Identifiying ownership of a firearm

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Long story short, Ex-Wife wants a piddly Walther P22 that I bought "for her" when we were married. She says it was registered in her name and I am doubting that we even got it registered. Where is the easiest place to find this information?

Serial # is 326 1228-AH if that helps.

Thanks!

VA-Mach1

Established Member
Is registration required in your area? Here I VA we just full out a form for a background check. I thought registration was proved to be unconstitutional? I could be totally wrong. If so I'm sure someone here will let me know.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Is registration required in your area? Here I VA we just full out a form for a background check. I thought registration was proved to be unconstitutional? I could be totally wrong. If so I'm sure someone here will let me know.

I'm sure it's the same as you. Background check and purchase.

Who filled out the paperwork when it was purchased?

I don't remember. That's what I'm trying to find out. I know I'm the one that paid for it but I can't remember if it was my background check or hers.

Zemedici

Established Member
So are ya'll arguing over ownership or just curiosity at this point? What's the gun worth, a few hundred bucks? I'd just let her have it to shut her up. :lol: the silence I'd get from an ex would be well worth the money.

cbj5259

Established Member
Your local police should be able to run the serial number for ownership. That being said...if it was purchased while you were married, it is marital property and should have been addressed during the division of property. Even if it was in your name or her name, you both have a 50/50 claim to everything purchased during the marriage.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
So are ya'll arguing over ownership or just curiosity at this point? What's the gun worth, a few hundred bucks? I'd just let her have it to shut her up. :lol: the silence I'd get from an ex would be well worth the money.

Ya. It's not about the money. It's just a thing she brought up this morning when I picked up my son. I asked her if she could take her $240,000 settlement and go buy a gun but that didnt' go over well, lmao.

Your local police should be able to run the serial number for ownership. That being said...if it was purchased while you were married, it is marital property and should have been addressed during the division of property. Even if it was in your name or her name, you both have a 50/50 claim to everything purchased during the marriage.

100% correct. She's just asking for it now because she's being a typical ex.

Zemedici

Established Member
Ya. It's not about the money. It's just a thing she brought up this morning when I picked up my son. I asked her if she could take her $240,000 settlement and go buy a gun but that didnt' go over well, lmao.

DAMN!!!! hahahahaha

#gotemmmmmmmmmm

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Tell her you had to pawn it in order to pay for your freeloading ex wife.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Don't get me started.

Op, cut the gun in half using a bandsaw, and give her half. Been there, done that

I have a plasma cutter, too... I also have a huge hyd press, I wonder if I could heat it and flatten it into a pancake or if the pieces are too brittle?

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
How was it handled in the decree? As mentioned, it should be a marital asset.

It was never brought up. She didn't care about it then, I honestly don't know why she does now. I think she believes her name is on it and she doesn't want me to have control of it.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Go back to the store where you bought it and have them look it up. They are required to keep records. If you have an approximate time frame that would help. If they have computerized records, a simple search will tell you who filled out the ATF F 4473.

Very few states have a handgun "registration." PA is one. Federal government does not and is prohibited from having any type of firearms database except for Title 2 stuff - machineguns, suppressors, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread