Impact Wrench to Remove Crank Pulley Bolt?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Thanks for the heads up to this. I tried with it in 1st gear and e brake and couldn't get it loose. will try 6th gear on sunday.

The key/trick is to put the trans in an upper gear like 4th or 5th. 6th works too. Then pull the ebrake. 1st gear will cause nothing but head aches.

KidMoney

Established Member
I've had situations where the impact wouldn't do it and had to use the breaker bar anyway.

Honestly, there isn't a easier method than getting the socket and extension on just right, getting the end of the breaker bar locked under the frame (or laying on top of the frame depending which side you are using), and bumping the starter.

Works every time.

This is absolutely the best way.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I have a new 2008 balancer sitting in a box in my room. Anyone in SoCal want to install it on my 2007 Gt500 for some $?

May93

Established Member
Use air to take it off but I wouldnt suggest the same method for installation.

6-Speed

Established Member
Wow ... it seems this thread had more activity today than it had in the past year. What socket size is used for the crank bolt?

Answered my own question by looking at another related thread ... 18mm.

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I have a new 2008 balancer sitting in a box in my room. Anyone in SoCal want to install it on my 2007 Gt500 for some $?

my buddy in garden grove can install it for you. he's got a full on shop at his home and knows mustangs inside and out (and pretty much every muscle car).

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Anyone got a pic of the puller they used for the 2011 style lower pulley? It's not your standard one where you thread in 3 bolts. It requires a 3 jaw puller. I've tried three different kinds now, can't seem to get one that fits decently. Thinking I might have to pull the radiator to get good access unless I can find a better puller.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Look up OTC 6667. That's how I got the balancer off my 2008 5.4 to install my Roush supercharger. Worked like a charm.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Look up OTC 6667. That's how I got the balancer off my 2008 5.4 to install my Roush supercharger. Worked like a charm.

Oh heck that's the Chrysler puller. I actually have one of those. Shoot let me try that. Thanks man.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Man that came right off :) Thanks again man. I didn't even think to use the ol Chrysler puller :beer:

alghanim

Established Member
Hi,if im doing OD lower ,shall i use the washer with the crank bolt!!
thanks in advance..

Users who are viewing this thread