I want to like the New Tundra....

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
So I'm in a jam. My current 2005 2500HD (6.0 gasser, 4l85) is a great truck, but it rides like a dump truck and gets 10mpg. I'm sure some Kings and Deavers will help a lot with the ride, but there's not much I can do with the 22 gallon tank. 10mpg sucks hard when at 180 miles you have to fill up. I'm easily knocking out 50 miles a day. Truck is also a pooch and being in Arizona, I have to roller test yearly for a HD. This brings concerns about doing a cam and a tune to boost horse power.

So looking at new shit, cause if I'm gonna upgrade, I want to UPGRADE

Silverado is a natural pick. 2023 RSTs are getting marked down so you can get a bench seat 5.3 4x4 Quad Cab for like $48k. However the new MFD 5.3 gives me pause, they've had a lot of lifter failures and the whole Chevy thing gives me pause. They just don't make them like they used too. The other thing is the new Silverado still has a trash spec 22 gallon tank, which again will limited range to like 250-300 miles at best.

So for some retarded reason I keep trying to justify in my mind a new Tundra, despite its GLARING faults.

Tundra Cons:
No V8
No Recovery Hooks (not a real issue but it shows stupidly on Toyotas part)
Remote Start (subscription based and turns off when you open the door)
Taillight C-shape
Engine Sound
Turning radius
Overall Build Quality has been poor

Tundra Pros:
32 gallon tank and about 17mpg
Flat Bottom, seems well designed
Perceived Toyota Reliability and resale (engine seems better designed then the EcoBust)

A '24 Tundra would be around $54k. Overall no idea why the hell I'm trying convince myself on a Tundra. Silverado seems like a much more logical choice.

01388980-1002-45B1-86B2-7E0F838EBE79.jpg
Img_2023_09_14_10_43_33.jpeg
Img_2023_08_05_18_26_40.jpeg
Img_2023_07_28_14_05_31.jpeg

Attachments

• Img_2023_07_28_14_05_50.jpeg
    Img_2023_07_28_14_05_50.jpeg
    449.3 KB · Views: 73

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Had a LTD Silverado for over a year, 6.2L optioned RST.

Got it for 53k in 22. Traded it in for 50k back in May.

The lifter issue is shit luck, IMO. I've seen posts on people getting hit twice in their ownership on either the 5.3L or 6.2L.

No real complaints, but just didn't care for having no fool proof way of preventing the lifters from going other than paying 4k+ to get new cams, springs, tune. But then goes the warranty on the powertrain. And the gas tank at 24gals sucked, even with 17-18mpg.

IIRC the front diff is welded on the Silverado so if you do ever do the above and want 35's etc, it's going to be a dog/make sure at least you get 3.42's.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
no factory option for the bigger tank on the GM product? I know for Ford its included in some packages and optional for others.

Is there an aftermarket bigger tank option?

im guessing hes looking into the GM because of the price markdowns

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
no factory option for the bigger tank on the GM product? I know for Ford its included in some packages and optional for others.

Is there an aftermarket bigger tank option?

im guessing hes looking into the GM because of the price markdowns

Nope factory and no aftermarket options. I've looked even for my truck. It comes up a lot as guys are always asking if they can modify the diesel tanks to work.

As for other Options. I hate the F150, not feeling the Ram and hard pass on the last year of the Titan.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Range is 375 with my 6.2.

You forgot rust issue with Toyotas. Probably not an issue where you are at though.

Where did you get the pic of the lifted zr2? I am struggling to figure out how to get 35s on with the multimatic.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Why not a Ford? Out of curiousity.

Pretty much hate everything about the F150 and have for decades.

Don't like the engines, don't like the styling (driver window drop cut), don't like the transmission. I don't like they way they are packaged or the interiors.

I've thought about a used Raptor but the 3.5 sounds so awful and I'm convinced it's a reliability turd.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
15-17mpg in a 5.3 and no option for bigger tank for any gas truck. It's a GM thing apparently.
Interesting. I get 23-24 in my 150, so around 500 miles per tank. It has a 23 gal, but had an option for a 32 gal I think it was. Wish I had gone for that now. Next one I will.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Know anything about this tank?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
The Tundra is an absolute stunner in the looks department when done correct. Those lines really work for me. Also out of all performance cars that I have had, ironically the little Tacoma has been the one that has “given me back” the most money. Resale value, incredible. I have beat it to shit and still going strong. With that said, my vehicles have always been good to me and taken their beatings.
I have also thought about getting one, but the engine choice made me pause.
I dont think I can have a full size truck and it not be a V8.

I had the same issue with the Raptor. Almost took the leap a few years back, but ultimately could not swallow the ecobust.

Silverado is meh… The only one that really has appeal to me, is the ZR2. Which is not the model you are going for.

Tough choice.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Range is 375 with my 6.2.

You forgot rust issue with Toyotas. Probably not an issue where you are at though.

Where did you get the pic of the lifted zr2? I am struggling to figure out how to get 35s on with the multimatic.

I think that's a Baja Kits truck done by PowerPax.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
The DOD lifter debacle has been overstated, it can happen, but is not as rampant as the interwebz would have you believe.. I have had two 5.3 chebbies with the DOD/AFM bullshit, but no lifter failures.. I had over 100K miles on both… if you are really worried you can do the DOD/AFM delete. FWIW its a pick your poison type deal, dodge hemis go kablooey, ecoboost have their problems too etc.. I would buy any of the big three with confidence over a jap truck anyday.

Users who are viewing this thread