I keep snapping my clutch cable... pissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
So, I just broke my 3rd clutch cable in 6 months and I'm lookin for a little help. How do I fix the issue? I have a spec stage 3 clutch, fore firewall adjuster and steeda clutch quadrant. I've broken 2 OE cables and today I broke a generic parts house cable (which actually lasted a good long while). I have an FRPP cable, an OE cable and a Steeda cable at the house. I think I'm going to try out the FRPP cable.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i believe the oe is the best out there. are you modifying it correctly to work with the aftermarket firewall adjuster? are you able to let all the slack out of it so that it is loose, and then start tightening from there?

have you shimmed the quadrant properly? that is a common issue because if not, it can fray the cable where it runs in the quadrant channel.

also how many miles on the clutch? in my experience diaphragm clutches become harder to push as they near the end of their life

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
They're breaking up at the top of the cable. I put the spacer in that came in the package from Steeda, then the quadrant and then the plastic washer and hairpin. Nothing else. Is there a thread on how to properly shim it?
IMG_20130321_162747_zps6d4d38b9.jpg

itzl0l

Angry Bald Man
Established Member
Take the quadrant back out and see if the channel edges are smooth.. I had a burr on mine and had to file it down. While I was at it I smoothed out the edges of the entire channel

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
I'll take a look at that. Just got the OE Cobra cable in and the pedal is super light :). I just want to make sure this doesn't happen again for a while

svtaddict

Established Member
also make sure you use a double or triple hook quadrant if your using a single hook and firewall adjuster it may be too tight, single hook quadrants suck

racermatt

Established Member
If it is a single hook, that would be our Quick-Release quadrant. I will send you a PM and see if we can get this fixed for you.

da2k17

Established Member
i had a two cables break on me in the fall. they were OEM ford cables, one broke about halfway down the cables, i thought i pinched it putting the motor in. second one was on for about 5 min and the cable pulled out of the end that hooks on the tranny side. ford gave me a bit of a hassle getting a new one as they said they never heard of one breaking like that... got a third one and so far no issues.

i wonder if they had manufacturing changes recently and the OEM stuff isnt as good?

50 Proof

Established Member
Sounds to me like your cable is binding, which would lead me to suspect its either your quadrant or you're routing it wrong. Not all quadrants are created equal. You don't need double or triple hook quadrants. A single hook quadrant from maximum motorsports is your best bet.

08mojo

Established Member
Sounds to me like your cable is binding, which would lead me to suspect its either your quadrant or you're routing it wrong. Not all quadrants are created equal. You don't need double or triple hook quadrants. A single hook quadrant from maximum motorsports is your best bet.

Agreed. From where your cable is breaking/fraying, the quadrant is not correctly aligned. Pull the quadrant, look for abnormal wear on the channel where the cable rides and adjust accordingly. Good luck:beer:

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
Here are some pics of the quadrant installed. I wont have time to take it back off until Sunday, but does anything look wrong?
'
IMG_20130322_170347_zpsf713accb.jpg

IMG_20130322_170357_zpsb0f67e23.jpg

mr-proper

Established Member
Here are some pics of the quadrant installed. I wont have time to take it back off until Sunday, but does anything look wrong?
'
IMG_20130322_170347_zpsf713accb.jpg

yes , you need to shim the rear one and you missing the pin for the rear one too. i think that is what causing your clutch cable to break.

mine is shimmed on the front and rear and locked with the pin, for 2years now. still stock factory cable

fastback brian

Established Member
looks ok to me. if the quad is solid on the shafts then you dont need to space or pin the rear shaft.. I would pull the quad and debur the channel like mentioned before...if you see obvious wear on one side the quad then there is an alignment issue to the fire wall. but typically the quad is spaced like you have done..

Dead Mach 1

Established Member
My cable just broke an hour ago have to look at it tomorrow. Second problem with the car and I've barely owned it for 2 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread