Incredible footage of 16-year old Mike Tyson

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Mike was aggressive for sure. But he fought a lot of cans. Not his fault. You can only fight who is available. But he was not the same fighter he was after he got out of jail. When he got out of jail he was easily frustrated by Holyfield, Lennox and Douglas. Yeah you can talk smack about how he beat Michael Spinks who was a cruiserweight and had not fought in over a year and was at the taillight of his career and who agreed to fight for a big paycheck which he got. But Tyson is not even close to being a top ten ever heavyweight. Ali would have owned him without breaking a sweat.

I don’t know man.

Ali was not a heavy hitter. Ali/Frazier 1 shows a guy like Tyson could beat Ali.

Ali’s defense had him leaning back a lot to miss haymakers but that type of defense leaves you open to the left hook.

Guess who had a deadly left hook? Tyson

And Tyson rarely knocked people out with wild haymakers making Ali’s defense against Tyson’s style ineffective.

Tyson’s power punches were short and inside. Left hooks were plentiful and his land percentage was very high.

Would be an epic fight to see.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

VegasMichael

Established Member
I don’t know man.

Ali was not a heavy hitter. Ali/Frazier 1 shows a guy like Tyson could beat Ali.

Ali’s defense had him leaning back a lot to miss haymakers but that type of defense leaves you open to the left hook.

And Tyson rarely knocked people out with wild haymakers making Ali’s defense against Tyson’s style ineffective.

Tyson’s power punches were short and inside. Left hooks were plentiful and his land percentage was very high.

Ali didn't need to be a heavy hitter because he was so much smarter and savvy and evasive than those who he fought.
And you said this: And Tyson rarely knocked people out with wild haymakers making Ali’s defense against Tyson’s style ineffective. That makes zero sense. Ali's defense and rope a dope defeats Tyson's aggression every day all day. The media sold too many people on Tyson's skill.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I don’t know man.

Tyson couldn’t come close to beating Frazier either.
I’m not trying to stir the pot I’m just callin it like I feel it is.

Tyson looked and was dominant against avg fighters or those past their prime.

I truly feel that even Marciano easily beats Tyson and I’m not just sayin that with a hometown discount.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Ali didn't need to be a heavy hitter because he was so much smarter and savvy and evasive than those who he fought.
And you said this: And Tyson rarely knocked people out with wild haymakers making Ali’s defense against Tyson’s style ineffective. That makes zero sense. Ali's defense and rope a dope defeats Tyson's aggression every day all day. The media sold too many people on Tyson's skill.

Wrong.

Tyson was an inside fighter. Ali’s punching power was weak. Floyd mayweather might hit harder.

Mike gets inside and puts Ali on his ass within 4 rounds.

If it goes past 4, Ali wins.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

I truly feel that even Marciano easily beats Tyson and I’m not just sayin that with a hometown discount.

I don’t disagree.

Tyson was an evolved Frazier with an equally resilient chin.

I think Tyson would have a harder time with Joe Frazier than he would with Ali.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Wrong.

Tyson was an inside fighter. Ali’s punching power was weak. Floyd mayweather might hit harder.

Ali was a headhunter. He never went to the body. His boxing skills were second to none. His ring skills were second to none. Tyson was dumb and easily frustrated. He proved that several times.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Wrong.

Tyson would have been exhausted after one round. Ali would have danced around that ring and Tyson would have beat himself.
Ali was that good and the greatest of all time.

Tyson was definitely more powerful than Ali and even in his prime was probably faster too but Ali was a much more complete fighter than Tyson. He was far superior over Tyson with Chin, Heart, Psychology, and Stamina/Endurance.

Any opponent who beat Ali did so in a hard fought battle that went AT LEAST 10 rounds.

In order for Tyson to beat Ali he’d have to take him down and take him down quick. Some of the best boxers in American history couldn’t do it and Tyson wouldn’t do it either.

This fight would be hard fought for the first few rounds. In round five or six Ali would begin to outclass and frustrate Mike Tyson. Tyson was known to get anxious (as he was known to do) in those middle rounds and take big risks with punches. He’d connect with just enough shots to open himself up for major punishment.

By round 10, Tyson would be clearly outclassed and looking for a way out. He’d get it in the form of a unanimous decision for Ali.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Ali was a headhunter. He never went to the body. His boxing skills were second to none. His ring skills were second to none. Tyson was dumb and easily frustrated. He proved that several times.

I can’t disagree with any of this.

VegasMichael

Established Member

Frazier may have been better than Ali. Remember: He beat him straight up and then fought him again when Ali said throw in the towel I can't beat him. Ali's corner said are you sure and then right then Frazier's corner threw in the towel.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Ali wasn’t a cream puff. He had more power than you think. He was so smooth and quick he didn’t have to wind up and knock guys out with one punch. The more effective strategy for him was to make the other guy miss and pick him apart. At times he was almost unhittable. He had a gear like I’ve never seen. Late in fights he could flip a switch and bring furious bursts. He was amazing to watch.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Tyson would have been exhausted after one round. Ali would have danced around that ring and Tyson would have beat himself.
Ali was that good and the greatest of all time.

Tyson was definitely more powerful than Ali and even in his prime was probably faster too but Ali was a much more complete fighter than Tyson. He was far superior over Tyson with Chin, Heart, Psychology, and Stamina/Endurance.

Any opponent who beat Ali did so in a hard fought battle that went AT LEAST 10 rounds.

In order for Tyson to beat Ali he’d have to take him down and take him down quick. Some of the best boxers in American history couldn’t do it and Tyson wouldn’t do it either.

This fight would be hard fought for the first few rounds. In round five or six Ali would begin to outclass and frustrate Mike Tyson. Tyson was known to get anxious (as he was known to do) in those middle rounds and take big risks with punches. He’d connect with just enough shots to open himself up for major punishment.

By round 10, Tyson would be clearly outclassed and looking for a way out. He’d get it in the form of a unanimous decision for Ali.

X100. You’ve framed it up nicely. Totally agree.

If Tyson can’t get it done in 4, he loses. I think he had a REAL shot in those first 4 tho. The peekaboo style along with some nicely placed “bad intentions” combos would be a real problem for Ali IMO.

It really is mental, and after Cus died, Tyson had nothing mentally.

I guess I’ll put it this way. If Cus had just 5 more years with Tyson, Tyson becomes the most dominant HW ever by a LONGSHOT.... like Michael Jordan dominant.

His speed, defense, head movement, power, and chin were second to none.

What he lacked was mental resilience and true, unwavering discipline.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Ali wasn’t a cream puff. He had more power than you think. He was so smooth and quick he didn’t have to wind up and knock guys out with one punch. The more effective strategy for him was to make the other guy miss and pick him apart. At times he was almost unhittable. He had a gear like I’ve never seen. Late in fights he could flip a switch and bring curious bursts. He was amazing to watch.
He also got a raw deal from Uncle Sam who wanted to take him from the prime of his career and serve in Vietnam.

VegasMichael

Established Member
X100. You’ve framed it up nicely. Totally agree.

If Tyson can’t get it done in 4, he loses. I think he had a REAL shot in those first 4 tho. The peekaboo style along with some nicely placed “bad intentions” combos would be a real problem for Ali IMO.

It really is mental, and after Cus died, Tyson had nothing mentally.

I guess I’ll put it this way. If Cus had just 5 more years with Tyson, Tyson becomes the most dominant HW ever by a LONGSHOT.... like Michael Jordan dominant.

His speed, defense, head movement, power, and chin were second to none.

What he lacked was mental resilience and true, unwavering discipline.

Cus was the only reason Mike was successful.

Users who are viewing this thread