I miss cars that were not enormous, but just right.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I was looking through some old photos and came across two cars I wish I still had (long story and the Mustang especially was very successful on the show circuit back in the day and even had a couple of magazine features and then it evolved even more after that). Just a comparison of a 1987 Fox Body Notchback vs a 2013 Mazdaspeed 3 shows just how much they have grown in size, and it has gotten even worse since then. I miss cars that were realistic in size. Much more fun. I know those days are long gone, but one can be nostalgic. I actually passed on a used late model Boss because I could not get over how large it felt.

Attachments

• IMG_20150717_152036 1.jpg
    IMG_20150717_152036 1.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20150717_145821 1.jpg
    IMG_20150717_145821 1.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 140

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I get what you're saying overall, but consider how much better today's cars are technology/design/feature wise compared to cars from the '80s and '90s. In most cases, that superior technology makes newer vehicles feel lighter overall compared to the older cars. The suspensions are vastly improved which is a big factor.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I believe it also has to do with society. I'm 5'11" and 205lbs. I barely fit in the 1957 T-Bird my Dad gave me. Also, my wife says I like too big when I'm driving my 65 (although I do feel comfortable in that car).

However, when you look at the people of today I do not believe they are much taller than myself, but they are much larger (i.e. wider).

So, being politically correct, cars are probably being built that way to accommodate the oversized general American populace.....

Just a thought.....

OX1

Established Member
I get what you're saying overall, but consider how much better today's cars are technology/design/feature wise compared to cars from the '80s and '90s. In most cases, that superior technology makes newer vehicles feel lighter overall compared to the older cars. The suspensions are vastly improved which is a big factor.

They "feel' lighter up until the limit, then they "plow" a lot of times due to the weight. You also need a 265 tire to handle the same as an older car could with a 235.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I get your point and sentiment. Cars today are much safer, way more efficient, more comfortable, everything about them is better (generally speaking).

I do like my New Edges though and I can relate to liking and enjoying older cars not only for the size but for simplicity.

All this to say, if I was to have a choice between a Fox Body and an S550…I’m probably going S550 :/ I guess I’m a hypocrite.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I believe it also has to do with society. I'm 5'11" and 205lbs. I barely fit in the 1957 T-Bird my Dad gave me. Also, my wife says I like too big when I'm driving my 65 (although I do feel comfortable in that car).

However, when you look at the people of today I do not believe they are much taller than myself, but they are much larger (i.e. wider).

So, being politically correct, cars are probably being built that way to accommodate the oversized general American populace.....

Just a thought.....
I had to **** my head to the side when I wore a helmet in the Mustang. Lol. Still loved driving it.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I don't disagree with the tech and advancements, and I know safety is an issue, but I still bemoan the size.

01yellercobra

Established Member

Just a thought.....
You should see Nick drive my grandmother's T-bird. It's fun to watch. Chris managed to ride passenger with me once too. Surprisingly it wasn't that bad of a fit for the both of us.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
You should see Nick drive my grandmother's T-bird. It's fun to watch. Chris managed to ride passenger with me once too. Surprisingly it wasn't that bad of a fit for the both of us.

LOL, was the top on or off Bob? Damn, Chris is tall as hell and he fit in there? The T-Bird is wide enough. My wife and I went for a ride this past weekend and we fit side by side with enough room between us. It's the front to back and bottom to top where I have fitment issues LOL.

01yellercobra

Established Member
LOL, was the top on or off Bob? Damn, Chris is tall as hell and he fit in there? The T-Bird is wide enough. My wife and I went for a ride this past weekend and we fit side by side with enough room between us. It's the front to back and bottom to top where I have fitment issues LOL.
It was up. She leaves it up so it stays in good shape.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Interesting reading this post. My buddy just picked up a mint '85 911 Carrera. He also owns a '21 Carrera S. It is really crazy to see how small that '85 looks by comparison. Similarly my brother has a C8 Corvette. To see it next to my C5Z makes the C5 look narrow and small.
Cars just keep getting bigger and bigger.

prs97

Established Member
Interesting reading this post. My buddy just picked up a mint '85 911 Carrera. He also owns a '21 Carrera S. It is really crazy to see how small that '85 looks by comparison. Similarly my brother has a C8 Corvette. To see it next to my C5Z makes the C5 look narrow and small.
Cars just keep getting bigger and bigger.

A reason why I like the 997 size- Not too large, not too small.

Crazy how the 911 has grown in size from the originals up to now.

Recon

Established Member
Those days are gone unfortunately. Though I’m probably in the minority but I have a soft spot for the big cars of the muscle car area. I’m very biased in that aspect.
I know my little MGB made everything look absolutely huge. Maybe the Miata is still the last of the small sporty cars?

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…

Users who are viewing this thread