back. I have another question, if i install the long tube headers what do i need to make the rest of my original exhaust work?

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Actually im planning on buying JBA headers and all the way back. I have another question, if i install the long tube headers what do i need to make the rest of my original exhaust work?

You will need their mid-pipe which will mate the stock over axle pipes. You can not reuse the stock mid-pipe.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
So all i would need is just their x or h pipe?

Yes sir. Any particular reason you are going with JBA's over another brand? I was sold on the Pypes headers, but am going to bite the bullet and get 1 3/4" Kooks, due to the countless people have fitment issues with the Pypes.
If the Kooks headers are ANYTHING like their axle back, I'm in for a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread