I need a new PCV/Vac hose...advice?

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
2004 Cobra, stock Eaton.
Had a hanging idle, discovered a vacuum leak in the big hose at the back of the blower, I'm pretty sure this goes behind the blower then to the PCV valve on the driver's cylinder head. Hose is damaged/degraded and leaking air. Anybody got one of these laying around, I don't know if you Whipple or KB guys use the same tubes or not?

Otherwise I'll also request a quote from Tousley Ford.
Pic 1 is where the vac tube enters the back of the blower.
Diagram below that is what it would look like from the back of the blower, I think I pulled the right diagram from the CD manual. Any idea what this part number would be?
backofblower.jpg

pcvhosediagram.jpg

Last edited:

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
I'm waiting on a quote from Tousley Ford, but until then, how much to ship your best one to me in FLA at 32606?

TRBO VNM

I don't know, $20?

From Ford you will most likely get that whole line from pcv all the way to under the eaton. I have ordered a couple in the past and that is how they came. I don't recall the cost on them.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Thanks for the offers to sell me your spares guys.
Mike R. at Tousley quoted me $32.66 (+S/H) for the whole line from the blower to the PCV valve so I'm ordering that. I'll post up a pic when I get it in case this would help anybody else with this issue.

steve5575

Established Member
Same thing happened to me. By coincidence the local Ford parts house had it in stock. I paid ~$50 for the whole thing. The problem with purchasing the entire thing is all you really need is one piece of rubber. You can't get to the underside of the manifold so that long hose is worthless and the other part is a hard plastic part and pcv that goes to the drive side cam cover. I guess what I'm saying is that if you can get just the rubber piece for $20 you are saving $15 as that other stuff doesn't get you a darn thing.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Need more help

OK here's what the whole assembly looks like.
Does anybody know where the lower line goes to?
Hoping maybe I can get to it from below, it's really crowded reaching this stuff behind the blower.

Ironhand

Banned
OK here's what the whole assembly looks like.
Does anybody know where the lower line goes to?
Hoping maybe I can get to it from below, it's really crowded reaching this stuff behind the blower.

There is a fitting that screws into the bottom of your lower intake. You have to pull your lower off to get to it.

TRBO VNM

There is a fitting that screws into the bottom of your lower intake. You have to pull your lower off to get to it.

yup, blower and lower need to come off. I just pull the fitting and plug the hole and then cap that port on the Tee. I actually found I had 2 of these. one brand new and the other used, but no dry rotting or anything.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Thanks guys, I just replaced the blower end of the hose and left the rest alone. After I got the old piece off I could see where it dry rotted/cracked. Will drive it today and see if that takes care of my vacuum leak.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Different symptoms now...AARRGGHH

Drove the Cobra to work this morning, initial warmup idled fine, drove fine, but 15 minutes later at a stoplight in neutral, the idle speed drops down to like 400 rpm then revs back up to normal, then drops again, so now I'm giving it a little gas to keep it alive. When the light is green, it drives fine to the next light, then the same thing, so I nurse it to my destination. After the engine cools I'll check for the obvious stuff like any loose vacuum lines I handled last night, etc.

Got a 400 mile trip with the wife on Thursday so I'm sweating a little here.

Any other ideas what would cause this new issue?

SciFiHiFi

Established Member
I'm guessing you still have a vacuum leak. If that hose fell apart, others are probably doing the same thing. A tactic for tracking these down is to spray WD40 on any suspect connections and listen for a change in the idle.
Double check all your hose clamps on the intake.. Add hose clamps or back to back zip ties where ever you can, such as that connection on the back of the blower that you just replaced. Some of the factory vacuum lines are wrapped in a sheath you might want to carefully remove that so you can inspect the lines.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Continued

Looked over everything two more times, can't find anything leaking. Sprayed carb cleaner on quite a few hoses and connections, no change in idle. The problem is it's intermittent.

Replaced the PCV and the IAC valve with brand new parts today, no difference. The super low idle is worst when the A/C is on, the Cobra actually stalled coasting around a corner today.:fm: Usually it will recover back to around 700-750 rpm, but stopping is tricky. The problem mostly happens when I pop it in neutral and let off the gas at a light, etc. The exhaust also smells weird, maybe it's running rich? I don't have an A/F guage...

Tomorrow I'll pull the JLT intake off to check for cracks, etc.
PS my avatar shows my old cold air, I now have a CF RAI. I cleaned the MAF wire about a month ago but I might as well do it again when I have the intake off.

Ironhand

Banned
Replace the entire hose setup from the fitting in the lower intake all the way to the PCV. Start there.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Yep, can't get to that lower intake hose, but I did replace the right hand side of the PCV line (plastic hard line) starting from the lower tee out to the cam cover. Also checked the JLT intake for cracks, etc., no problems there. Cleaned the MAF wire again. Removed my oil separator and put back stock PCV configuration just in case those lines had any leaks. Will see how it runs this morning on the drive to work...

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Still no change today, although I'm noticing now that the off-idle tip-in is not as smooth anymore, maybe even some hesitation or surge. Hooked up the Predator to datalog some stuff at idle, Fuel pressure was around 38-39 psi. I checked the TPS and got 0.95V so I reset it to 0.99V. Fired it up and it seemed to idle well, turned on the A/C and it nearly stalled. I disconnected the battery for 30 min and reconnected it, hoping maybe the computer will re-learn the setting. Leaving shortly for an 800 mile round trip, back next week.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Yep, apparently letting the computer "reset" by disconnecting the battery made the difference. (Not the solution, but it allowed the computer to relearn with the new IAC, TPS settings, etc.)

900 mile round trip with no issues and still running fine. Just got to take care of a TOB squeal now...

Users who are viewing this thread