If you could get out of what you do now and start a different business

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I got the **** out of Savannah 6 years ago. Just never got around to changing my location. I heard the are putting in a gas station and shopping complex at the corner of Ferguson. Talk about a traffic nightmare.
Pooler.....is a ****in nightmare
You dont travel Dean forrest....jimmy delouch or anywhere around the airport from 3pm-6pm on the weekdays.

And for added good measure, they just dropped a Dave and Busters in the middle of shit last week.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
While I took a long time to get to this point, I love what I do and where I am at.

Sure, we all want more money, I have passed up numerous offers recently to go elsewhere and start out at $40-50k more base pay. But, I have the overall good gig.

I have golf with my manager and a coworker on vacation. I have hung out with my coworkers outside of work. I make decent pay, enough to enjoy life. I get paid to travel, work helps me travel for vacation, I get to try new places to eat.

The work, to me, is not stressful and it is soothing at times. It is fun to me. I just wish I had found this earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I actually don't like the factory life much anymore. The way management has run it the last few years I've basically checked out. I've been there 17 years and went back to running a machine.

I use to be a shift lead, but once COVID hit and management was pushing us with dumb rules I stepped down.

The only thing that keeps me there, is the work schedule and all my PTO.

The wife is a franchisee owner of our local H&R block. In the future I plan on working for our local golf course with the grounds crew and be done with my current employer...it's toxic.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm kind of stuck where I'm at. I've been at it long enough that I make decent money. And crossing over to a new career would ruin my fun outside of work. Though I'm enjoying my new position quite a bit and that helps.

If I could switch careers I'd go into building engines. Stock to race stuff. It all interests me. Definitely an "if I win the lottery" plan.

The wife and I have talked about looking into buying storage units where we visit in Az. There's always a toy and trailer needing to be stored out there. We wouldn't build new ones. I'd rather buy one already running.

Adower

Established Member
I work in IT. If I could do it over again I would have started with real estate and got a couple rental properties

Saleen498

Established Member
I feel you. I ran a last mile delivery service. when Massachusetts decided to give non citizens drivers license's in this state the market was flooded with new contractors that didn't have the cost of living or the tax burden so the piece rate dropped across the board almost instantly. My year end end in 2020 was less than 1/5 of my 2019 revenue. I moved on to Air freight to try to recoup but the same story there.
Being in the same boat for a deferent reason I can only suggest to look into what relaxes you and make a business out of that. I can tell you no employees defiantly cuts the stress level down. Currently I am looking into moving into Concealment furniture to sell thru my brothers business (no reason to leave the house and no customers looking over your shoulder while working like in the cabinet trade) and looking into online resale of discontinued Lego sets. the markup is insane for just housing inventory and the demand is there. I have been an Ebay seller since 2008 and I can honestly say the fastest moving items are Legos and LGB trains. Almost a guaranteed sale on the first listing especially with seasonal items
Coming from someone who got away from a horrible work/life balance, trust me when I tell you, the money is not worth the time. i was 29, in shape and loving life. blinked and I was 39, 40lbs overweight, working 7 days a week and had a permanent stress ball in my chest. losing my delivery work was the best thing that ever happened to me.

tistan

Established Member
While I took a long time to get to this point, I love what I do and where I am at.

Sure, we all want more money, I have passed up numerous offers recently to go elsewhere and start out at $40-50k more base pay. But, I have the overall good gig.

I have golf with my manager and a coworker on vacation. I have hung out with my coworkers outside of work. I make decent pay, enough to enjoy life. I get paid to travel, work helps me travel for vacation, I get to try new places to eat.

The work, to me, is not stressful and it is soothing at times. It is fun to me. I just wish I had found this earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
What do you do?

VegasMichael

Established Member
I have been an Ebay seller since 2008 and I can honestly say the fastest moving items are Legos and LGB trains.
How have the old Lionel trains been selling? My dad has a bunch from the 1940s and 1950s that he is giving to me. I also have a bunch of HO scale choo-choos from the 70s.

Saleen498

Established Member
How have the old Lionel trains been selling? My dad has a bunch from the 1940s and 1950s that he is giving to me. I also have a bunch of HO scale choo-choos from the 70s.
I never really got into the lionel stuff. My dad has a huge collection but I only felt with G guage stuff. LGB moves quick. USA trains stuff moves on limited run cars

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
6dff6797734fec894495ee0e821142ad

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Is it a wash with employees or drive through

Drive thru.
Think they have 2-3 employees per place. One in the office, and 1-2 outside just watching/trying to get people to sign up to memberships.

Project wise, I have about 8+ active developments with them. It's a huge business booming here.
One of their locations off just memberships pulls in ~1 mil a month. Just that location. Then add in the single pay customers, etc

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I used to think I'd enjoy doing something car related, like a detail/paint correction/high end type shop. Or perhaps a tire shop, or something like that. However, I'm glad I didn't move on that, as I've developed back issues over the last couple of years (slight scoliosis, degenerative disk disease, and a compressed nerve at L4).

Honestly, I think storage units are a big one. I've also heard that laundromats are also a nice business to get into.

In the past five years in my rural area, no less than five different storage unit areas have popped up. Couple of them are high end with power, climate control an option. They are ironclad rentals, you're not responsible for theft, etc etc etc. Minimal dealing with crappy people, most have no utilities other than lighting the parking lot and whatever small office you have. Heck, some of them don't even have an office on site.

If people quit paying, you send certified mail and you have X days to pay or your stuff is removed and sold/tossed.

I've watched them building the storage units - concrete floor, aluminum framing, steel trusses and steel for the roofing. They are built QUICK and they will last a LONG time with minimal, if any, maintenance.

I've got a cousin that has paid for two large units for ten years, and most of the stuff is absolute junk that should have been tossed long ago. I think he pays $150/month?

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I used to think I'd enjoy doing something car related, like a detail/paint correction/high end type shop. Or perhaps a tire shop, or something like that. However, I'm glad I didn't move on that, as I've developed back issues over the last couple of years (slight scoliosis, degenerative disk disease, and a compressed nerve at L4).

Honestly, I think storage units are a big one. I've also heard that laundromats are also a nice business to get into.

In the past five years in my rural area, no less than five different storage unit areas have popped up. Couple of them are high end with power, climate control an option. They are ironclad rentals, you're not responsible for theft, etc etc etc. Minimal dealing with crappy people, most have no utilities other than lighting the parking lot and whatever small office you have. Heck, some of them don't even have an office on site.

If people quit paying, you send certified mail and you have X days to pay or your stuff is removed and sold/tossed.

I've watched them building the storage units - concrete floor, aluminum framing, steel trusses and steel for the roofing. They are built QUICK and they will last a LONG time with minimal, if any, maintenance.

I've got a cousin that has paid for two large units for ten years, and most of the stuff is absolute junk that should have been tossed long ago. I think he pays $150/month?
This. Perfect “own your own business while being pretty much invisible”. Plus, this of the guns and ammo you could buy and store for free for the inevitable civil war.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Drive thru.
Think they have 2-3 employees per place. One in the office, and 1-2 outside just watching/trying to get people to sign up to memberships.

Project wise, I have about 8+ active developments with them. It's a huge business booming here.
One of their locations off just memberships pulls in ~1 mil a month. Just that location. Then add in the single pay customers, etc

There's got to be something to this, as car washes are popping up all over my town. I see a new car wash just about every month being built.

I don't get it. I don't see that many cars needing to be washed. Also, the amount of car washes to cars seem more than adequate. Meaning, there are more than enough car washes to go around. So, I don't see a car wash pulling in a mil a month here.

I purchased a car wash membership at the car wash across the street from my work. I can go through all day everyday for one price per month. I'm guessing the car wash is hoping for those members who pay every month, but don't wash their cars that often. Hell, since it's across the street I go at least twice a week minimum LOL. Getting my membership money's worth LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread