In search for more aero

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
It should make a small venturi effect and help make it more effective.
True just having some fins hanging down in the wind does not a diffuser or wing make. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many funny crashes (and sort "flights") on the RedBull Flutag highlights. ;^)

There is so much turbulence under our cars, a few flaps at the back can't do much.
I'm a pharmacist not an engineer, but my Dad was.
I'm thinking unless you can build a taper into the diffuser, narrow front, wider back and/ or a aero taper (upside down wing), you are wasting time and money. Psyche factor may have some value.
You want the taper to be enough to speed up the air, but not too steep as to cause seperation and just drag. I'm afraid a flat piece of aluminum riveted to the gas tank cover and rear bumper cover isn't going to cut it.

Like I've been saying. the diffuser needs to be at a 8-12 degree angle in relation to the road.

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member

racebronco2

Established Member
After looking at countless diffuser i decided not to worry about the best way to build one. I have seen many in person on many supercars. Only a few were made they way some suggests here. The one i built looks like most of the ones i've seen. It is a compromise between track and street.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Very cool, Carlos.

On a side note, I hope you are putting your ingenuity and fabrication skills to good use in the commercial sector....

racebronco2

Established Member
Nicely done. Any info on how it was mounted etc.?
btw sending you a pm about the agent 47 sla.

I posted some pictures in another thread. I still need to get a couple of my friends to check it out. I could make it a little better next time. The fins are abs plastic which could be made to specs. I just happen to walk into a plastic store and they had some black "u" shape abs, 1 piece (5 ft long) only for 10.00.

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
It would be more effective if you could make those plastic "boxes" run the entire length of the diffuser.

What angle is the diffuser at?

racebronco2

Established Member
It would be more effective if you could make those plastic "boxes" run the entire length of the diffuser.

What angle is the diffuser at?

I guess you are saying that i should've added more boxes. They only had a 5' piece so i cut in in forth's. What would be the correct distance for the boxes? The boxes are 5" wide and the space between then is 7 1/4". I could've only added 1 more box. Anymore i would have to pay to get it custom made.

The angle is at 16 degrees. Since it attaches to the bumper cover it cannot be changed unless i mod the bumper cover. The front attaches to the gas tank cover.

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
I guess you are saying that i should've added more boxes. They only had a 5' piece so i cut in in forth's. What would be the correct distance for the boxes? The boxes are 5" wide and the space between then is 7 1/4". I could've only added 1 more box. Anymore i would have to pay to get it custom made.

The angle is at 16 degrees. Since it attaches to the bumper cover it cannot be changed unless i mod the bumper cover. The front attaches to the gas tank cover.

16 isn't too bad. It should come down though
http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95701

and I meant that it should extend all the way front to tail, not driver to passenger.

David Hester

Established Member
Yes, longer front to back.

I question the wide front, narrow back. I think that is backwards. We want narrow under diff. and wide at the rear..I'm thinking.
A diffuser allows the air traveling underneath the car a place to expand and decelerate back to road speed as well as providing wake infill. As the air enters towards the front of the car it accelerates and reduces pressure. There is a second suction peak at the transition of the flat bottom and diffuser. The diffuser then eases this "high velocity" air back to normal velocity and also helps fill in the area behind the race car making the whole underbody a more efficient downforce producing device by reducing drag and increasing downforce.

Understand that a true flat bottomed car (one without a diffuser) will produce downforce in and of itself when run in rake. Essentially the entire flat bottom becomes one large diffuser. It too has two suction peaks, one upon entrance, the second at the trailing edge of the flat undertray. A diffuser acts to enhance this underside suction, it acts like a pump, encouraging better flow under the car.

One thing to note is that the rear wing interacts with the diffuser "driving" it. The proximity of the low pressure side of the rear wing encourages better flow through for the underbody.

So maybe the diffuser is as much to reduce drag, as provide downforce and if the air ahead is jumbled by all the things hanging down under our cars, as Bill Murray once said, "It really doesn't matter". ;^)

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
16 isn't too bad. It should come down though

and I meant that it should extend all the way front to tail, not driver to passenger.

Thanks for the link to the website, need to do some more reading. It is not possibly to run a diffuser full length on a street car. The first speed bump will rip it off. Cannot install a full width/length belly pan. Our exhaust is the lowest part of the car.

Last edited:

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
Thanks for the link to the website, need to do some more reading. It is not possibly to run a diffuser full length on a street car. The first speed bump will rip it off. Cannot install a full width/length belly pan. Of exhaust is the lowest part of the car.

no no, I mean the full length of the diffuser. Unless you convert to a complete flat belly then it's possible, but I meant the little "boxes" (the vertical channels) need to run further forward and start at the gas tank.

racebronco2

Established Member
That's possibly. But i will need to have some custom made. They told me that it would cost about 70.00 to get 6' of it made up. I will look at it tomorrow to see how long the channels need to be. They are 15" now.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
It really depends on how serious you are about area doesn't it. Ideally you'd want a nice big wing in the back to provide plenty of downforce wouldn't you but it doesn't appear that you want something that big. I'm not sure where you got your data on Steeda's rear wing being "functional" but I can assure you it doesn't produce any more downforce than it weighs (which I guess isn't half bad because it means it doesn't provide any lift either). The one thing the yarn test won't give you an indication of is drag. By inceasing the size of the factory rear spoiler you will create a larger air pocket behind the car which will cause a good amount of drag.

so if the Steeda wing isn't functional (I have one :( ) what other wings out there do work? obviously the Cobra R and the APR carbon fiber wings, but are there any other options out there? what about the Saleen double stack wing? it's just one that came to mind.

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
so if the Steeda wing isn't functional (I have one :( ) what other wings out there do work? obviously the Cobra R and the APR carbon fiber wings, but are there any other options out there? what about the Saleen double stack wing? it's just one that came to mind.

The SR wing might because it could be high enough to be above the lower pressure caused by the cabin.

I can't think of any "popular" Mustang wings other than those that could work

I am wondering the same thing. Wonder if my Saleen S281 wing actually does anything.

Don't hold your breath. I doubt it's far enough back to catch the splistream. Even the BOSS wings probably barely touch it, and that depends on how fast you're going.

David Hester

Established Member
That's the deal. Of course, the wing has to be in the airstream if it is to do anything.
My Fox Coupe. Not so much, but the hatch and newer models might have enough swope to still have some flow over the wing.
An inch lip in the airstream will have an effect.
Look at "Gurney bills" or wicker bills. Yes, they are in direct airflow, but they are just 1/4 to 1/2 inch and make a big difference.
This book has been out 10 years, but alot of good information in it.
[ame="http://www.amazon.ca/Aerodynamics-Racing-Performance-Cars-Forbes/dp/1557882673/"]Amazon.ca: Aerodynamics For Racing And Performance Cars: Forbes Aird: Books[/ame]
51XKF5A2MKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Last edited:

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
I'm sick of everyone assuming anything that's not OEM on a domestic is Rice. Most of the wings made by Apexi and other reputable companies are actually wind tunnel tested. There is a reason they are so popular in Japan. They work.

THANK YOU! Glad there are some intelligent people driving Mustangs. Some of the dumb ass comments on here make Mustang owners sound like hill billy, trailer park, domestic trash.

Users who are viewing this thread