Idle voltage?

SLOWNED

Established Member
Hey guys, yesterday i was cruising on the freeway and i noticed that my battery light flickered a couple times before it just went away. I just hooked up a multimeter to measure the voltage at idle and I'm showing about 12.3v at idle with AC on max. What should i be seeing at idle? Is my alternator on the way out because id rather change it now than get stranded somewhere. And yes i also did a search but it seems like some say voltage should be 13-14v at idle and some say 12+v is just fine. I'm just looking for a definitive answer.

frank5o

Bleed Ford Blue
Established Member
Definitely low. Maybe with every single thing on 12.9 at idle. You want to see 13.5-14.0 in most cases. Definitely change the alternator.

SLOWNED

Established Member
Thats strange. So my alternator is on its way out but how come my battery light flickers intermittently? I read that it's a symptom of a weak alternator but how come the light doesnt stay on? It seems to only flicker briefly when I'm heavy on the throttle.

svtrookie

Established Member
I an having the same issue. I just ordered a 160 amp alternator off eBay that a lot of guys are running. I am hoping that paired with a new motor craft battery will fix the issue. If not, I am going to havecto break down and get a nations alternator. Good luck! I'll update after the install.

Users who are viewing this thread