I'm just a girl....

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
Hey!! Still learning how to use all the options on this site and scrolled up and found I had several "welcome" messages.

THANKS!! I am learning...keep the info comming guys... I LOVE THIS!

Di

PS-Homer, give her a chance. You guys and your love for cars can be a bit intimidating...I am still learning, but as I said Lovin' it! Now if he will just let me behind the wheel! LOL! :)~

Pyro

Established Member
First of all...welcome.
I have an example and maybe an exception to the rule. THis is an age old arguement so bare with me. I am running a 2.93" pulley that is pumping around 13 psi and I am not running a chip. However, I am running a cooler spark plug so as to prevent detonation from a hot spark. Furthermore, I am not running headers, x-pipe, or upgraded catback...just mufflers. Yes, the performance is far from optimum but still offers seat-of-the-pants gains. The limitiation of the upgrades or lack thereof keeps the A/F in check. Although I have not dynoed my car, others with similar mods (and one with identical mods) have dynoed and got A/F readings up to 14 at lower rpms to as low as 11's at higher rps with mid 12's in the majority of the curve. It is this variation that the chip eliminates. Keep in mind that running lean does not kill motors, detonation(Uncontrolled pre-explosion) kills motors. Running lean with hot air is just the main cause for detonation. With this set up, I can remove the pulley, put the original pulley back on without detection. I'm just a warranty whimp. Also, I dont go to the track and usually stay out of WOT (wide open throttle) unless I'm at around 3000 rpms just to be safe. Maybe after I gain more confidence in the reliability of the motor, I'll get a chip and the rest of the exhaust mods. Let me translate that last sentence.....once the warranty grows thin, I'll do the rest. For now, the car is already badass so I'm in no hurry to mod. Money also makes sure of that.

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
I STAND CORRECTED!

It was just brought to my attention that I got a bit confused near the end of my "Lean" "Rich" story...lol..I confused the fact the the lower the # the richer and the higher the # the leaner...OOOOPS!

I apologize, bear with me guys...I am tryin'!

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
It's alright and Pyro is on the money, I couldn't have said it better. A side note; identical mods will not produce identical results. Variations in fuel, altitude and vehicle personallity affect A/F. Yes these cars have unique personalities. The PCM is adaptive and will select fuel trims based upon the data received from it's external sensors: Mass air meter, throttle position senseor etc. A near perfect A/F is obtained through a "tuning" process. Mine is "tuned" to 12.0 via my chip. My car pre chip would pull feul in the lower rpm sending it into a dangerously lean contition. Then it would add fuel on the top end making it run rich punctuated by a choppy top half of may dyno chart comlete with black smoke fron the tailpipes with each spike. The chip flattened the A/F and smoothed the curve allowing my car to run my mods safely. You can go agreesive and squeeze the last little bit out of it but then you have to cut your gas, and that gets expensive. It all boils down to these cars are very receptive to mods but Ford made the car run very well stock, almost to well. As minor modifications easily confuse the computer and make it almost essential to help it out.

electricstorm

Established Member
*sighs*

I think I'm in love!

My GF is eager, but not that eager to learn!
She knows that she had alot of power in her Grand National and hated it when she totalled it -

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
I understand a majority of what you said there...but what is PCM? And explain the "curve" factor that you and Pyro are referring to if you would...just for further clarification...totally for my benefit I am sure!

THANKS!
Di

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
Thanks Electricstorm!

Support...or love...are good things! LOL!!!

I am having a blast, have made some good friends, and I am learning. I would not be here if I did not want to lean and share this with "my guy"...feel free to tell him how lucky he is! LOL!!!

Di

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by LRNIN2LUVhisSVT
but what is PCM? And explain the "curve" factor that you and Pyro are referring to if you would

PCM= Program (or Power depending on application) Contol Module IE. the cars computer

Curve= The actual data plot created by the dyno software. Most likely gained it's name bc of the shape it takes

NastyWS6

Established Member
It was just brought to my attention that I got a bit confused near the end of my "Lean" "Rich" story...lol..I confused the fact the the lower the # the richer and the higher the # the leaner...OOOOPS!

I apologize, bear with me guys...I am tryin'!

Some of those things DO take a long time to learn. atleast your interested in learning the information.

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
Thanks SoCal...now all you wrote makes sense...and I have some new terms under my belt!

And, thank you Nasty! I am trying, and I am VERY interested. This is the place to learn that is for sure. Everyone is beyond supportive and knowledgable.

So, my next question is "torque"...can someone explain this to me in car terms? I know the basic definition, but apply it to the Cobra, or any SVT or High performance vehicle. Does it have a role in a Dyno, and if so what? Also, in overall performance what is its role?

THANKS!
Di

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
The easiest way to conceptualize torque/ Hp is this: Hp is relative to attainable speed while torqure is the ability and time to get to that speed.

Take a riding mower for example. a 5-10 Hp mower will never get over 2-3 mph no matter how much gas you give it. But if it had say 500 RWTQ it might get to that 2-3 mph in a nanosecond and break your neck in the process.

Conversely if your car had 1000 RWHP but 10 RWTQ It might take you an hour @ WOT (Wide Open Throttle) to get to max speed.

How does this apply to the cobra? The blower we have gives max torque early and sustained. As it starts to drop off HP is still climbing. This allows for extremely even acceleration. With each shift the rpm will drop into the still "flat" portion of the torque curve preventing a drop-off in acceleration.

NastyWS6

Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
Take a riding mower for example. a 5-10 Hp mower will never get over 2-3 mph no matter how much gas you give it. But if it had say 500 RWTQ it might get to that 2-3 mph in a nanosecond and break your neck in the process.

Conversely if your car had 1000 RWHP but 10 RWTQ It might take you an hour @ WOT (Wide Open Throttle) to get to max speed.

Very good examples :thumbsup:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Thanks SoCal...now all you wrote makes sense...and I have some new terms under my belt!

And, thank you Nasty! I am trying, and I am VERY interested. This is the place to learn that is for sure. Everyone is beyond supportive and knowledgable.

So, my next question is "torque"...can someone explain this to me in car terms? I know the basic definition, but apply it to the Cobra, or any SVT or High performance vehicle. Does it have a role in a Dyno, and if so what? Also, in overall performance what is its role?

THANKS!
Di

This good looking woman is a fast learner. Get em Di!:beer:

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
AHHHH...I get it! Torque is what gets you to 0-60 in a matter of seconds right? It does not feed or provide HP is relative to time, as in your riding mower example...very good visual by the way, visuals truly help me! Do I have this correct?

I assume RWTQ is "rear wheel torque" or am I missing part of that...if of course got RWHP.

Thanks again! You have again managed to impress me and explain in layman terms exactly what I wanted to know! Even a blonde can learn this! LOL!

:) Di

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
Good looking and smart...Larry you are scoring major brownie points in my book my dear!

So let's hear your two cents...oh faithful mentor! Give me info, the more the better!

;) Di

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
It does not feed or provide HP is relative to time, as in your riding mower example... Do I have this correct?

Yes, and I should have clarified that the Hp and Tq is (to coin a physics term) potential energy. The actual applicaton or transfer of this energy is the job of the transmission and rear-end gears. Depending on that configuration true potential is determined and can be reduced or multiplied.

I assume RWTQ is "rear wheel torque"
correct

You have again managed to explain in layman terms exactly what I wanted to know!

Being a military instructor and certified teacher helps. Have you ever tried to teach an 18 yr old fresh out of high school how to fix a 20 million dollar acft? It's interesting to say the least :lol:

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
You are a teacher....that explains soooo much! I am in not only good but extremely capable hands...GREAT to know!

I understand your explanation of potential energy and realize and expected that there would be variables, but thank you for clarifying that.

I know this is simplex, but to understand that HP is relavtive to power and TQ to time really helps. I am all about the basics. Start small and build from there!

More questions to follow....
Di

PS-You and Jack should chat, he is has a degree in Physics. Now that is a convo that might actually hurt my head! LOL! :)

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
LOL!! Hey...I made up a word for you to decipher...simplex...see what happens when you try to hop on here and type quickly so your boss doesn't cath you?!?!

How about simplistic!

:lol: Di

Users who are viewing this thread