I found the clunk

mp23

Established Member
Rearend.jpg
"]http://
Rearend.jpg
[/URL]

New cobra owner here. I just picked my car up yesterday and noticed the clunk on the way home. This piece is loose and wont tighten up. Im ashamed to say I don't know what it is, any help would be appreciated, I have posted pic. its the piece with the x on it which is right below the front of the differential and the bolts go up into the sub frame

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you sure that's the cause of the "clunk". That's not really needed, and when I did my diff bushing upgrade that was taken off and thrown in a box.

mp23

Established Member
Are you sure that's the cause of the "clunk". That's not really needed, and when I did my diff bushing upgrade that was taken off and thrown in a box.

Almost positive, I cant imagine it hurting anything but your always nervous with a new purchase. Thanks for the reply.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Almost positive, I cant imagine it hurting anything but your always nervous with a new purchase. Thanks for the reply.

Like posted above, it's just a weight, and most remove it. There are many other things in the drivetrain that creates a clunk. Search "clunk" and you'll see.

Remove it once, then see if the clunk goes away.

big dad

Established Member
That is a vibration dampner that Ford puts on the diff to cancel vibrations at certain RPMs or frequencies. As long as the retaining bolts are tight it should move some because it's mounted on rubber bushings.
Not all vehicles need them but Ford puts them on just in case. If they could get away without it, they wouldn't need to spend the money on it.
Each vibration frequency can be cancelled by a corresponding weight such as that.
There is a TSB for a clunk in the rear which states that it is the nature of the IRS in our cars, and is considered normal.

perry2k12

Established Member
See if the nose of the differential moves up and down. That's where the clunk is really probably coming from. Lift the dif where the driveshaft connects, if it moves up and down then your differential mount bushings are bad. That's most likely the noise you're hearing.

evolve

Established Member
Remove that un-needed 10lbs. Someone mentioned the TSB about the IRS noise. It may be that.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
big_dad is spot on. Sounds like it is time for new front and rear diff bushings and make sure you have the 9/16" front sub frame bolts.

mp23

Established Member
That is a vibration dampner that Ford puts on the diff to cancel vibrations at certain RPMs or frequencies. As long as the retaining bolts are tight it should move some because it's mounted on rubber bushings.
Not all vehicles need them but Ford puts them on just in case. If they could get away without it, they wouldn't need to spend the money on it.
Each vibration frequency can be cancelled by a corresponding weight such as that.
There is a TSB for a clunk in the rear which states that it is the nature of the IRS in our cars, and is considered normal.

I agree but it swings back and forth and the sound Im hearing is it hitting the diff when it swings back. I could be wrong but it only does it once in a while. I cant imagine it should be that loose but as long as it is not hurting anything I can live with it.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
See if the nose of the differential moves up and down. That's where the clunk is really probably coming from. Lift the dif where the driveshaft connects, if it moves up and down then your differential mount bushings are bad. That's most likely the noise you're hearing.

+1

My front diff bushings were melted, had the same problem.

Fast69Mach

Established Member
Mine had two different clunks. One was the front diff bushings, and I couldn't even tell there was anything wrong until I pulled it apart.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I still have the 1st to 2nd gear clunk. I have ftbr diff bushing, and the upgraded 9/16 subframe bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread