I love my new GT500...except

Joe Frito

Mustang Freak
Established Member
why the heck would Ford release a car that has such a bad wheel hop problem? This issue wasn't really brought up in any of the magazine tests I read, and is the first car I have owned with this problem. I can't believe that Ford cheaped out with the cheap upper and lower control arms, and wouldn't engineer them properly for the car not to have this issue. For all of the hours of R&D that they would have done, it really burns me that I have to invest extra money to fix something on a brand new car that should not be there in the first place. Sorry for the rant, but this is a serious issue for me that takes away from the enjoyment of an otherwise great car!

ff500

Established Member
I've driven both and the GT500 is worse than the 03 Cobra, I just had the frpp handling pack installed and no more wheel hop, the car launches nicely.I talked with my tech yesterday I am now thinking about the tvs blower and headers, x-pipe and frpp cams, he is pricing it for me.But he told me another GT500 owner was having the Roush wheel hop kit installed and he would let me know how that worked out.The parts are $300.

Rosco P

Bitter clinger…
Established Member
I was surprised as well. It really takes away from being able to enjoy the car. But I did Steeda stuff UCA, LCA, relocation brakets, springs, solved to problem. FRPP stuff will do as well I'm sure.

1FSTHRSE

Established Member
wheel hop

some have it some don't. i was lucky, never had it on mine when stock. still don't have it, but nvh is a bit more. my 03 cobra was terrible. love this car much more. just my opinion. good luck

zex-srt10

Established Member
I know a free way to get ride of all your wheel hop, just drive your car to were i live. Sierra Vista AZ, mmmm It's about 4,750 above sea level. It is hard t break it loose in 2nd.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I have heard that the hop is worse in the 500's as well. Just upgrade a few compnents and call it a day. ( this needs to be done anyway) As for my cobra, I just cut the stock rear springs (linear) and the hop has not been back since.

-Jeff

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Ford loves rubber bushings. That is the problem.

Control arms are cheap compared to IRS mods :lol1:

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
About every car with over 300hp seems to have some wheelhop with stock suspension. Hell Vettes hop, M6s hop, GTOs ect ect.
I dont like it (gone now) but high HP cars seem to hop from the factory from what I have experienced.
Just add lower control arms and that will stop 70% of it on the GT500.

chuckstang

Established Member
I love the way my car drives 90% of the time, the other 10% when I really get it on it, it hops but I will be taking care of that this Spring. I can not wait!

Stripe Delete-I will have your set up I believe-Frpp springs, Dspecs and upper and lowers, relocation brackets and so on.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
man... if its worse than my car was when I had IRS I feel really bad for some of yall! That shit made my teeth rattle!

352Ford

I make my own
Established Member
why the heck would Ford release a car that has such a bad wheel hop problem? This issue wasn't really brought up in any of the magazine tests I read, and is the first car I have owned with this problem. I can't believe that Ford cheaped out with the cheap upper and lower control arms, and wouldn't engineer them properly for the car not to have this issue. For all of the hours of R&D that they would have done, it really burns me that I have to invest extra money to fix something on a brand new car that should not be there in the first place. Sorry for the rant, but this is a serious issue for me that takes away from the enjoyment of an otherwise great car!

Vehicle dynamics engineers have to meet NVH, cost, and performance goals. Assuming the wheel hop doesn’t cause failures in validation testing and doesn’t keep the car from meeting it performance targets; it will usually not get fixed. Quite often things like this either don’t end up on QFD’s or they are not weighted very high.

Don’t forget the RLCA/bushing assembly on the GT500 is better than the base cars, and look to be a better design for this problem than the solid axle fox platforms.

O-yeah, it’s a royal pain to meet NVH requirements and not have wheel hop on powerful IRS cars, and almost impossible to do for a cost conscious car like the mustang.

Last edited:

352Ford

I make my own
Established Member
Couple other side notes:

Really soft bushings can be used as a band aid fix to survive certain elements of durability testing.

Really soft suspension bushings can be used for additional progressive wheel rate.

Really soft suspension bushings can used to minimized bind when the suspension kinematics are not right (think fox chassis)

But I don’t think these three notes apply to on this car, but that is pure speculation.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Are you driving this car in the cold right now? It should get a ton better once it warms up. I think Ford didn't design the car to be driving in too cold of weather.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
My GT500 has much more wheelhop than my Terminator had, but it also has more hp/trq. :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread