I inherited a Terminator. It's needs TLC. Advice needed

Ashen_Heart

Established Member
So quick story about the car.

My dad bought this 04 Torch Red Cobra brand new in 2004. He passed away in 2010 leaving me the car. It has sat pretty much since then until now. It has 28k miles on it.

Mods that I know of:
*Stiegemeier port
*JLT CAI
*2.8 upper
*Diablosport Predator
*Heat Exchange (not sure of brand)

So, after sitting for so long I feel like the car is in rough shape.

I changed the spark plugs and the old ones came out looking rusty/dirty. The holes where the plugs go are dirty.

I drained the gas and changed the filter but the pump is making noise and seems like it's on its way out. Car stutters, idles funny and cuts out while running.

Basically I'm just wondering what type of tune up you guys would do on a Cobra that has been sitting for so long.

Also, what type of fuel pumps would I need for a OEM replacement? I know it's duel pumps but does anyone know the part number or a good place] to order OEM or equivalent pumps?

Any advice is appreciated.

8eb53f663d0c3603e4cb83ae236cbb3b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mbiro594

Established Member
Not the most knowledgeable person here about fuel systems.. But I would go ahead and upgrade the fuel system (maybe go return) in case you have any plans of stepping into a whipple or TVS.

Also welcome! Post up some pics so we can see the beast :thumbsup:

Ashen_Heart

Established Member
So quick story about the car.

My dad bought this 04 Torch Red Cobra brand new in 2004. He passed away in 2010 leaving me the car. It has sat pretty much since then until now. It has 28k miles on it.

Mods that I know of:
*Stiegemeier port
*JLT CAI
*2.8 upper
*Diablosport Predator
*Heat Exchange (not sure of brand)

So, after sitting for so long I feel like the car is in rough shape.

I changed the spark plugs and the old ones came out looking rusty/dirty. The holes where the plugs go are dirty.

I drained the gas and changed the filter but the pump is making noise and seems like it's on its way out. Car stutters, idles funny and cuts out while running.

Basically I'm just wondering what type of tune up you guys would do on a Cobra that has been sitting for so long.

Also, what type of fuel pumps would I need for a OEM replacement? I know it's duel pumps but does anyone know the part number or a good place to order OEM or equivalent pumps?

Any advice is appreciated.

6e862f5a5804d8c0edcded42dd8bc37b.jpg

myke hunt

Feugo
Established Member
First I'm sorry to hear about your dad and I'm glad you have this to remember him by. This is a very visceral car and I hope that translates well for remembering him.

First things first: tune, new plugs ([email protected]") and fluid swap. Do the budget lethal system if you're staying below 650rwhp

Ashen_Heart

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I'll consider the upgraded fuel system but for the sake of curiosity, what fuel pumps would I need to just do a straight up replacement of the stock ones? I may not be able to afford an upgraded system for a while

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldnt do any mods until you get it running in tip-top shape again. If that requires replacing a few things, then maybe upgrade those along the way.

I'd do a top to bottom, front to back inspection of every component. Electrical and rubber could have been eaten away or began rotting. Change every single fluid. Check the tires and make sure they are safe, they are likely dry-rotted as well. Test/check battery, likely needs replaced too simply due to date. Only run premium gas, but if you can find some way to flush the old gas out of the system that would be great too. Once its running well, do a complete detail job. Not simply to get it looking like new, but you want all those rubbers and plastics restored as much as possible, and to get an idea of what needs replaced.

Once it comes down to troubleshooting any running issues, go clear the codes, run it and then check them. Some codes are "soft" and wont necessarily set a CEL. If no codes but still not running right, you'll need to get a data logger on it. Ford IDS, SCT Xcal, HP Tuners VCM, etc... Monitor some parameters and see what's going on. If you think everything is looking good, got some miles on it, then i'd take it to a reputable dyno shop and have the tune verified, and get it retuned if necessary.

Good luck and be proud that you can enjoy your father's Cobra! I wish I could find my first cobra again, as my father took care of it and drove it a lot in my absence. I know he loved that car and I'd be happy to have it back.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I agree with the above. First and foremost, never sell the car as it means much more to you than it ever could be to anyone else. Also, sorry about your dad. See if you can find a local cobra owner and see how much they know about these cars. I would definitely do the upgrades to the fuel system. Pumps, a modified fpdm, and possibly injectors. Getting the car logged is probably your first job. That way you know what you are working with to start.

cj428mach

Established Member
I would look over hoses, wiring to see if everything appears to be okay. Any chance mice could have chewed things up while it sat?

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
First thing, NEVER sell that car. ever.

I do this with any car that I buy. Its worth the peace of mind. All new fluids, new plugs and tune. Clean the air filter and MAF. Probably wouldn't hurt to get the injectors cleaned.

I can't remember which pumps that can be dropped right in and used.. But I'm sure someone will chime in.

Sorry to hear about your dad, but bring that car back to its former glory and You'll have something to remember him by for the rest of your life.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
there are a lot of things that can cause the issues you're describing, I dont know that Id go spending a bunch on new pumps before doing some more trouble shooting.

If you can describe what kinda noise(s) the pumps are making or maybe even get a video of it Im sure people could give more input.

how long has the car been allowed to run? I wouldnt think it would take toooo long to get the old gas out of the lines if the tank was completely emptied and filled with fresh fuel. I would probably get a can of MAF sensor cleaner and clean the MAF real good too, a dirty MAF sensor will cause all kinds of problems. Air filter likely needs cleaning or possibly replacing at this point as well

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sorry to hear of your dad passing. My own dad passed in 2010. It's great that you have such a great object of affection. Your dad loved his Cobra and he wanted you to love it as well. Enjoy it very soon.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Does it have the dark insert seats? One of my favorite color combos. Take care of that car, enjoy it, drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashen_Heart

Established Member
Does it have the dark insert seats? One of my favorite color combos. Take care of that car, enjoy it, drive it.

Yeah it does. Really great looking color combo. There is a small scuff on the drivers seat that drives me crazy but other than that the interior is perfect.
8d51ef396260b6cc875e03cdb9452860.jpg

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I would say try and find the go to modular shop in ID and have them go through it.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your Dad OP. Never sell that car you will always have it to remember him by. I'd change all the fluids, check the hoses, belts, bushings. Did you gap the new plugs? should be around .32 gap NGK TR6 plugs.

RichM1983

Established Member
You do what you want but if you don't plan to go with a big blower upgrade going to a returnless fuel system is totally unnecessary. If you are sure the old ones are bad then look on eBay or on this site at a used set. I have seen them cheap. The factory pumps are a little noisy compared to most cars so they may not even have an issue.

What I would do:
All new belts
All new fluids
New plugs
Fuel Filter
Clean MAF
Check wires/vac hoses
Drain tank and put in new gas
Have the injectors cleaned or buy a known good used set. Again pretty cheap.

Some of those things you have done but that should get you where you need.

How much run time does the car have since you've pulled it out? I ask because the old fuel could be an issue in the lines but I doubt it.

Everyone talks about how bad the rubber could be but honestly if this car has sat inside a garage and not beaten by the sun then don't be worried. It should all be fine.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Yeah it does. Really great looking color combo. There is a small scuff on the drivers seat that drives me crazy but other than that the interior is perfect.
8d51ef396260b6cc875e03cdb9452860.jpg

Looks really nice. Was your dad a gear head at all?

Users who are viewing this thread