I thought I would set up a wireless network at home...

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member

I know, I know. My computer at work was messed up this morning. I didn't think it created the first thread, so I made the second one.
It has been one of those days... ALL DAY.

the Airport Extreme has been returned.
It has been replaced with a Linksys WRT160N.

This one seems to work. thanks for the advice guys.
Any other tips on keeping this thing running and secure?

Last edited:

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
I know, I know. My computer at work was messed up this morning. I didn't think it created the first thread, so I made the second one.
It has been one of those days... ALL DAY.

the Airport Extreme has been returned.
It has been replaced with a Linksys WRT160N.

This one seems to work. thanks for the advice guys.
Any other tips on keeping this thing running and secure?

do not use WEP encryption as it can be cracked(realistically not a big concern), try wpa2

if it works you're good to go :rolling:

Venomous98Cobra

Established Member
do not use WEP encryption as it can be cracked(realistically not a big concern), try wpa2

if it works you're good to go :rolling:

I agree, using WPA2 is a lot more secure.

Keep in mind though, losing power for extended period can reset your router to default settings. A lot of people don't know this and actually keep using an open connection after an outage.

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
I agree, using WPA2 is a lot more secure.

Keep in mind though, losing power for extended period can reset your router to default settings. A lot of people don't know this and actually keep using an open connection after an outage.
maybe on some routers, I know on mine the config stays unless a firmware is reflashed or the reset button is pressed for some time

98slowbra

Established Member
I ran it for years on the WRT54G and am now running it on the WRT310N with no problems for the past month or so.

ok because mine seems to go down about 4 times a week and I have to reboot the router. Is this firmware more stable? and my PS3 does not seem to like the wireless to much it can hardley ever get a IP from the router.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
uhh how far away is your computer from your router? If its too far it will act like you were describing it.

divernb

Unrefined
Established Member
As some have said, setup WPA2 encryption, and also change the username and password for administrative access on the router. You also may want to change the default IP address of the router. All of those things are available to anyone on the internet, and it wouldn't be very hard to get in to your routers settings.

just change those things and you'll be as secure as you need to be. Also, don't disable the SSID broadcast. It's nothing but a hassle and there are 20 ways to find out a network name even if it isn't broadcasting it. So just leave it on w/ encryption.

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
I have the wireless router up and running.
It seems to work fine for a few minutes and then i lose the connection to the internet. A minute or two later it lets me get back on. Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct that?

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
who is your ISP, is it cable internet or DSL....sounds to me like your router renews ip but that's just a guess.

try googling the router model+isp+symptoms

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
who is your ISP, is it cable internet or DSL....sounds to me like your router renews ip but that's just a guess.

try googling the router model+isp+symptoms

I have DSL through Smithville telephone / Smithville Digital.

I'll try googling it. thanks.

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
update...
I figured it out. It took a lot longer than I thought it would.
After tinkering around with the settings manually, it works like a charm.
I had to set it to broadcast wireless b/g instead of auto. I also had to set the channel to 11 instead of auto. I tried them all, one at a time.
Now it works the way its supposed to.
I even got my iphone to link to it. Apparently switching it to b/g instead of n took care of that problem.

Thanks for all your help guys!! :beer::pepper::banana::dancenana:

RussZTT

Established Member
Linksys Wireless-G WRT54GL for the win. Best router out there period. Although I use DD-WRT for firmware. I didn't care for Tomato as much.
Me to and love it. Just wish they would update their firmware. Mine is from 05. :nonono:

Venomous98Cobra

Established Member
update...
I figured it out. It took a lot longer than I thought it would.
After tinkering around with the settings manually, it works like a charm.
I had to set it to broadcast wireless b/g instead of auto. I also had to set the channel to 11 instead of auto. I tried them all, one at a time.
Now it works the way its supposed to.
I even got my iphone to link to it. Apparently switching it to b/g instead of n took care of that problem.

Thanks for all your help guys!! :beer::pepper::banana::dancenana:

Like I stated earlier, sometimes you have to manually select the channel. FYI, if you live pretty close to neighbors and your picking up their wireless routers and they select the same channel, it can cause the problem all over again. You may have to change the channel a good amount of times, hopefully not though.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Most routers have conflicts with things around your house. Wireless surround sound can interfere with your wireless connections along with microwaves. Phones a notorious for causing problems.

Routers usually have a channel select for the wireless setting. You may want to try and manually select the channel.

edit - Oh and I recommend using Linksys.

Yes, that reminds me, when I first set up my Linksys, it did have a conflict with our cordless phone. Me, being too stupid to RTFM, called Linksys tech support, and by golly, the fellow there properly diagnosed the situation and walked me through the correct setup procedure. :beer: to Linksys. I won't buy any other brand.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I had an older Linksys wireless router, but when I bought a new tower with 801.11n capable wireless I got a Netgear router.. love it and works just fine with the 64 bit Vista I'm running on my tower..

Users who are viewing this thread