I'm just a girl....

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
Hello all! I am here in hopes of forming a support group of sorts for myself :p . My boyfriend recently purchased a 2003 Cobra. I had no idea the huge role this car would soon play in my life..lol! So, I have taken a "if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude. He loves the car and I love the happines it brings him. He is like a kid at Christmas with that car, and I adore seeing him so happy!

I, however, now find myself wanting to learn about the car, about Cobras, and SVT and share in his "love". I like speed and grew up on motorcycles, so it is not all new to me, but I am VERY car/Cobra illiterate!

Jack (sig. other) is VERY knowledgable about cars and of course his "baby". I could certainly ask him all I wanted to know, however, I like a challenge! I chose to come here and pick the brains of those who will allow me, and gather my own knowledge.

Jack seems to truly appreciate my desire to share in his love of cars, and has thus deemed it as "sweet". Well, sweet was not really what I had in mind..lol..I have a true desire to learn. So I call on you my new friends and hopefully teachers...HELP THIS GIRL GET TO KNOW HER COBRA!

Hope to hear from MANY of you soon!

Diana

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
WElcome, though I won't be able to help you much in your quest for knowledge, but I can help in the oddball Ford area ;-)

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Welcome aboard! Jump into the '03 Cobra forum and start reading!

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
Hey there! I am seeing you are right! I have gotten some good responses...making some progress and some new friends.

I was worried that being a mere "girl" I may not get taken seriously..I WAS WRONG and I am glad!

So talk car to me! LOL!

Di

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by LRNIN2LUVhisSVT
Hey there! I am seeing you are right! I have gotten some good responses...making some progress and some new friends.

I was worried that being a mere "girl" I may not get taken seriously..I WAS WRONG and I am glad!

So talk car to me! LOL!

Di

Welcome :beer: Have no fear this is not a board of gender haters. Just cruise on down to the '03 Cobra forum and any qestion you can possably think of has been answered at one time or another. The handy search button will be a time saver as there is literaly a mountain of information a keystroke away.

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
THANKS!! I have been reading some, there is just so much to go through...which is great!...just takes some time! I am having fun, and everyone is really wonderful!

Looking for info. on Dynos...want to understand exactly what they are, what they test, and so forth. I am learnign how to search for specific things, but am interested in chatting as well, a live opinion is good, and I can ask questions, silly as they may be! LOL! I only know to look for and ask about whay my sig. other has done to his car...which is a lot! LOL! But I want to know more...and I am sure it is all here...but as I said it is fun to chat as well!!

Thanks again! & hope to talk to you soon!

Di

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Looking for info. on Dynos...want to understand exactly what they are, what they test, and so forth.

Dynos are used to specifiaclly test how much RWHP (Rear Wheel Horse Power) and RWTQ (Rear Wheel Torque) a vehicle is putting out. Additionnaly A/F (Air Fuel ratio) can be measured. All measurents are taken at periodic RPM intervals. The Vehicle itself will be strapped to the ground with the rear wheels positioned atop a pair of rolling drums. The rate at which the vehicle can turn the drums translate into the HP/TQ via a computer translation. A/F is measured via a tail pipe probe or a sensor installed into the H-pipe. The purpose of all this is to "tune" the car and get the most out of the combo. Types of dynos vary along with the reputation of individual shops.

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
WOW! Thanks! I have seen the footage of Jack's last Dyno, and was wondering what the purpose was, and what all was involved, and if there were actually computerized readings that detail the test.

So, what changes made to the car alter and or improve a Dyno and how exactly does this effect the vehicles performance...it is speed, torque, both?? He has replaced the pulley, twice I think..lol..what exactly does this do and does it effect a Dyno reading?

Remember I am car illiterate! LOL!

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Replacing the pully increases the number of times the blower spins vs crankshaft rotations. This multiplys the blowers turning speed and increases the ammount of boost created by the supercharger. The size if the pulley determins how much boost is created. IE. the stock pully produced 8lbs max boost, a 3.1= 11-12 lbs and the 2.8= 14-15 lbs. These #'s are approximate figures due to variables such as blower temp, belt slip etc. What do these do for dyno #'s... they dramatically increase RWHP/RWTQ. Torue more so than Hp. All is for naught though unless the car is tuned via a chip. Otherwise you'll not see the potential of the modification and run the risk of grenading the engine due to improper/ dangerous A/F conditions. When done properly you will have dramaticlly increased throttle response and tire shredding acceleration. Speed is relative. The cars have a governed top speed unless you chip that feature out. But you'll get to that max allowable speed much faster.

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
Interesting...scarey part is I understood most of that!

I am not sure if he has the car tuned by chip as you indicated, but he is extremely knowledgable and I would bet that he has made this modification. He is an engineer...NEED I SAY MORE??...lol! He is analytical nearly to a fault and misses little to nothing.

If I am in fact understanding you correctly, it seems to me that to get full the performance from replacing the standar equipped pulley with a smaller one, you would have to do this. Why go to the efforts and not get the full effects and risk damaging your engine?!?

I can not see him doing anything that would jeopardize the car's engine in any way. So I would assume, to quote you..lol..he has "chipped that feature out." But I will certainly inquire as I am even more interested!

OKay teach, any homework for tonight?? I love this, I feel like I have really learned something...thanks again!!!

Di

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
If I am in fact understanding you correctly, it seems to me that to get full the performance from replacing the standar equipped pulley with a smaller one, you would have to do this. Why go to the efforts and not get the full effects and risk damaging your engine?!?

You understood correctly. Why would one forgo the chip? 1. fear of voiding the PCM (anacronym for the cars computer module) warranty 2. Using the car in such amanner that max boost is not obtained and risk is reduced.

Ex. The 3.1 pully can safely be used w/o a chip if 1. your're using gas with greater than a 91 octane rating 2. the car isn't drivin hard 3. a baseline dyno showed the car running rich enough that it was deemed safe

The more boost being created the greater the chances that the PCM cannot maintain a safe A/F ergo the necessity for a chip to aid the PCM in managing the fuel.

Homework:
Learn what the terms "rich" and "lean" mean in reference to A/F

Last edited:

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
Okay, well regarding voiding the warranty doesn't simply replacing the pulley do that? I wold think most modifications, even more simple ones would. Fill me in here??

It just seems to me that it is risky without the chip. Can the chip be removed if warranty work needs to be performed or is it more complicated than that? I just can not imagine taking the risk. This is an "03 Cobra, it is driven hard (lol)...has some track time....gas type who knows, again if I had to guess highest octane level... he dynos the car regularly as he makes modifications and so forth...sooooo chip or no chip?? I am guessing chip...let's see if he proves me wrong?? LOL!

Homework noted...challenge accepted...I will hopefully have your answer tomorrow morning as soon as the school bell rings!

You are amazingly knowledgable and I so thank you for sharing your knowledge...look forward to learning more from you and this web site!

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Okay, well regarding voiding the warranty doesn't simply replacing the pulley do that? I wold think most modifications, even more simple ones would. Fill me in here??

Yes, to a point. You have multiple layers to a warranty. Replacing the pulley will void the supercharger warranty. Reversing the mod is easy enough though detection is the key. Additionally if Ford detected the modification during a claim process one would lose the warranty for the affected part. IE. the pulley has nothing to do with the cooling system, transmission, body etc..

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
Okay Teach, here is what I found regarding the terms "Lean" and "Rich" in reference to A/F:

As you told me yesterday A/F stands for Air/Fuel Ratio and that it measures how much air and gas the engine is getting. 14.7 being as close to perfection as you can get in order to ensure there is just enough air to burn each molecule of gas. A "Lean" number/reading would refer to a higher number, such as 15.5 meaning there is too much air and a "Rich" number/reading meaning the opposite, too much gas. The car's computer tries to keep the ratio at 14.7, however, to boost power you would strive for a more "lean" number, more gas, less air. I was informed there are dangers in going too far in either direction, but since I am sure on this web-site atleast this is common knowledge, but it was all very interesting and new to me!

Okay, did I pass?? And do I have to reveal my sources?? LOL!

PS-I was informed by a my mentor of all mentors..LOL..that 11.5 is an ideal number for power...a very "Lean" 11.5 :)

Users who are viewing this thread