Inflation is rolling over

omj

Established Member
I think you're confused about the trades.

Most Union workers retire in their 50s with a VERY VERY Healthy pension, massive company matched 401k, several rental properties and ZERO college debt. The ones working beyond that are doing it because the jobs are good, the health care is phenomenal and they're making 200-250k a year and see no need to quit when they've got it great and enjoy what they do.

I don't know any Union Electricians crawling under houses. Then again, I work in the power industry. Not in residential Construction.
To be fair, I don't want to do any of the shit I mentioned when I'm 50 unless it's for one of my rentals. Life's too short to trade your time for not much money and $200k was what I made after about 5 years at one of the big 4 (think that one firm that worked for that one company that did something around 2008). COVID really opened my eyes, it's all a racket. We got nearly 800k in forgiven loans for our rental company lol

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Life's too short to trade your time for not much money and $200k was what I made after about 5 years at one of the big 4.
hmm.
4 years of college?
5 years at big firm?
9 years total to make 200k/yr?

Same for an electrician after his 4 year apprenticeship.
Plus Zero College debt.

Tezz500

Established Member
hmm.
4 years of college?
5 years at big firm?

Plus Zero College debt.
This is just one example.

You should see how well the Boilermakers/Machinists/ICE Techs/Control Techs/Welders/Millrights/Operators/SheetMetal/Linemen/Relay Techs... etc do. Woooooo DADDY.

omj

Established Member
hmm.
4 years of college?
5 years at big firm?

Plus Zero College debt.
I had zero college debt from a scholarship and went to school for about 3 years due to accelerated classes in HS. I graduated in 2003 and $200k was great money for then. It isn't shit now but 20 years ago it was worth getting out of bed for. By the time I left public, I was around 300k + incentives at the senior manager level.

Tezz500

Established Member
I had zero college debt from a scholarship and went to school for about 3 years due to accelerated classes in HS. I graduated in 2003 and $200k was great money for then. It isn't shit now but 20 years ago it was worth getting out of bed for. By the time I left the firm, I was around 300k + incentives at the senior manager level.
I think you're missing the point.

By the time you've made your money, Any good Journeymen is well into making tons of money, with exceptional benefits while the Avg College student has racked up 100s of thousands in debt before they even made a dime in their career.

I think its outstanding that you're happy with your path and have been successful.
But there are plenty of options out there for those that want to work with their hands and its very lucrative.

omj

Established Member
I think you're missing the point.

By the time you've made your money, Any good Journeymen is well into making tons of money, with exceptional benefits while the Avg College student has racked up 100s of thousands in debt before they even made a dime in their career.

I think its outstanding that you're happy with your path and have been successful.
But there are plenty of options out there for those that want to work with their hands and its very lucrative.
For me it's the long game with regard to compensation. Sure, I started out pretty low but I don't know many blue collar guys that charge $400/hr. I enjoy the mental stimulation and I get to work with my hands by having hobbies that make me angry. Most college students get academic pursuit majors and there's nothing wrong with that as long as you realize you won't get rich. My brother is the opposite of me. Artistic and broke. He'll probably freeze to death or starve because he works menial jobs but he's objectively more happy than most people I know. The biggest lie about college is that everyone makes a comfortable living when that's rarely the case. Nothing wrong with being a tradie. I like the guys who remodel my houses and am glad I interact with them.

Tezz500

Established Member
For me it's the long game with regard to compensation. Sure, I started out pretty low but I don't know many blue collar guys that charge $400/hr. I enjoy the mental stimulation and I get to work with my hands by having hobbies that make me angry. Most college students get academic pursuit majors and there's nothing wrong with that as long as you realize you won't get rich. My brother is the opposite of me. Artistic and broke. He'll probably freeze to death or starve because he works menial jobs but he's objectively more happy than most people I know. The biggest lie about college is that everyone makes a comfortable living when that's rarely the case. Nothing wrong with being a tradie. I like the guys who remodel my houses and am glad I interact with them.
100% agree.

It's certainly about the long game and I do believe you can make money either way as long as you choose the right trade or right degree.

Think about if you had 5 years more of making that money and had invested that money into those rentals. that is valuable... While at the same time, from the Trades view point, someone coming out of college, motivated with a great degree, can pull away on the top end... Which is why its important to invest early and get yourself established.

That's what I'm getting at. There is a TON of opportunity to be wealthy working in the trades....

And while No, 400/hr isn't what you'd typically see on the pay scales, the Union contract has so many benefits that increase that figure exponentially... Its too numerous to list.

**** I get an extra $135.00 for a "Meal" anytime I work an extra 2 hours beyond my typical schedule and another $135.00 for every 2 hours after that... the shit adds up quick.

As for mental stimulation, my particular job requires a great deal of knowledge in Electrical Theory, Thermal Dynamics, Chemistry, Metallurgy, Distributive Control Systems, Mechanical Engineering etc... It's Stimulating to say the least lol.

I think it really comes down to the individual and being able to see the 20-30 year game plan... If you can do that, you can Crush life. If not, you're probably gonna struggle... I ran into the same situation with my Cousin as your Brother... Absolute ****in shame.

coposrv

Established Member
hmm.
4 years of college?
5 years at big firm?

Plus Zero College debt.

Very very few electricians are making 200k/yr with limited experience as a journeyman. If I didn’t start out with the intention to own my business no way would I have gone into the trades.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

q6543

Established Member
We have trades electricians in my plant that make 150-200k...but they basically work 12 hours a day 7 days a week year round to earn that much.

Wives always getting banged by the trainer etc... not a great lifestyle.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
We have trades electricians in my plant that make 150-200k...but they basically work 12 hours a day 7 days a week year round to earn that much.

Wives always getting banged by the trainer etc... not a great lifestyle.

That’s the oil field.

Week on week off. Wife is banging everyone at home.. dude has a second family in west texas

tistan

Established Member
Very very few electricians are making 200k/yr with limited experience as a journeyman. If I didn’t start out with the intention to own my business no way would I have gone into the trades.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I'd add to that, that 20-30 years ago trades didn't pay anywhere near the kind of money they do today. When I started out in 1998 the top guys with 20 years were make $20-25 an hour. As far as career choices, the only way to make it in trades back then was to go in with the intention to own your own business. Back then we also started labor at $9 an hour because the government wasn't giving handouts to everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread