In search of a Terminator!!

SicOne

Established Member
I am currently a Mustang owner but looking to buy a 03/04 Cobra come spring..

Well I am 23 so money is kinda tight, But I have been searching around and have found some Cobras with 80K-100K on it in the 14s. Alot of them are pretty much stock and been daily driven. I am going to drive mine when I get one as thats what they are made for. Only concern I have is how are these motors with that many miles? I would like to do the basic(cheaper) mods like port, pulley and Spray. would this be a bad decision to get one with high miles?

Please help
Dan

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
dan i've read threads in here from guys who have over 200k miles on their cars. personally i wouldn't really want a supercharged car/truck with more then 60k miles on it.

they can say they daily drive it... but most have been beat on pretty good!

but they are soild engines for sure!

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Well what is your budget for a car, and are you paying outright or financing? So far it from the handfull of owners putting serious miles on these cars they are holding up beautifully. Several owners that are pullied, twin screwed, and sprayed are into the 100K+ mark and still going strong. Just make sure the car has a good record of maintenance and look for signs of abuse.

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
r you trying to finance or pay cash? if you finance you could get more money and get a better car......for a few thousand $s more your monthly is not going to be to high.....if you have the cash....pay 3/4 of the amount and keep the rest of the money for mods and have a little monthly payment.....that's what i would do.

SicOne

Established Member
I am going to finance as little as possible. Of course I will look through the car and make sure all is well. I was just curious on how the higher mileage motors will react to mods. I had a 2v run into the high 300K taking alot of abuse from me. Im a rookie at the 4v.

I also know how the bug gets you too. But I live in MN and the winter is always a good time for a rebuild lol.

Thanks to those who gave input.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Here are some good tips to follow as you look for a used Terminator. Terminator FAQs

And since the economy is predicted to get worse before it gets better, be frugal. Finance as little as possible. Be frugal with future mods, too. You just might need that extra in your bank account down the road. JMO.

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
dan i've read threads in here from guys who have over 200k miles on their cars. personally i wouldn't really want a supercharged car/truck with more then 60k miles on it.

they can say they daily drive it... but most have been beat on pretty good!

but they are soild engines for sure!

These engines are so stout that mileage isn't really a factor. You can find an 80k car that is a jewel but also a 30k one that's been beat to hell. It's the nature of the beast with high performance cars. That's why knowledge is power with these cars.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I agree, the lower miles the better, however, many people run the dog**** out of these cars so you need to keep that in mind...I picked mine up from a very mature owner, not a some very young kid

SicOne

Established Member
Kilgore Trout-
Must have missed the Im 23 and looking for a cheaper cobra lol....Plus red and a convert, No offense....Not for me

I hear you on the economy but as long as its going down the shitter, Enjoy it and what better way than in a cobra?....Yeah exactly lol

Its not the payments im worried about that I want to keep it cheap, its the insurance on the prick. Sooner im able to pay it off the better so I can just carry Liability. Shame to say yes but I hope nothing happens that I cant fix myself :)

Again thanks to those above!

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I'd up the budget a little more and try to find one of these cars in the $17k-$18K range that have 45-60k miles on them. Times are tough for some people right now and they're having to let their toys go for cheap. By spending the extra $3K you can find a car with half the miles and only have a small payment that you could easily pay off within the year. Whatever you do don't carry liability only, my Fiance works for Statefarm and you don't want to hear about the people who lose out on $20K+ cars because they didn't want to spend the extra $50 for full coverage insurance.

SicOne

Established Member
I'll definitely look for cheaper full coverage but $50 more is not in my case. I pay $100/Month for Liability. I been quoted on other cars $350+ for full. If thats the case I don't want to tie up mod money like that :) But I will for sure look for the cheapest full coverage but if I can't find it I will forget about it.

SicOne

Established Member
You shouldn't buy a cobra if the insurance is your main financial concern.

Its not a financial concern its common sense. If Im paying $400+/Month for the car I cannot justify spending $300/month for insurance. Why would anyone want to do that. By all means its not that I can't, I just dont like the thought of paying 2 car payments for 1 car. Now I think I have found a quote that I would be comfortable with. Apparently somewhere along the lines of my last quote till now the price went from like $354/Month for full on 1 car to $183 for full on a cobra and Liability on my Legend. :rockon:

Now wait till spring :beer:

SicOne

Established Member
you aren't ready...do yourself a favor and wait. You obviously cant afford one if you are penny pinching to try and pick one up

Sorry but penny pinching and being smart are 2 different things.

I'll explain,
I make $3,000 Take home a month.
My out going bills are almost $1000 a month.
It's not that I can't afford it I just don't see the point in paying that much for the biggest scam in history. Yes they cover you if you f**k up but I been driving 7 years (I know I'm still young) and haven't made a claim to date. One major downfall with me is I can't save. I throw my money away BUT if I have another bill (car payment) I will pay it and then play.

Thats all I was trying to say. But the thread was about are higher miles on a Cobra something to worry about. I had my 4.6 go to 333K so I know they are strong but I wasn't sure when you start to mod.

*Edit....Like stated above I have now found cheaper insurance! but would still be interested in a higher mileage Cobra as I am going to drive this car every chance I get and if they can go long with higher mileage then why not save a few grand? It just makes much more sense. I'm not looking to get my money back when and if I sell it. I am simply looking to enjoy a car that is Fast cheap and best thing of all a FORD!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread