In the long run, would you rather own a bone stock or modified Lighting?

WannaWhine

Alaskan Steed
Established Member
Long story short:

On a whim two years ago, I ran across a killer deal here in Anchorage.

2002 Lightning, bone stock with exception of sound system, 48k miles. Always garaged. Could small scratches here and there, drilled holes in the front bumper, curb rash on a couple wheels, but overall the truck is incredibly nice. The owner covered the carpet from day one, so it hasn't even seen the day of light. Seats in solid shape but the driver's seat could be redone if one were picky.

Anyways, I bought it because I'd always wanted to own one. And holy shit, do I love this thing.

It is the nicest, quietest, most comfortable vehicle I own. And the condition of the paint alone, pulls more compliments from any vehicle or motorcycle that I have ever owned.

I'm always in a struggle though, do I hang onto and try to not let it's condition deteriorate, or acknowledge that I want to keep it and also some small mods to it. I'd love to install an exhaust system, lower it, pulley, tune, intake just for a little bit more get up. I don't have a garage spot for it, but I did by a 4 season custom car cover from California Car Covers for it last year.

On the flip side, I've considered selling this to someone who would appreciate it in its stock form, and then keeping my eye on another red L, perhaps a highly modded turbo one. I'd enjoy that just as much probably.

Just posting for some ideas from other owners who maybe have some answer for me.

Thanks!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldn't sell what appears to be a solid truck for someone else's red headed stepchild project gone wrong. Do the basic boltons and keep going

Dusten

Established Member
I wish I had my old 4lb lower, exhaust, valve body truck. I went way to far with this one and I love it, but I don't love it. I couldn't do stock again on a lightning, but I'd keep the mods simple.

WannaWhine

Alaskan Steed
Established Member
The thing is, I see the yellow car slowly moving to being a E85 fueled, car night, track mobile. Having a stock Lightning to ride around in has provent to be so nice, easy to drive, quiet while also having a truck bed to haul some shit.

I just don't know if now is the right time for me to hang onto this particular one.

Dusten

Established Member
The thing is, I see the yellow car slowly moving to being a E85 fueled, car night, track mobile. Having a stock Lightning to ride around in has provent to be so nice, easy to drive, quiet while also having a truck bed to haul some shit.

I just don't know if now is the right time for me to hang onto this particular one.
As stated, I would modify before I would purchase a modified truck. If starting from scratch, I'd buy modified. But you know what you have.

I would do a tune/tuner, 4lb lower, maf, plugs, valve body, rear shackles, catback.

That's a solid bottom 13 second truck that will sound great, and be very reliable.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As stated, I would modify before I would purchase a modified truck. If starting from scratch, I'd buy modified. But you know what you have.

I would do a tune/tuner, 4lb lower, maf, plugs, valve body, rear shackles, catback.

That's a solid bottom 13 second truck that will sound great, and be very reliable.
This! Absolutely no reason NOT to do these basic mods. They are mild mods, but the enjoyment factor gets a big boost. And the truck will remain very reliable. Go for it!

pegasus 101

Long story short:

2002 Lightning, bone stock with exception of sound system, 48k miles. Always garaged. Could small scratches here and there, drilled holes in the front bumper, curb rash on a couple wheels, but overall the truck is incredibly nice. The owner covered the carpet from day one, so it hasn't even seen the day of light. Seats in solid shape but the driver's seat could be redone if one were picky.

Anyways, I bought it because I'd always wanted to own one. And holy shit, do I love this thing.

It is the nicest, quietest, most comfortable vehicle I own. And the condition of the paint alone, pulls more compliments from any vehicle or motorcycle that I have ever owned.

I'm always in a struggle though, do I hang onto and try to not let it's condition deteriorate, or acknowledge that I want to keep it and also some small mods to it. I'd love to install an exhaust system, lower it, pulley, tune, intake just for a little bit more get up. I don't have a garage spot for it, but I did by a 4 season custom car cover from California Car Covers for it last year.

On the flip side, I've considered selling this to someone who would appreciate it in its stock form, and then keeping my eye on another red L, perhaps a highly modded turbo one. I'd enjoy that just as much probably.

Just posting for some ideas from other owners who maybe have some answer for me.

Thanks!
What are the basic mods to do for a 2000 lightning?
Mod it, drive it, enjoy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
If i could do it all over again, id do bolt ons(keep stock pulleys) and cosmetics(including lowering).

My near 600rwhp truck is worthless to hook on 18's. I'm tired of the heat the pulley ratio makes. I dont trust stock blocks and pulleyed combos to last. Mine didnt with a good tune.

Even at my power level any newer sports car with a blower will spank me on the high way. I no longer care if im faster or quicker than the next guy.

SAC Man

Established Member
Long story short:

Thanks!
You never outgrow your need for speed. Go for it!

thatdude305

Established Member
Lowered Belltech 921SP kit, upper pulley, and a tune 403rwhp 480 rwtrq. next I will do a 4lb lower and interooler and i'm done

IMAG0057.jpg

scv8

Sideways SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm back to a basic bolt-on truck and love it. If you do any mods at all, keep the stock parts stashed away so you can return it to stock.

Users who are viewing this thread