Installing an Avic-D3 inplace of stock Mach 460 HU

TorchRed04GT

Established Member
I will be installing a avic D3 into my car sometime this spring, and I have a few questions. Now I have this same headunit in my 06 Explorer that I installed and it works perfectly I also added the radio shack voltage regulator due to the fact that I had popping when the stock amps turned on.

Now with the Mustang, I have the Mach 460 sound system and I plan on keeping the factory amps, but I want to add another amp for my subwoofer that I plan on putting in. This is the wiring harness that I plan on using.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207055...e-Harness.html

Will I need a voltage regulator for the Mach sound system?
Also when I hook up the RCA cables coming from the crutchfield harness do I hook them up to the sub output to the headuint? When I install my added amp can I just split them using a y-connector?

I've seen quite a few of you cobra owners that have installed a double din headunit into your stock system. I'm just looking for a little guidence on how to wire it up properly.

Thanks.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
When I installed my AVIC-D3. I went to a local audio shop explained what I was doing and they gave all necessary parts. I know you are going to need a Ford Reciever Wiring Harness and some kind of other adapter (I cant remember it off the top of my head). Let me look in my Avic box and see if I still have the wrappers to what other parts I used.
Only difference is I used the stock Mach 460 amps and didnt not hook up a seperate amp to run a sub. So someone else would need to chime in on how to do that. Also will you be doing the video bypassing? (Very easy to do). Here is the link.

Avic-D3 Bypass by Necro

Just looked at my wrapper left over. Its Metra wire adapter model number 70-1771. I know there are 2 peices that you have to buy or some places sell it as a kit. I think Best Buy is the place that sold it as a kit.

Last edited:

TorchRed04GT

Established Member
When I installed my AVIC-D3. I went to a local audio shop explained what I was doing and they gave all necessary parts. I know you are going to need a Ford Reciever Wiring Harness and some kind of other adapter (I cant remember it off the top of my head). Let me look in my Avic box and see if I still have the wrappers to what other parts I used.
Only difference is I used the stock Mach 460 amps and didnt not hook up a seperate amp to run a sub. So someone else would need to chime in on how to do that. Also will you be doing the video bypassing? (Very easy to do). Here is the link.

Avic-D3 Bypass by Necro

Just looked at my wrapper left over. Its Metra wire adapter model number 70-1771. I know there are 2 peices that you have to buy or some places sell it as a kit. I think Best Buy is the place that sold it as a kit.
Thanks for the response, yes I will be doing the video bypass I did it on my D3 that I installed into my explorer and it worked awesome. I just checked the link in my original post and notice that the link was bad. Here is the wiring harness that I was planning on using.

Ford Receiver Wire Harness For select 2003-up Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury models at Crutchfield.com

The RCA inputs on the harness will be hooked up to the subwoofer outputs on the D3, I'm pretty sure thats the corret way to do it.

Also did you use a voltage regulator on the amp turn on wire to get rid of any popping noise when the stock amps turned on?

TRBO VNM

correct, use the sub rca out from the headunit to the rca input on the amp. then in the head unit you will/should have independent control of the low pass. I have the avicd3, but right now only running my factory system off it. I will be changing everything out once I send my amp in for service and get it back.

gt347mustang

Established Member
Don't use the factory 460 amps... they suck. Just invest in a decent set of speakers and run them off the deck power.

That way you wont have to use the adapter kit to plug into the factory harness.

Users who are viewing this thread