I need a throttle body (need recommendations)

KooK

Established Member
I bought a ported 01 Cobra intake not too long ago and I need to slap a throttle body on the thing. I really wanted an accufab but I believe they only go up to 60mm, I'm going to call this one probably a 62mm. I know BBK is in my list of options but is there anything else I could be looking for?

1072411_10153073210875595_558387920_o_zps1587df73.jpg

snakeraper11b

Established Member
BBK throttle bodies are crap. However, there's no power to be gained by changing the throttle body on our cars...If you absolutely had your heart set on having one just to have it, the twin 60 accufab is the best one you can buy. It will flow enough CFM for any combo you can throw at it.

KooK

Established Member
I was looking at them thinking their construction seemed pretty damn sloppy compared to an accufab. I'll steer clear of them and if worse comes to worse I'll run a 60mm.

The bottom end is bored and stroked (.020 over with a 3.75" crank) with a little head work, I'm running a single turbo. Just getting back into Mustangs again so I'm trying to relearn what to stay away from here.

Thanks guys.

KooK

Established Member
Follow up question, I'm trying to do a little research as to why people are saying the BBKs are junk here. Is there a casting problem? Do the copper sleeves tend to leak? Is there an issue with the quality control?

CrispyBacon

Established Member
I know on my old fox the damn BBK tb whistled due to the casting being rough in the iac passages. Not sure how their modular ones are but I wasn impressed with the one on the 5.0

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I had a 70mm BBK on my 89GT for 15 yrs, it worked awesome and enjoyed a 150 shot nozzle spraying right in front of it. :D Brain Posi made some decent gains porting a twin BBK over stock with forced induction.

KooK

Established Member
I've been searching and finding out more on the BBK issues. I personally used to have one in my 2v engine and it worked great. Ran nitrous, beat on the thing, always worked smooth, never had tuning issues. However from what I'm reading they can be hit or miss. A lot of people have had issues with the twin blades catching on the casting, not letting them shut all the way or hanging onto the casting and causing the throttle to "pop" as you're at a light trying to pull away. I had an old work truck that did that, most annoying damn thing...

I'm just going to go with an Accufab 60mm I think. I'm not too keen on the idea of cutting my intake and putting an oval on it. I also don't think that 2mm loss on both blades is going to be that detrimental, including how well the Accufabs are actually put together and how nice their design is.

So there you go, I'm on the hunt for a 60mm twin blade Accufab. Thanks for the help guys.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The BBK TBs are not crap and I've used them and had no problems. Yes, they sometimes have idle issues but those care easily fixed with some minor adjustments. With that, it or an accufab TB will add no power to blow-thru, FI combos. Save your money or put it into something that adds performance.

KooK

Established Member
The BBK TBs are not crap and I've used them and had no problems. Yes, they sometimes have idle issues but those care easily fixed with some minor adjustments. With that, it or an accufab TB will add no power to blow-thru, FI combos. Save your money or put it into something that adds performance.

But it looks pretty.

Plus I don't have any throttle body at the moment. "But you could get one for $100-150!" I refer you back to the opening argument of this reply.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
But it looks pretty.

Plus I don't have any throttle body at the moment. "But you could get one for $100-150!" I refer you back to the opening argument of this reply.

Pretty ain't fast.

You can get a stock TB for $25-$50 and a used accufab or BBK for $200-$250.

Both the Accufab and BBK TBs are well made and look all nice and shiny. Hwoever, I've seen problems with both of manufacturers (and no power gain).

Last edited:

KooK

Established Member
Would you also happen to have a matching throttle cable and bracket?

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
some thing i noticed is everyone is comparing apples to oranges... a fox and a new edge mod motor are two entirely different beasts.... ive never had an issue with a bbk product rather lone their throttle bodys'... with a bored motor and head work.. the air demand will be higher... so i dont follow the theory about it not helping..

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
A larger cubic in motor won't gain power with a larger TB and the reason for that is that the sock TB flows more air than the engine needs.

01yellercobra

Established Member
some thing i noticed is everyone is comparing apples to oranges... a fox and a new edge mod motor are two entirely different beasts.... ive never had an issue with a bbk product rather lone their throttle bodys'... with a bored motor and head work.. the air demand will be higher... so i dont follow the theory about it not helping..

I'm still running a stock throttle body. Last time my car saw a dyno it made 570rwhp. I've since upped the boost. I think the stocker is fine. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread