Impact Wrench to Remove Crank Pulley Bolt?

6-Speed

Established Member
Is it a good idea to use an impact wrench to remove crank pulley bolts rather than a breaker bar? What do the professionals typically use in the shop?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I've had situations where the impact wouldn't do it and had to use the breaker bar anyway.

Honestly, there isn't a easier method than getting the socket and extension on just right, getting the end of the breaker bar locked under the frame (or laying on top of the frame depending which side you are using), and bumping the starter.

Works every time.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I used a 20" breaker bar and popped her loose by hand. A lot easier then I thought it would be after reading everyone's horror stories.

Riptide

Established Member
Used my ingersoll rand 2135qti and it zipped it off no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

DaFreak

Established Member
I used an IR (can't remember which model but it's rated for 600lbs) too and it came out in seconds.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
oh yea, dont make the same mistake as me. When you get the bolt off make sure the washer comes off as well. Or you might break a few pulley pullers...

dont ask me how i know

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
oh yea, dont make the same mistake as me. When you get the bolt off make sure the washer comes off as well. Or you might break a few pulley pullers...

dont ask me how i know

I remember that, and almost duplicated the issue my first time. Couldn't figure out why it wasn't coming off...lol

6-Speed

Established Member
Just used my 3 foot floor jack handle as a breaker bar. No fuss, no muss.
How about this 40" breaker bar!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Titan-12048-4-Inch-40-Inch-Breaker/dp/B002DU1DDI/ref=pd_cp_hi_0?tag=citofgamonlco-20"]Amazon.com: Titan 12048 3/4-Inch Drive 40-Inch Breaker Bar: Home Improvement[/ame]

Last edited:

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I remember that, and almost duplicated the issue my first time. Couldn't figure out why it wasn't coming off...lol

Haha I bent two balancer pullers with a small breaker bar. Thank god I don't have a bigger bar. I might have turned the motor over

meterman

Established Member

dont ask me how i know

I just joined this club last night LOL. I bought, get this, a Parker Hannifin puller. It's 20+ years old and like new. I bent the threaded rod that you crank into the end of the crankshaft.

Went to Advance Auto to borrow theirs today and will go to round two on Satuday.

So, I tried to get the washer out, but it's being stubborn. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
I had minor issues getting my stock lower off. I originally had the parking break set and the tranny in first. Couldn't get it to break loose. Left the e brake set and put it in 6th and it popped loose much easier. I used a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a 2' long jack handle for a little extra leverage. All in all it was MUCH easier than some make it out to be. However my washer did come off with the balancer unlike some others haven't.

-Nick

airmanb2b

Established Member
The washer is sealed in. Sometimes a little better than others. You should be able to just reach in a grab it. IF you are doing a OD lower, make sure you grind enough on the sensor tab. Dont ask how I know but if you dont, the belt will rub and sound like trolls are hitting your engine with a hammer.

meterman

Established Member
The washer is sealed in. Sometimes a little better than others. You should be able to just reach in a grab it. IF you are doing a OD lower, make sure you grind enough on the sensor tab. Dont ask how I know but if you dont, the belt will rub and sound like trolls are hitting your engine with a hammer.

nope, just replacing with an 09 crank pulley

Use a pic tool to grab the washer. It's epoxied or siliconed in there

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.

einehund

Established Member
Thanks for the heads up to this. I tried with it in 1st gear and e brake and couldn't get it loose. will try 6th gear on sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread