Installed an HP Tuners nGauge on my 2012 F150 Coyote

Jim Ferraro

New SVT Poster
Established Member
Yeah, it's not a mustang, but the same process applies to the Coyote mustangs, save for the mounting location.
Super easy to make tuning changes via email from your preferred custom tuner with the removable SD card, and it doesn't sit in your glovebox and collect dust like a tuner does.
This particular version of the nGauge can be tuned by *anyone* with the HP Tuners software.

Works on 11-15 GT and 15 EcoBoost, too.

[video=youtube;0ROdYzZLYfI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ROdYzZLYfI[/video]

Troponin

Established Member
THe nGauge is pretty sick. I hear some people say it was a waste, while others absolutely love theirs. I almost bought one, but then decided I couldnt justify the price based on my limited knowledge of tuning and modding in my own garage. For the DIYers etc, it's an awesome tool to have. In the end, I just went with a boost gauge and will go wide band a/f down the road when I get a custom tune and void the warranty

Jim Ferraro

New SVT Poster
Established Member
Not an HPT file

I had no clue that the nGauge product used a HPT file. NICE!

If you have the HP Tuners software, you save your .hpt file locally as usual, but for your tuning customer, you create an additional file by using the "export to e-motion" function.
This produces an encrypted file that your customer can put on the SD card and the nGauge will flash the tune into the vehicle.

The difference: The encrypted file can not be altered AND your customer does not need to have HP Tuners VCM suite.
You email them the file, they load it onto the micro SD card that comes with the nGauge, plug the card back into the nGauge and flash the vehicle.

Now, if you WANT TO grant someone the power to alter their own files, you can send them a .HPT file, they can make their changes, export to e-motion, and then proceed as above.

Last edited:

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I assume that you can data log with this and if so how many passes can you get on it....comparing it to the handheld.

oldmodman

Established Member
Nice addition :thumbsup:

I hope they eventually support the 03/04 Cobras. It would be a shame if they don't support the "Fast Ford" too. :burnout:

cb900f

Established Member
If you have the HP Tuners software, you save your .hpt file locally as usual, but for your tuning customer, you create an additional file by using the "export to e-motion" function.
This produces an encrypted file that your customer can put on the SD card and the nGauge will flash the tune into the vehicle.

The difference: The encrypted file can not be altered AND your customer does not need to have HP Tuners VCM suite.
You email them the file, they load it onto the micro SD card that comes with the nGauge, plug the card back into the nGauge and flash the vehicle.

Now, if you WANT TO grant someone the power to alter their own files, you can send them a .HPT file, they can make their changes, export to e-motion, and then proceed as above.

Interesting. I don't have that on my 2.25. :-( Or I cannot find it at least.

What would be way cool is if you could have it notify you when a certain parameter goes over a value. Say knock, etc. That way it would be constantly monitoring and as soon as it get's knock a "red light" or whatever goes off until you reset it.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
How easy is it to configure the gauge to read the things that you want to look at? Can't you set it up to look at 4 different things at once, IAT, Boost, engine temps, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread