Input on mods - 93 octane bolt on suggestions

Kel

Established Member
Good morning, all. The mod bug has bit, and I'm looking to get some feedback for a basic bolt on approach. Car right now is bone stock (well, JLT passenger oil separator) down to the tires (yes, I know). I have a JLT CF 127 MM CAI and just picked up a ported FRPP 65 MM TB with accompanying ported elbow so far. I was also looking at ARH 1-7/8" LT headers (keeping the stock mufflers for the sound) ceramic coated. After that, I was figuring a Lund, tune, but what about a 10% upper or...? I would stick to a safe/reliable tune based on 93 octane. I don't have a HP goal, rather a good combo based on available octane (I'm aware of the 13-6 options, etc, but I've pieced some of it together already). I don't mind leaving HP on the table in the interests of reliability/safety. Looking for any input on plugs, MGW II, or other items for consideration. I realize suspension and tires need to be looked at as well (I've been searching for those 295/275 MPSS for 18 months to go with my Alcoas to no luck so far, ha). I don't want the car too stiff as I enjoy it "as is" and am not looking to cut tenths of a second on a track. Car would be a warm day/Sunday cruiser with maybe a trip to the 1/4 once a year. Thanks for everyone's input!

Kel

PS I'm in the Pittsburgh area, if anyone has any shop recommendations. I was thinking: https://www.wolfpackspeed.com/ Baseline dyno, then another after the mods.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Good morning, all. The mod bug has bit, and I'm looking to get some feedback for a basic bolt on approach. Car right now is bone stock (well, JLT passenger oil separator) down to the tires (yes, I know). I have a JLT CF 127 MM CAI and just picked up a ported FRPP 65 MM TB with accompanying ported elbow so far. I was also looking at ARH 1-7/8" LT headers (keeping the stock mufflers for the sound) ceramic coated. After that, I was figuring a Lund, tune, but what about a 10% upper or...? I would stick to a safe/reliable tune based on 93 octane. I don't have a HP goal, rather a good combo based on available octane (I'm aware of the 13-6 options, etc, but I've pieced some of it together already). I don't mind leaving HP on the table in the interests of reliability/safety. Looking for any input on plugs, MGW II, or other items for consideration. I realize suspension and tires need to be looked at as well (I've been searching for those 295/275 MPSS for 18 months to go with my Alcoas to no luck so far, ha). I don't want the car too stiff as I enjoy it "as is" and am not looking to cut tenths of a second on a track. Car would be a warm day/Sunday cruiser with maybe a trip to the 1/4 once a year. Thanks for everyone's input!

Kel

PS I'm in the Pittsburgh area, if anyone has any shop recommendations. I was thinking: https://www.wolfpackspeed.com/ Baseline dyno, then another after the mods.

I would suggest a vmp 2.39" upper and their tune, you will have a similar setup as I do and love the power it brings...as for the plugs I run the NGK TR-7 gapped at .28-.30

MikeHoncho

Who cares...
Established Member
I have a JLT CF 127 MM CAI and just picked up a ported FRPP 65 MM TB with accompanying ported elbow so far. I was also looking at ARH 1-7/8" LT headers.

^^^all this with a Lund tune and ATI 10% lower.

I don' t think you can go wrong with a Barton or MGW. I had a Barton and liked it.

Then, you're going to need tires and some suspension mods.

black13 gt500

Established Member
I had similar mods to what your asking before I took the car apart. JLT 127, super cobra jet monoblade, 1-7/8 headers and offroad h pipe and ATI 10% lower and Lund tune made 720hp and 705 torque on 93 was awesome. Look into a clutch if your going to track it with sticky tires like the MT drag radials. Also gears are awesome in these cars. I went to 4.10s in mine and love it with the taller drag radials

Last edited:

Kel

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Any consensus on ATI vs IW on the 10% lower? Sounds like plugs should be NGK TR-7 gapped at .28-.30? With all these changes, should a remote tune be performed or a (hate to use the term) "canned" tune? Assume an N Gauge or SCT as well? Appreciate the input, I'd rather measure twice and cut once!

rdsnk46

Established Member
I used an:
ATI 10% O.D
S.W. 1-7/8 LTs w/O.R. X
JLT 127mm CAI
Twin 65mm FRPP T/B
Billet Pro Shops Ported S/C and BPS over sized inlet
New spark plugs
Nitto 305/35/20 DR's
93 oct

Lund Racing tune with no dyno, just flashed the car.

Went 10.8 @ 130 on the first outing with a 1.90 60'

I think this is the ultimate 93 oct combo, the air was mid 80's that day and the DA was not good. Cooler air would net faster times.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Agree with rdsnk46, less is more.

100% suggest Mike at Wolfpack, tell him 'Dr. J' said hi.

If you have Alcoas, really consider a stickier tire than the MPSS.
For a nice weather cruiser and rare 1/4 use, I'd keep the suspension near 100% stock and run the Toyo R888s in 275/35 fronts, 315/30/20 rears for the 10" Alcoas. I lived in Pittsburgh, so you'll like the R888s for those hills/turns.

From your posts I'd also go with the Ngauge and ATI 10%, also really consider 3.73s as you'll like them with the sticky tire and can use the gear for the hill pulls. Trust me when I tell you gears and sticky tires will give you more enjoyment for your stated plans than power mods.

Good luck.
-J
:beer:

HighTorque

Established Member
I also am about to do 127 cf intake and scj throttle body with an ngauge and tune.

Should i do plugs with just those mods?

rdsnk46

Established Member
Keep in mind that in almost all cases a lower O.D. pulley will be superior over a upper pulley. You may see a higher peak HP number on the dyno over a lower pulley. The lower pulley will have a much higher peak TQ number though, TQ is what moves these heavy cars down the track.

Van@RevanRacing

Mike at Wolfpack Speed is awesome to work with. Definitely go there.

I prefer ATI over IW for Dampers. I had a customer call yesterday with a reported IW damper failure where all of the bolts sheered.

Headers and a 10% OD with stock upper pulley and your set up has net north of 730 RWHP and 730 RWTQ with a Lund Racing Tune and 93 Pump Gas with your CAI and TB.

Well known combination with effective results!

Van

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Not to hi jack this thread but I am looking to possibly add a lower to my setup..now is it possible to add more boost on my 93 octane tune with either a 10% or 15% lower? Or am I maxed out?

rdsnk46

Established Member
Mike at Wolfpack Speed is awesome to work with. Definitely go there.

I prefer ATI over IW for Dampers. I had a customer call yesterday with a reported IW damper failure where all of the bolts sheered.

Headers and a 10% OD with stock upper pulley and your set up has net north of 730 RWHP and 730 RWTQ with a Lund Racing Tune and 93 Pump Gas with your CAI and TB.

Well known combination with effective results!

Van

Van helped me chose the options for my current setup and it did not disappoint! He also recommended the ATI as some failures had been surfacing with the I.W. lower. Big shout out to Van @ Revan racing for his never ending support and knowledge.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Not to hi jack this thread but I am looking to possibly add a lower to my setup..now is it possible to add more boost on my 93 octane tune with either a 10% or 15% lower? Or am I maxed out?

W/ that 2.4 upper you might get away w/ a 10% lower on 93 but a 15% would probably require higher octane.

Users who are viewing this thread