I was happy, for a while...

lachj1

Established Member
I've owned my cobra for a little over 2 years and I finally got a 2.8 pulley for it. I was amazed at the power difference and I also thought that was going to be it for mods.
I haven't been on this site for about a year and just a few days ago I'm going over all these threads. It seems that the majority of you have all went to the KB and Whipple. Well now my car just seems so inadequate.
Before the pulley I wanted to be able to rip through 1st gear no matter how hot the asphalt was now with wanting or I should say needing to rip through 2nd and a little of 3rd gear I can't seem to get my mind off the KB.

I just watched Postbans 666 rwhp dyno video, that damn thing's for the devil!! :bowdown:
This site is going to drive me broke! :beer:

x14

Established Member
I'm almost at 1 year with my 04. When I first got it my goal was to get past 400 rwhp. I'm now at 433 and am looking to get past 450. Everytime I go to the performance shop the mechanic there is asking when am I going to get it pullied. Probably going to end up doing that next month after I pay off some bills.

The only time it end is when the car is gone...

Big_Torch

Banned
I got mine in december, about march i slapped a 2.93 on it. My tuner kept telling to stop small balling things and get a whipple, he always loved giving me crap. He sure as hell seemed suprised when i called and told him i got the whipple, i have no idea what im going to do with 500+ hp. lol

I am rather scared as to how long my clutch will last.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
i doubt i will ever have "enough" at the pace i'm going and the mindset i have toward HP/TQ/ET's/MPH

CobraMystic

Established Member
It will never be enough. Once you're satisfied, some product will come along and promise 10 more hp for $300 and we'll all beat a path to his door.

mean04cobra

Established Member
Well folks....I'm hoping and looking for advice. I was good at making stupid amounts of power in a pushrod motor but now I am afraid that I'm in over my head. So here are the simple questions......

-What exhaust system is reccomended?
-What size Pulley for drivability and performance?
-How much and how hard is it to put in a solid axle?
-I would like to break the 500 rwhp mark. Can it be done with the eaton?
-Anything else?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sad but true that you can spend a ton of money on mods. It was so simple back when they were first introduced. You basically picked an exhaust, intake, pulley, idlers and tune. Maybe a throttle body. Now you have upteen different pullies (upper and lower), blowers, porting, new shifters, gears, tires, wheels, suspension mods, radiators, heat exchangers, cooling mods, coolant reservoirs, blink mods, brake upgrades, spark plugs, a growing pick of catbacks, seats, and on and on. Seems like every time a new mod is introduced or publicized a lot of folks want to jump on it. It is very easy to throw $500. a month into mods. Too easy! LOL!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
mean04cobra said:
Well folks....I'm hoping and looking for advice. I was good at making stupid amounts of power in a pushrod motor but now I am afraid that I'm in over my head. So here are the simple questions......

-What exhaust system is reccomended?
-What size Pulley for drivability and performance?
-How much and how hard is it to put in a solid axle?
-I would like to break the 500 rwhp mark. Can it be done with the eaton?
-Anything else?
1. The exhaust system you pick should be based on what you're looking for as far as power and sound. There are loud catbacks and not so loud catbacks. I used the Steeda catback (made by Borla) and was very pleased. No drone. Drone can be an issue with some of the louder catbacks. You can go with an off-road midpipe (no cats and not legal for street use) or a catted (high-flow) midpipe. There are X-pipe and H-pipes. X-pipe give more of what is described as an exotic tone whereas an H-pipe will be closer to the stock tone. Just louder. I personally prefer the MRT catted H-pipe.
2. I used a 2.90" Reichard Racing pulley and always considered it the best balance of power and preventing excessive spinning of the blower (which produces more heat). Many go with a 2.93 (about the same power as the 2.90) with the same goal. You will need at least one extra idler (go with Billetflow) or use a 3-idler setup like I did. You can go with smaller pullies to eek out more power but at the expense of spinning the blower faster and generating more heat.
3. The solid rear swap isn't difficult if you know what you're doing. A number of people have done it and can help. You might be able to find someone with a solid rear (late model Stang) who is willing to swap with you. Check the Want-Ads here to see if there are any available.
4. If you want to break 500rwhp with the Eaton you're going to have to port it. That and a good tune with the standard mods above should get you there or close. But you're going to have to go the porting route. Headers and a ported throttle body will help, but headers are tough to install on these cars and some have had leaking issues. You can have your stock throttle body ported (Steigemeier does it and well as porting of your blower) or you can buy an Accufab throttle body/plenum. But they aren't cheap.

Bear in mind that if you're looking to hit the '500' mark you will probably need to upgrade your MAF and fuel pumps. The stock injectors should be fine.

As far as other recommendations, my best advice is to spend some time here browsing the threads and using the Search feature. There is a ton of info here that will help you. So much, that it might confuse you. LOL! Good luck with your modding.

nugen

Established Member
Caroll Shelby said it best, "Too much horsepower is almost enough". No matter what you do, someone is always going to be faster. Even if you go with the big huffer, there will always be someone out there who can destroy you. I think the real challenge is to make your car faster than everyone thinks it is. Get a quiet exhaust and mods that aren't readily visible. Convince everyone that your car is stock and then shock them with an 11 second pass.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
in less then a year i went from 400 to 500 to 600 and id say its almost enough
as now the car really feels the stress with thats much power, traction is none existant, the clutches to support it dont seem to last long or really suck in stop and go traffic so Id say its on the border in terms of enough power.

if I had another car to drive everyday I would most certainly say its not enough :)

shocker 420

Established Member
Yeah... I'm like the only one here who is 100% stock!!! :rockon:

So you guys with 500, 600 horsepower, remember you guys WANT more... I NEED more! lol :beer:

Thrust

Established Member
PonyFever said:
This car is worse than a mistress.
I couldn't have said it better myself! She always wants more money to make herself better for me.

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
i just have the k&n drop in and the magnaflow catback. after many years of burning the midnight oil working on race cars i no longer desire to constantly work on these cars. the more you mod them the less dependable and streetable they become. power costs in both money and time, but boy it is tempting! :burnout:

Last edited:

BoneCrusher

Established Member
I ran mine with a FIPK and exhaust only for 2 years. Over this winter I went with the Stieg ported blower, 2.76, etc. ect. Dyno numbers in sig. Been driving the car with all the new HP for 4 months and I'm already saving for some spray. Talk about opening pandora's box. I'm just glad I have you other junkies around to let me know that I'm "normal" despite what everyone tells me.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
PonyFever said:
This car is worse than a mistress. And better taken care of.

LOL, my ex-g/f used to say that the cobra was like my mistress. now every time i hear the song "mistress" by Disturbed i think about the cobra :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread