I'm at a Loss! Hood Will Still Shake More Violently As Speed Increases. >.<

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
*FIXED* I'm at a Loss! Hood Will Still Shake More Violently As Speed Increases. >.<

Alright, here we go. I just had the driveshaft replaced under warranty and it fixed the chassis vibration I was feeling at highway+ speeds. Cool. Great.

I leave the dealership and head to I-75. Get up to 70mph.......hardly any hood movement. Next, 80mph.......back end of the hood bouncing up and down, but not making noise. 90mph, NOW it's starting to tap and bounce about 3/4" up and down. Anything above 95mph is very uncomfortable as the ENTIRE hood is bouncing enough that I can FEEL it. :nonono:

I've checked EVERYTHING!:mj: The tires are balanced, springs are good, struts, and shocks are secure. The ONLY thing out of place is the airdam/splash guard attached to the back of the front bumper. It's torn loose on the back (only secured point is to the front bumper) and I can only imagine that it would be flapping around at high speeds. Maybe that's causing it? The only other thing I can think of is that the Boss IM changed the air flow under the hood. But I have yet to find ANYTHING pointing to that.

Ford won't do anything. If it doesn't happen at 70mph or under, it isn't happening:cuss:. Whatever, I've got a clean title and if this crap continues, I'm moving the hell on.

Thank you in advance for any help. This is driving me INSANE!

Last edited:

clean92lx

Established Member
It doesn't sound like a vibration problem, it sounds like a wind problem. My hood does the same thing when I go through the blowers at the car wash. Is your car slammed? maybe its hitting a bad sweet spot for the wind to cause the hood to shake. IDK just spit ballin here

01bluesnake

Established Member
I dont think its even possible for the hood to go up and down 3/4" without ripping off the hinges or some serious mph in the upper double digits. Maybe you should get a GoPro cam and video tape what its doing, just a thought.

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
I'm almost positive it's a wind issue, I just can't seem to fix it.

I have Steeda Springs so it's not that low.

As for the video, I'll try to get one today or tomorrow.

clean92lx

Established Member
I dont think its even possible for the hood to go up and down 3/4" without ripping off the hinges or some serious mph in the upper double digits. Maybe you should get a GoPro cam and video tape what its doing, just a thought.
Like I said before, when I'm going through the blowers at car wash, the hood moves up and down quite a bit, I would also say its about 3/4",in the middle of the hood of course. If it were flexing that much at the sides that would be crazy.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Like I said before, when I'm going through the blowers at car wash, the hood moves up and down quite a bit, I would also say its about 3/4",in the middle of the hood of course. If it were flexing that much at the sides that would be crazy.

Ya, i know the middle of the hood will flex but op stated entire hood. The hood is aluminum and will flex a good amount towards the middle.

clean92lx

Established Member
try adjusting the rubber hood stops as far up as they will while still allowing you to positively close the hood, even if it is visibly out of line. and take it for a test drive to see if that helps. If it doesn't shake anymore, re-adjust them just enough until the hood looks good and test again.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
try adjusting the rubber hood stops as far up as they will while still allowing you to positively close the hood, even if it is visibly out of line. and take it for a test drive to see if that helps. If it doesn't shake anymore, re-adjust them just enough until the hood looks good and test again.

+1 my hood stops were a little off when the car was new. It took me a few trys to get them where I was happy with the seems and the hood didn't move.

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
The under tray piece that connects to the front bumper is ripped all the way across and flapping around.

As for the stops and latch, I've adjusted, tightened, rubbed down, talked to, cuddled with, and anything else to get this shake to stop.

I have a 160+mph car that I can't take above 105.

I think I'm going to try and remove that crap under the car. Any negatives to that idea?

Last edited:

Ratchet

Established Member
I have a 13. Yesterday i was crusing at about 120-130 mph for a good 5-6 mins yesterday rollin around turns and all, my hood didn't flutter in the least. Something, maybe hood latch has to be improperly set. I know mine was from the factory. Took a couple hrs monkeying around with everything before I was satisfied. But even before that my hood never budged. :shrug:

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
So the Dealership said they inspected the undercarriage. Yeah, OK, then how in the hell did they miss a piece my car just hanging off and blowin' in the wind? I do believe, uh, THEY DID AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. :nonono:

I used larger washers, reattached the "splash guard/air dam", tightened ALL the other bolts, and guess what?

130+mph with ZERO problems!!:dancenana:

And this is why I work on my own vehicles, even when they are brand new.:rockon:

Thank you for all the replies and ideas. I really do appreciate it!:beer:

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
So the Dealership said they inspected the undercarriage. Yeah, OK, then how in the hell did they miss a piece my car just hanging off and blowin' in the wind? I do believe, uh, THEY DID AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. :nonono:

I used larger washers, reattached the "splash guard/air dam", tightened ALL the other bolts, and guess what?

And this is why I work on my own vehicles, even when they are brand new.:rockon:

you never actually looked under the car :??:

so you had a ram air mod forcing all the air into the engine compartment....nice

At least you found out about the drive shaft lol

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
you never actually looked under the car :??:

so you had a ram air mod forcing all the air into the engine compartment....nice

At least you found out about the drive shaft lol

Yeah, that was a good thing.

As for looking under the car, I made the mistake of trusting the techs. I NEVER did that with any of my cars. This was the first and last time.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member

First thing I thought of when I read this. Glad you found the problem and it was easy to fix:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread