I'm new!!!

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
Hey guys. I'm new to the Mustang scene but not to cars. I traded my highly modded 240sx for my Cobra a couple weeks ago. I love the Cobra so far. It has things I've never had in a car before or just in a long time. Namely power steering, A/C, cruise control, keyless entry, you know... luxuries. It's also much less finicky than my turbo 240 was. Here are some pics of the car:

IMG_1068-1.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

Anyway, it's my DD while I'm in school. It's pretty stock aside from the basic intake, H-pipe straight exhaust, and a short shifter. The cable style clutch is a little odd and my clutch is also ****ed. The previous owner told me that the fork got stuck against the bellhousing and caused the clutch to wear funny and now it slips pretty bad. I work at a shop at school and plan to fix it as soon as I get back there. Well, that's about it. Oh, and immediate plans for the car include nothing more than working on suspension first. Ok, that's it.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
A few notes,
First, Welcome to the site.
2nd, Gears
3rd, Don't bypass the profanity filter. Type curse words normal (If you must curse) and the system filters out the ones it is programmed to.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
car looks clean, def. work on the suspension we all do it cuz of the 4x4 height. how many miles?

mysteed

Established Member
Welcome. I know the Cobra that you purchased seeing as how I was looking to buy the same one. Congrats on the new car. :beer:

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
Welcome to the site! you can learn alot here, I went from not even understanding the fuel system in my car-to 430's,26 tall et streets, flowtech longtubes & a vortech s/trim in about 2 years time!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Great plans!
Go get some MM lca's, sfc's, H&R SS springs, MM c/c plates and termi front arms.

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
Thanks for all of the warm welcomes! The car has 133K on it and is in great condition minus some paint fading on the rear of the car. A big thanks also on what kind of suspension goodies to look into. I'm trying to get used to this forum's format as I spend most of my time on NICO Club(Nissan/Infiniti Car Owners Club) which has a different format. Thanks again and I look forward to learning more about this car.

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
Sorry for the double post, but I need to ask a super noobie question. What's all the fuss about gearing in Mustangs. That's all I ever hear about. I know in 240's, gearing is not much of an issue. I replace my 240's stock 4.0 diff with a 3.7 VLSD from an Infiniti J30 and noticed little if any difference. How much of a difference does gearing make in these cars?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
HUGE difference. Go with 4.30s and never look back. The stock rearend gears are a pathetic 3.27

BTW, nice color, Laser Red is the fastest!

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
Sorry for the double post, but I need to ask a super noobie question. What's all the fuss about gearing in Mustangs. That's all I ever hear about. I know in 240's, gearing is not much of an issue. I replace my 240's stock 4.0 diff with a 3.7 VLSD from an Infiniti J30 and noticed little if any difference. How much of a difference does gearing make in these cars?

Aw man, gears are like the biggest increase in performance for our cars. Dont go any lower than 4.10s, and dont look back. Once you get some gears you will be driving a totally different animal. I went from 3.73s to 4.10s and I dropped .4 and picked up 3mph at the drag strip

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
Thanks for all of the good info and not treating me like a 'tard. I think I'm going to like it here.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Welcome man, the reason why gearing is so bad is most mustangs is in stock form it's meant for economy and comfortablitly, not for performance. Switching from the stock 3.27's for 4.10's or 4.30's and your car will feel like a new animal! I would suggest getting some springs and subframe connectors. I put subframes on my car and it really stiffens it up and with a lot of miles on a mustang...it needs it. Plus it gives you a jacking area to lift the whole side of the car up.

Users who are viewing this thread