If you ever feel adventurous about car repair....

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Yeah...I've been behind the glove box to replace the blower motor resistor TWICE in the last year on the 06 explorer. Gd chinese vato zone shit parts. The job itself wasn't nearly as bad as they could've made it, at least. Probably be doing it for a third time before long.

olympic

Established Member
Just finished replacing the head gasket on a Honda CRV with the 1.5L turbo engine. Was a real nightmare and took me like 3 days...lol! If I had to do it again I thing I'd drop everything out the bottom. There's just way too many things that are difficult to see and access in the engine bay.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Yeah...I've been behind the glove box to replace the blower motor resistor TWICE in the last year on the 06 explorer. Gd chinese vato zone shit parts. The job itself wasn't nearly as bad as they could've made it, at least. Probably be doing it for a third time before long.
Muuuhahahhaaa! My father fought that shit up until he sold his truck.
They will keep blowing. No clue why.
Just keep your receipts- Autozone will replace the damaged part under warranty.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Muuuhahahhaaa! My father fought that shit up until he sold his truck.
They will keep blowing. No clue why.
Just keep your receipts- Autozone will replace the damaged part under warranty.
It's just the poor quality parts. There's really no other reasonable explanation. The original resistor that was built in either Canada or Mexico (can't remember which, I think it was Mexico) lasted 17yrs and 145k miles. China's version lasted 6 months and 2k miles. Lol. ****ing shameful.

01yellercobra

Established Member
A friend of mine was a chassis engineer for Fisker when they were starting up. He's a car guy so he has a little more understanding about future work on the vehicle than most of his coworkers. The best example is the team that designed the battery back put a duck bill on the pack that extended under one of the drive motors. The way the battery back is installed the body has to come off to access it. So should something happen to that motor the body would have to come off. My friend asked the lead what purpose the duck bill served. The guy actually shrugged his shoulders. They just put it there to put it there. The battery pack was eventually redesigned without the duck bill. The repair hours for that motor went from 40+ to 2.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Still doesn't sound as bad as changing a heater core in a Lightning.
This morning, I had to use an inspection camera linked to my iPhone just to be able to view the torx screws I needed to remove. I got 3 of 4, before the caffeine affected my shooting hand....

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Pregnant daughter's car.....
rub.jpg

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
She's married, it was planned... Thanks.
You gave advice about eating one so it's only fair you get some back. Anyway, married or not, I'm going to ask the hard question(s) about the spouse that I'd imagine some are now wondering. Did he offer you some assistance or is he in the military stationed somewhere away?

BTW, I took your advice. I've made it a point to impolitely decline changing the blower motor on a range rover...........................if the opportunity ever comes my way.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
You gave advice about eating one so it's only fair you get some back. Anyway, married or not, I'm going to ask the hard question(s) about the spouse that I'd imagine some are now wondering. Did he offer you some assistance or is he in the military stationed somewhere away?

BTW, I took your advice. I've made it a point to impolitely decline changing the blower motor on a range rover...........................if the opportunity ever comes my way.
Daughter was visiting to help my wife because she broke her back on 31DEC. My SIL is a structural welder in Kansas. He's pretty handy with a wrench, but he's not here, so I'm doing it.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Turbo on a Sprinter van, horrible job

Everything on a Sprinter van is terrible because when they develop an issue it's typically a slew of issues together. Service manager at MB of Seattle was talking to me about them and we were joking about how they come from the factory pre-loaded with fault codes.

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
Sitting here reading all these comments about shitty jobs.

I'm sitting here going, "man these poor guys would die working on a Duramax."

LML duramaxes are NOT fun to do turbos on. Or EGR bypass valves. I'm having flashbacks typing this...

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Everything on a Sprinter van is terrible because when they develop an issue it's typically a slew of issues together. Service manager at MB of Seattle was talking to me about them and we were joking about how they come from the factory pre-loaded with fault codes.
It was probably the worst thing I ever worked on at least one of the most memorable. The job would have been almost easy if you had access from inside the cab but noooo….

SHOdown220

Established Member
Just finished replacing the head gasket on a Honda CRV with the 1.5L turbo engine. Was a real nightmare and took me like 3 days...lol! If I had to do it again I thing I'd drop everything out the bottom. There's just way too many things that are difficult to see and access in the engine bay.

Those are a pain in the ass. I’m almost certain there is a warranty extension coming for it soon though

01yellercobra

Established Member
Sitting here reading all these comments about shitty jobs.

I'm sitting here going, "man these poor guys would die working on a Duramax."

LML duramaxes are NOT fun to do turbos on. Or EGR bypass valves. I'm having flashbacks typing this...
Closest thing I've dealt with was having to put the disaster prevention kit on my F250. Pulling the intake sucked.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Water pump on a GM equinox with the 4 banger.

Never again!
I dropped the engine on the one I did and bought the tool to hold the water pump gear so I didn’t have to pull the timing cover. It wasn’t a bad job, but I had a lift so that helped tremendously.

Users who are viewing this thread