If you like to drag race, would you build your irs or go solid?

306fordgt

Established Member
I am just wondering those of you who like to drag race almost ever weekend in season and still drive it on the street would you build your IRS or go solid? I am looking at going 11 flats or high 10's and pulling atleast 1.60 60' or better. I am leaning towards solid but not sure

Thanks,

Paul

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I've come to really love the IRS. Mod's and times in my sig, totally stock IRS with ET Streets to get out of the hole. I pull consistent 1.6 short times with a few in the 1.5's

GodStang

Established Member
Bought these on Monday

100_1872.gif

100_1873.gif

100_1875.gif

100_1874.gif

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I run in the mid to low 11's on the IRS.
My car also see's autocross and open track events.
No solid for me.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I know plenty of guys that run low 11's and high 10's with the IRS and even better 60' times than you are talking about. I would keep the IRS.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A properly set up IRS will work fine, and you won't compromise ride quality/handling. Especially nice if you both drag race and do open track racing. Many, though, just prefer the solid rear for drag racing. More of a personal choice since both can work well.

69cobrajet

333 Half Evil
Established Member
Go solid.The IRS was a poorly designed unit in these cars.They don't handle that great even when tricked out.If all your doing is drag racing it would be a no brainer.(jmo)

MustangThief

Established Member
Yeah Keep whoring yourself out Godstang with those pics!...

:lol: jk. I wish I had the dough to get some lvl 5's. Although... I'm gonna keep my stockers until they take a shit on me...

96stanggt: You at least have a IRS brace? Those are some nice 60's would hate to see you grenade the pumpkin!

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
I ran 10's on the factory stock irs, but now have a solid. I just like a solid better for drag racing as it's much more simple. I do miss the ride of the irs a little, but was willing to sacrifice it for a stronger drag set up.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Based on the things you've said, I'd go solid just for the simplicity, lower cost for parts (what are level 5s...$1k-$1500? 31 spline Superior/Moser/Strange axles for a solid are $275-300, for example), less weight, and the ability to run 15" rear wheel/tire combos easier. Properly set up it will still be quite decent on the street. I had a solid in my old '04 and really liked it. Now if you are more concerned about ride quality or street manners or plan to do any road courses/autocross you might want to keep the IRS, but on the other hand the Mustang IRS isn't the greatest design and a properly set up solid will keep up with it in the corners too in most cases. Note, I am not saying a solid can do as good or better than a properly designed IRS, like you see in higher end sports car.

Jrgunn5150

Established Member
The simplest thing to do is go solid... The 8.8 has been around forever and making it tough is as easy as falling out of bed. It's also probably the cheapest.

However, giving up the IRS is kinda giving up a part of the car... I mean what it is, part of it's seductiveness, if you follow me. SVT went after the whole package, the ride, the handling, the buttery smooth power, etc etc. With a solid axle, it's just another blown Mustang. But that's just me, and i tend to have far out there opinions.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Many, many cases of fellas doing extremely well with IRS' at the drag strip. Actually, one of the biggest reason for going solid rear is for the weight savings......You're looking at 110-120 lbs saved which is significant.

306fordgt

Established Member
what about the hp loss through and IRS compared to a solid? Does the solid have less parasitic loss?

Paul

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes, Dwight, the weight savings is definitely a consideration. But I thought the weight savings was closer to 175 lbs. No?

Paul, many consider the effects of unsprung vs. sprung weight, which they say negates some of that weight savings. Here is the info I have on my website regarding this. http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092403

"The unsprung weight (or mass) has to do with the overall design/function of the suspension, and the materials used in the construction of suspension components. Solid rear suspensions, in which wheels on opposite sides are connected as a rigid unit, generally have greater unsprung weight than independent suspension systems, in which the wheels are suspended and allowed to move separately. Unsprung weight is brought up because how the two types of suspensions function (unsprung vs. sprung weight/mass) is as important as a weight savings. There are obviously tradeoffs with a solid rear that might negate the physical weight savings. And there are tradeoffs with the IRS if you're drag racing (wheel hop/weight transfer issues). Simply/generally stated (I am not anywhere near an expert in this area), sprung weight is everything from the springs up, and unsprung weight is everything from the springs down. Reducing unsprung weight is a key to increasing the car's performance, although the application factors in. Ie. drag racing vs. road racing. The greater the unsprung weight, the greater the inertia of the suspension, which will be unable to respond as quickly to rapid changes in the road surface, making an IRS setup more preferred for daily driving (driving on uneven road surfaces) or road racing. Here are a couple of interesting reads relative to sprung and insprung weight/mass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_suspension
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_weight

IMO if you're going to use the car primarily for drag racing, a solid rear could be a good/easy choice. But it is important to understand that the IRS can be easily built to handle big power. So it isn't a case where a solid rear is superior in all cases. When all is said and done, it ends up being more of a personal choice. Either suspension can work well at the drag strip. Those who just prefer an IRS setup can stick with it if they so choose. But supporting mods are important for the track.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
The IRS was a poorly designed unit in these cars.They don't handle that great even when tricked out

I hope you're saying handle as in built for drag racing! Wait til the road course guys see this if you're talking about twisties.

Now me I'm staying with the IRS and ordering level 5's and Bogarts(probably) within the next couple of weeks. I got sick of bouncing around on on ramps and every little bump with a standard 8.8! With the ride of the IRS it's like a Caddy!
:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread