I thought I would set up a wireless network at home...

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
I did some research on wireless routers and decided to purchase an Apple Airport Extreme. It's supposed to be very fast, easy to set up and reliable... Unless you're using Windows Vista. :bored: I jacked with this project all afternoon and evening yesterday. The notebook would see the network, connect to the network and then drop the connection to the network. It would only connect intermittently. If I could get it connect to the internet, it was slower than using a carrier pigeon. I've been looking online this morning for a possible solution to this situation. I may just end up returning it and getting a different router. Does anyone have any experience with Vista and an Airport Extreme?

This is my first time trying to set up a wireless network and at this point I'm more than frustrated with it.

Last edited:

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
What was the factor that made you decide on the airport?

Unless you have a specific need for airport, return it and pick up a Linksys Wireless-G WRT54GL. I am running one with Tomato firmware and it's a pleasure to use. It offers QOS, very stable speeds and a bunch of security options (WEP, WPA,WPA2-both personal and enterprise)

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
I found your problem

apple-logo.gif

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member

Unless you have a specific need for airport, return it and pick up a Linksys Wireless-G WRT54GL. I am running one with Tomato firmware and it's a pleasure to use. It offers QOS, very stable speeds and a bunch of security options (WEP, WPA,WPA2-both personal and enterprise)

Well, like all other Apple products, it's supposed to be easy to use and it's just supposed to work. Apparently not.

Thank you for the suggestion.

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member

I guess I chose the wrong router.
What kind of situation would be appropriate for an airport?

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Linksys Wireless-G WRT54GL for the win. Best router out there period. Although I use DD-WRT for firmware. I didn't care for Tomato as much.

I have 2 of them. One running my domain at home and the other running backup internet.

Last edited:

98slowbra

Established Member
Linksys Wireless-G WRT54GL for the win. Best router out there period. Although I use DD-WRT for firmware. I didn't care for Tomato as much.

I have 2 of them. One running my domain at home and the other running backup internet.

how does that DD-WRT work for you? does it really make a difference? if so I wonder if I can load it on my linksys WRT-310N

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
I guess I chose the wrong router.
What kind of situation would be appropriate for an airport?
I looked at the specs of the router and it's nothing more then any other b/g/n router except in this case you pay a heft apple tax(I saw them online for 150)
how does that DD-WRT work for you? does it really make a difference? if so I wonder if I can load it on my linksys WRT-310N

I can't really speak for dd-wrt but from what I read it's very nice, one of the features of Tomato I use is wireless survey to set my channel different from people around me, increasing range, and QOS is amazing if you torrent.

I am pretty sure dd-wrt offers the same features as tomato.

Last edited:

Tispho

Established Member

Unless you have a specific need for airport, return it and pick up a Linksys Wireless-G WRT54GL.

:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

This is a great router, open source. I run dd-wrt on it.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member

I second that suggestion - have one here, and it was easy to set up and runs without problem.

LSUstang05

Established Member
Apple makes some good products but I have never met anybody that liked their routers. I'd get d-link or netgear. I've never had any issues with netgear or d-link. Linksys has never worked well with any of my computers that I've had.

theraapster

Established Member

I ran it for years on the WRT54G and am now running it on the WRT310N with no problems for the past month or so.

Venomous98Cobra

Established Member
Most routers have conflicts with things around your house. Wireless surround sound can interfere with your wireless connections along with microwaves. Phones a notorious for causing problems.

Routers usually have a channel select for the wireless setting. You may want to try and manually select the channel.

edit - Oh and I recommend using Linksys.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread