Insect Hunting Shotgun

Charlington

Established Member
Found this pump action plastic shotgun that fires Table Salt and blasts flys without making a mess (of the fly). Holds enough salt to fire 50 times and is accurate from 3-5 feet. Have not used one but gonna order a couple to try out. Works on Mosquitos also. Do not shoot people, pets, butterflys, ladybugs, reptiles, bears or alligators.
bugasalt dot com
I use a spray bottle filled with water and a couple tablespoons of liquid dish soap and get much better range and cleans up counters, tables, windows and floors plus it doesn't leave salt everywhere but this could be fun too.
Happy New Years

FIVEHOE

Established Member
lol yeah I saw an advertisement for this also.... at 4 am in the morning.

I'm just gonna go out on a limb and assume there is a reason they are advertising when only stoners / insomniacs are awake.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I have had one for a couple of years... it is awesome.

The company that makes them was looking for investors a couple of years ago and if you invested, they sent you two of the bug-assaults...

Don't leave it outside or in a humid environment, the salt in the "magazine" will harden up... other than that, it is loads of fun and stings like a MF if you are hit with it (I know, I know ;-) )

-Brian

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Link? Or just tease me with the description of something awesome

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
He kinda spelled out the link in his OP.

bugasalt.com

It actually looks kinda fun lol

Ponyracer1

Established Member
$73 for a $1.29 fly swatter? I think I figured out why it "wasn't a huge hit". Looks like fun though, im soooo buying one. Something else I can irritate my wife, kids, pets with.

Last edited:

MFE

Established Member
$73? Holy shit, they were $30 when I bought mine over a year ago. Most fun in the arsenal though :D

MFE

Established Member
$73 for a $1.29 fly swatter? I think I figured out why it "wasn't a huge hit". Looks like fun though, im soooo buying one. Something else I can irritate my wife, kids, pets with.

You can pop the flies with these in lots of places you can't get a fly swatter. Like on windows behind blinds, up on high walls/windows, on short ledges...

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Cabela's had them for ~50 in one of their recent flyers.

Do NOT shoot wasps with it :eek:

Most soft bugs are easy prey... it will blast a hole through newspaper, if you are close enough.

They are pretty well made, mine has held up fine.

-Brian

oldmodman

Established Member
I have a friend that got three of them. She has horses and leaves on hanging in each stall.

She says she has gotten to be a dead shot with them. And the horses don't mind the salt laying around. They have get salt from a lick anyway.

But what she really wants is a battery machine salt gun. Full auto saltpower.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This review comment had me laughing. "I bought this for my husband for Christmas(today is Christmas). We let flies in the house on purpose so he could play with his new toy. Just a little, regular house flies was shot with the Bug A Salt 5 times and it did not die!!! It was stunned...but did not die! and I used regular house salt like it said. For something that cost over $50...it should work!! Now I have to sweep up all the salt on the floor!"

I guess it is hit and miss (sorry for the pun) as far as how effective it is, judging by the review comments. My wife would shoot me (oops, did it again) if I sprayed the house with salt. Would be fun to try out, though. If you're going to buy one, go to the BugASalt.com site as the price is much lower than Amazon. $39.95 vs. $66.98.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Charlington, thank you for posting this. I have _got_ to get me one of these! I'll be going with my wife to the barn a lot more often, now.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
LOL get a welt did you?

It was close... that was one one, very, pissed off wasp.

I think the sights on it are kind of worthless, but you get better with practice.

Shooting flies off of your Cousin's shoulder is also not a good idea.

"Hold still, I'll get'im" :nono:

As I said, it is tons of fun.

-Brian

Users who are viewing this thread