I feel obligated to release this info!

Dominick32

BANNED
First, please read my previous post (ignore the ignorant arguing and focus on the direct points):

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=136158

I now feel obligated to explain to everyone why this thread was started. I really did not want to release this information to the public but here goes:

We maybe had 5 or 6 dyno pulls on my car.
During a couple of the pulls we witnessed very strange noises.
There were a few people that heard the noises also including Pete,Joe @ Mustang Magic and SVTP Member "Snipizo". We just didnt think anything of it at the time.

As soon as I pulled out of MM I noticed the noise and the driveablility issue. On the way home from the shop after the 4#lower install and tune my blower started to make an extremely loud/high pitched screetching noise. I drove home normally and started it up the next day. At idle it immediately istarted making a loud mettalic clanking and rubbing. I put my hand on the blower casing and it was shaking and vibrating. (Almost felt like something was rubbing together inside) It turns out that quite possibly heat and overspinning caused pre-mature failure of my ported eaton.

Yes, you guys heard me correctly. My blower took a complete shit.
I need to talk to Gene Fine @ Apten to discuss whats going on with the situation but I am almost positive it was a combo of heat and over-spin. The blower did not seize up up completely, it still rotates and will allow me to get to the shop on my own power. It makes a small amount of boost at low rpms and as far as im concerned there is no damage to the intercooler...hopefully.

There is alot of options I am considering right now but besides that I am really: :xpl:

Dom

Fang

Established Member
Now that sucks! I was leaning against doing the Whipple for a ported Eaton but this is a mind changer. This is also just one Eaton so you could go either way with this one.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Originally posted by Dominick32
At idle it immediately istarted making a loud mettalic clanking and rubbing. I put my hand on the blower casing and it was shaking and vibrating. (Almost felt like something was rubbing together inside)

The blower did not seize up up completely, it still rotates and will allow me to get to the shop on my own power.

Don't drive it!! If something is rubbing inside, your putting metal shavings from the case and/or rotors into the engine.

Dominick32

BANNED
Re: Re: I feel obligated to release this info!

Originally posted by MikeC
Don't drive it!! If something is rubbing inside, your putting metal shavings from the case and/or rotors into the engine.

I am hoping that this is not the case.
But you are most certainly right, thats why i was also worried about intercooler damage. I am praying right now that the problem is a simple "snout replacement kit".
A lot of people have been telling me on the phone, theyre almost 75% sure that is the case.

Lets pray!

Dom

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Even if it is the snout, you should still have the oil changed and examine it closely to insure there are no metal shavings in it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh, wow Dom. That's terrible. Is Gene going to work with you to resolve what happened? That's not going to help the ported blower cause. Makes the Whipple and Kenne Bell much more logical choices to me. I hope this isn't starting a trend because the porting of the blowers has been a very popular and cost effective way to make some nice power. If nothing else it will make folks think a bit more carefully before making a final decision.

PhantomX

Established Member
I know someone who is selling a stock eaton, never pullied, with 3k miles on it for less then $400, PM me if you need a temporary replacement and I will put you in touch.

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by wjmorgan
I know someone who is selling a stock eaton, never pullied, with 3k miles on it for less then $400, PM me if you need a temporary replacement and I will put you in touch.
Thanks Man.
That is very kind of you to offer and greatly noted.

Much appreciation here,

Dom

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. But on the brighter side, you might luck out, and you can rebuild the eaton. The lightning guys have to repack their blowers after about 50,000 miles, as the bearings go with time and over spinning. I think it's just a couple hundred bucks. In fact, I know there is a guy in here who had to do the same thing. He's had like 35,000 miles, much of that with a 2.93, and he's from Arizona I think. I forget his name, but I think he posts a lot. This is something I am planning on happening, I guess it's just a matter of time. I guess I would almost consider it maintenance. Hopefully you lucked out and everything can be worked out without too much time and money.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Considering the number of "overspun" Eatons out there not having a problem, I'd wager it's probably more likely something caused by the porting.

Specifically it's my understanding that it's possible to screw up the case and make it too thin / port it too much in the wrong placed and have the rotors contacting the case near the edge of the port.

I'd be interested to see you pull the blower and see if the rotors are rubbing the case.

Last edited:

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by slythetove
Considering the number of "overspun" Eatons out there not having a problem, I'd wager it's probably more likely something caused by the porting.

Specifically it's my understanding that it's possible to screw up the case and make it too thin / port it too much in the wrong placed and have the rotors contacting the case near the edge of the port.

I'd be interested to see you pull the blower and see if the rotors are rubbing the case.

This is also a very good point.
Some of the newer ports have alot of the casing dug out.
This in turn = more case flex = possible rotor contact.

Dom

BoneCrusher

Established Member
Dom sorry to hear that man, I for one appreciate you posting this and your other threads as well. Sharing this info for us that are still up in the air as to what we want to do with pullies/boost really helps. Thanks for sharing the info I really hope you get this straightened out.

Brandon @ MD

Established Member
Dom - Gene is no longer with us for your information;) Now give me a call at the shop and we will work something out for you to get this taken care of. Don't drive the car any if possiable.

Brandon

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by Dominick32
This is also a very good point.
Some of the newer ports have alot of the casing dug out.
This in turn = more case flex = possible rotor contact.

Dom

Yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm sure that either you or whatever shop removes the blower will check it before tearing the blower apart.

Hope you get it resolved ASAP. Being without your car is terrible.

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by Brandon @ MD
Dom - Gene is no longer with us for your information;) Now give me a call at the shop and we will work something out for you to get this taken care of. Don't drive the car any if possiable.

Brandon

Brandon,
Thanks for the reply.
Apten has always been a class act to me and is still one of my sponsors over on SVT Snake.com

Thanks for the prompt response and I will give you guys a call this week.

Dom

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your problem Dom but I'm sure Apten will take good care of you in trying to figure out whats going on with your blower. When I saw your other post earlier today, I had a feeling something was up with your car, hopefully you didnt damage your engine, the blower can be replaced...Good Luck!

hj16

Established Member
Man, that didnt take long did it? How many miles did you have on the 2.93/4lb combo? I could swear you just had it put on maybe 3-5 days ago :shrug:

Thats horrible any way you put it..... hopefully its just the snout that took a dump not the whole blower.

Users who are viewing this thread