I'm at a Loss! Hood Will Still Shake More Violently As Speed Increases. >.<

11dsgGT

Established Member
I am having the exact problem. It starts happening between 90-100mph. The rear of the hood bounces/flaps and I am at a loss as to what it could be.

Is the splash guard/air dam you mention the same thing as the plastic oil drip pan?

I have tried removing that, making sure it was tight while it was installed, checked all bolts on the hood, checked all bolts/fasteners under the car, checked all hinges/latches for the hood, so basically everything I can think of.

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
I am having the exact problem. It starts happening between 90-100mph. The rear of the hood bounces/flaps and I am at a loss as to what it could be.

Is the splash guard/air dam you mention the same thing as the plastic oil drip pan?

I have tried removing that, making sure it was tight while it was installed, checked all bolts on the hood, checked all bolts/fasteners under the car, checked all hinges/latches for the hood, so basically everything I can think of.

If there is something loose under the car causing a change in pressure in the engine bay, that's a problem.

11dsgGT

Established Member
If there is something loose under the car causing a change in pressure in the engine bay, that's a problem.

The only thing loose is my bumper...I have a Saleen bumper and the mesh grill is damaged. I ordered some tensioners as a replacement, because Saleen does not sell a replacement. I haven't installed them yet so I have my fingers crossed.

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
Im more interested in why you had to replace your driveshaft, what happened there?

The tech said the bearing itself wasn't bad, but the insulator. He hasn't seen them go bad like that so maybe it was just a fluke.

If it keeps going bad, I'll have them replace the driveshaft as long as the warranty is still good. After that, I'm getting a one-piece!

Oh, and the damn underside came loose again today! I might just remove it and call it a day..........

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I think I'm having a similar issue. What exactly was loose on your car? I just installed an airraid intake and immediately noticed my hood violently shaking at speeds above 110. The symptoms are exactly as described in this thread.

Any help is appreciated.

fctrywrkr

5.SL0
Established Member
Speed limit is 65. Don't go 90

you need to find a different forum. maybe prius forum would suit you better? :dw: ever heard of racetracks? or speed limits that are 70, 75, 80? like in TX... isn't san antinio there? so if u go the typical 8 over on the highway, you are pushing close to 90 on so TX highways. but i guess u keep it to 65. :bs:

Nuar

Established Member
you need to find a different forum. maybe prius forum would suit you better? :dw: ever heard of racetracks? or speed limits that are 70, 75, 80? like in TX... isn't san antinio there? so if u go the typical 8 over on the highway, you are pushing close to 90 on so TX highways. but i guess u keep it to 65. :bs:

[youtube_browser]8a2lcFMqHxw[/youtube_browser]:-D

Elwood617

Established Member
So the Dealership said they inspected the undercarriage. Yeah, OK, then how in the hell did they miss a piece my car just hanging off and blowin' in the wind? I do believe, uh, THEY DID AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. :nonono:

I used larger washers, reattached the "splash guard/air dam", tightened ALL the other bolts, and guess what?

130+mph with ZERO problems!!:dancenana:

And this is why I work on my own vehicles, even when they are brand new.:rockon:

Thank you for all the replies and ideas. I really do appreciate it!:beer:

+1 absolutely, I do a much a I can on my own :)

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
I had same issue as OP, with 7k on the clock the front splash shield had a rip in it and was causing a nasty hood vibration. I never hit anything or drove over a parking lot stop, nada. Removed that shield, left the oil pan shield on. No more vibration, period.

5lho

Established Member
In case no one has explained it to you, that little air dam is an essential piece. It's job is to create negative pressure behind it to help the cooling system be more efficient. You've found one of the other purposes, to prevent pressurizing the engine bay which causes massive aerodynamic drag.

Fix it, it's important.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Does anyone have a picture of the air dam? I want to make sure I'm looking at the correct piece. There are about 3 different plastic pieces under the engine/radiator.

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
Aerodynamic drag I knew, but cooling system efficiency I didn't. Bigger question is this, how are these things coming apart with no physical impact? Are 150mph blasts ripping it to shreds?

Users who are viewing this thread