I saw the '04 Cobra last night

frank3si

Established Member
Last night I saw the '04 Cobra at the 40th Anniversary celebration for the Mustang, at New York's Hammerstein Ballroom. As reported, it's a Mystichrome paint scheme, and though no tech sheets were available it did look just about identical to our Cobras. From eyeballing it: no AC vent shut off in center, the A pillars look the same, it had chrome wheels identical to '03s. The only difference was the seats had color inserts as did the steering wheel. No idea of price, but that's a very expensive paint. I'm of two minds about it - it is a very cool paint, but kind of gimmicky at the same time. So...

Aside from the Cobra, the concepts were there, along with a dizzying room full of GT350, GT500, Boss 429, Boss 302, GT350H, etc. etc. - all in perfect condition of course.

I had a chat with John Force about aerodynamics, and in a bigger surprise ran into Warren Haynes of Gov't Mule and the Allman Brothers, who had a friend in the band that was playing.

Anyway, bottom line- our Cobras are still current! :beer:

Frank

03SLOBRA

Trollin aint easy
Established Member
frank3si, thanks for the pic, its what I've been trying to tell people here for some time. A good friend at Ford's engine test lab said he saw a mystic colored Cobra with a window sticker saying 2004 about 3 months ago.
Thats the Cobra I want!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the update Frank. And the pic.

Personally I'd like to see them come out with different colors each year to differentiate the years, but the "mystic" type paint has been around too long in my opinion, and has become a favorite of the ricer crowd. I know there will be those who will want it, though.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Damn. I would have bought that. My wife would kill me if I wanted to trade mine in for that. I will wait to see what the 2005 Cobra is doing.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
The color is cool to see once in a while but I would never buy it. Actually I would have preferred to see a different type of multi colored paint for 03.

OverToad

Established Member
A friend had the mystic paint on his '96. It was cool.........for about a month.
Now I'm not knocking the '04 just because it's an '04. There's not really an exclusiveness, since 10k+ will be produced in the 03 model year. If I wanted to stay exclusive, and was worried about such things, I would have kept my Saleen.

I just don't think the mystic paint is anything special. In fact, if you get dinged or wrecked, wait until you see the bill to paint it.

However, for those that really like the mystic, enjoy :)

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
The first Cobra I ever rode in was my stepdad's 1996 Mystic Cobra. That car was gorgeous.

I'd buy Mystic. I love it.

Sonic blue still has a color shift though, and that's what really drew my attention to it.

Hopefully with them running another year that means potential fixes for some of our issues.

lesrok

Established Member
Spoke to my friend that works for SVT and said it will have a new revision of the s/c that works more efficient, meaning more hp.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by lesrok
Spoke to my friend that works for SVT and said it will have a new revision of the s/c that works more efficient, meaning more hp.

Ask him if it will be a direct swap.

silvercoffin

Established Member
nice

Thats cool they are offering something different. I'm not crazy about the mystic thing. There's always an ugly angle IMOP

I have seen some paint jobs at car shows that go between to distinct colors. That's cool cause theres no inbetween...no shade of brown somewhere or something close to it. I wish Ford would do something like that.

Or just different colors like mentioned above would be nice. Going back to a chrome yellow or offering that in addition to zinc. Also a shade of green would be nice... TOO MUCH GREY!

or how about ORANGE! hehehe

How did the color interior accents look?

I didnt like the look of that Anniversary Ed. red and black interior/seats that isaw somewhere.

realsmith

Wally World or Bust
Established Member
I owned a '96 with 1400 miles on it. Some guy in Houston bought it to store as a collector. The only problem with mystic is that it shifts from hues of green and brown 95% of the time. Someone also told me that the paint was astronomically high. I did get lots of complements on it though.

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
Looks like I know what I want for my brother for my birthday....a new paint job....he is a badass painter! Is this paint code on file....I am gonna have him find it and....hmmmm, must mod...no bling.....but would looks so good....

Users who are viewing this thread