Insane footage (His POV) of a solider taking fire during Taliban firefight.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
so, i see that it is a possible shot. tough, but possible, like you stated before. the barrel length comes into play for long distances too. i wonder how lethal it would be at that distance

A round fired through an M4 travels approx 3600 meters. At the ranges quotes above it can be lethal but your shot has to pretty much hit a vital area of the body to actually kill them at those distances. Just actually being able to engage the target accurately is the tough part as those fighters are generally very skilled and know what they are doing so hitting them at distance with a sustained rate of placed shots from a M4 (or any variant that fires the standard M855 NATO round) becomes increasingly difficult.

To penetrate the human body, a bullet needs a joule rate of approximately 400j (to be considered a lethal shot-as in something that will penetrate to hit the CNS or major organ). The M855 round reaches this point at approximate 550-600 meters, depending on several other factors I won't cover (too long a read). In short, bullet penetration is better understood by analyzing and understanding the rounds terminal ballistics, which is the rounds striking velocity, bullet characteristics (made up of factors such as wind speed, muzzle velocity, gravity, drag, air density etc etc) and target material.

Given the terrain he was in, and the fact he had to shoot at what looks to be a 8 degree downward angle (or more), unless he was a VERY well trained shooter, he stood no chance in hell at hitting anything with accurate fire.

Last edited:

BTRStang

USMC Ret.
Established Member
A round fired through an M4 travels approx 3600 meters. At the ranges quotes above it can be lethal but your shot has to pretty much hit a vital area of the body to actually kill them at those distances. Just actually being able to engage the target accurately is the tough part as those fighters are generally very skilled and know what they are doing so hitting them at distance with a sustained rate of placed shots from a M4 (or any variant that fires the standard M855 NATO round) becomes increasingly difficult.

To penetrate the human body, a bullet needs a joule rate of approximately 400j (to be considered a lethal shot-as in something that will penetrate to hit the CNS or major organ). The M855 round reaches this point at approximate 550-600 meters, depending on several other factors I won't cover (too long a read). In short, bullet penetration is better understood by analyzing and understanding the rounds terminal ballistics, which is the rounds striking velocity, bullet characteristics (made up of factors such as wind speed, muzzle velocity, gravity, drag, air density etc etc) and target material.

Given the terrain he was in, and the fact he had to shoot at what looks to be a 8 degree downward angle (or more), unless he was a VERY well trained shooter, he stood no chance in hell at hitting anything with accurate fire.

^ This also BOB!!! I didn't want to go this direction because I wiil type all night with no end in sight....
Thanks Beerdog 80:beer:

good info, that one with the tracers really put it into perspective. a lot flatter than i thought it would be. you can see how much they slow down too. that pig was just crazy, holy crap. also, in Washington it isn't legal to use a .223 for deer. In most states it is i believe.

also, one last thing. which is a very good comparison in my opinion. after looking at the ballistics of the .223 i ended up comparing it to a .22 long rifle. at 600 yards, the .223 is carrying about 150 fewer FPS and roughly the same energy as a .22 long rifle at point blank. so this puts in into perspective to me. i understand that the .22 doesn't have the tumble effect of a .223, but i think that they would roughly do the same amount of damage at the compared distances. so, with that said, the .223 is lethal at 600 yards, but it would have to be a well placed shot to immobilize or kill the enemy.

i've learned a lot in this thread

you sir have got it:read:! Anytime, also if there anything you want to know about stuff like this or just want to run it by somebody PM me, I miss training Marines, so anytime I can help out on subjects like this, I try.:beer:

The Nato 5.56 is a hell of round for reaching out their for the common troops, just lacks the nock down power I like that the 7.62 gave us.... I hope I didn't open a can of worms with that statement!:coolman:

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
I can't really stress what an idiotic action this was. Not only did he put his own life in jeopardy but he also endangered the lives of his team/squad and quite possibly the very air ambulance and the crew that would have to drag his incompetent ass out of the fight all for a stroke at a "heroic" action. He was wearing the Go Pro for a reason and its not to "document" what’s going on over here (I’m currently in Afghanistan) but for his own personal scheming. I can guarantee when his chain of command gets a hold of this video he will be in some hot water. These are the type of soldiers you see on the news coming home in caskets... not getting pinned with medals! Personally, it pisses me off to see such ignorance!

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
^ This also BOB!!! I didn't want to go this direction because I wiil type all night with no end in sight....
Thanks Beerdog 80:beer:

Anytime. :rockon:

The Nato 5.56 is a hell of round for reaching out their for the common troops, just lacks the nock down power I like that the 7.62 gave us.... I hope I didn't open a can of worms with that statement!:coolman:

No, the truth hurts. The 5.56 is a good round and very accurate but you hit it right the primary issue on the head. In up close and personal encounters, such as CQB actions, the 5.56 round will cut right through a human but the round travels with such a velocity, it doesn't do the damage you want. At distances less than 100m, there is nearly zero yaw. Thats a VERY important consideration to think about when talking about a rounds effectiveness. There have been many case studies on this round and especially during combat ops in Iraq/Afghan where troops routinely reported this very thing happening.

It's also why I've seen a lot of units change tactics and start aiming for the anchor points instead of center mass.

Last edited:

assasyn

Established Member
So...... what weapons was he being engaged with?

To the soldier, thank you for your service. From a common sense standpoint, wasn't moving down the hill a worse position? The enemy on the incline on the far side was gaining and advantage as he moved down.

I saw this on another blog the other day. Supposedly he was hit 4 times. Once in the helmet and three times in the body armor (2 chest and one leg).

BTRStang

USMC Ret.
Established Member
So...... what weapons was he being engaged with?

To the soldier, thank you for your service. From a common sense standpoint, wasn't moving down the hill a worse position? The enemy on the incline on the far side was gaining and advantage as he moved down.

I saw this on another blog the other day. Supposedly he was hit 4 times. Once in the helmet and three times in the body armor (2 chest and one leg).

From the rate of fire in the video, I would bet it is my old advisory and infamous PKM (PK machine gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Yes this wasnt the best tactical idea for the US soldier and was great training for the enemy...

BTRStang

USMC Ret.
Established Member
Anytime. :rockon:

No, the truth hurts. The 5.56 is a good round and very accurate but you hit it right the primary issue on the head. In up close and personal encounters, such as CQB actions, the 5.56 round will cut right through a human but the round travels with such a velocity, it doesn't do the damage you want. At distances less than 100m, there is nearly zero yaw. Thats a VERY important consideration to think about when talking about a rounds effectiveness. There have been many case studies on this round and especially during combat ops in Iraq/Afghan where troops routinely reported this very thing happening.

It's also why I've seen a lot of units change tactics and start aiming for the anchor points instead of center mass.

My buddy who is still operating was discussing this (change of tactics) over cigars A few months back while he was visiting on leave.... The operartors over at DARC (DARC) where teaching us this also back in 06/07.... We were hoping that one of the 7.62 M4 contracts would get approved for some of us non Tier 1 guys, however that never came to fruition on my watch.... You had to be Chuck Norris to get one of those bad boys.....

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
i didn't post in here for a specific reason. but there's a few of you with some knowledge. that kid was an IDIOT. i'm a SFC and just came back from afghanistan. i would **** that kid up for pulling some shit like that. he's very lucky he survived. normally i would rant, but will leave it at that. glad he survived, but he owes his life to luck, not bravery

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
i didn't post in here for a specific reason. but there's a few of you with some knowledge. that kid was an IDIOT. i'm a SFC and just came back from afghanistan. i would **** that kid up for pulling some shit like that. he's very lucky he survived. normally i would rant, but will leave it at that. glad he survived, but he owes his life to luck, not bravery

Welcome home brother!

Users who are viewing this thread