i dynoed the car today

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Your comment about headers hurting these motors' abilities to make more power is not the truth though. Maybe you should be more specific. That is why we are pushing back a little. We'd hate for someone to take what you are saying as gold.

Shorties on these motors will net near to 0 gain, but LT's have proven to net 20+ rwhp (depending on tune) with these 4V's.

I hope you do not go to the dyno with a bolt on N/A 4.6L anything and think you are going to pick up 20+rwhp by just going to long tube headers. :nonono:

Also your comparison about two cars with similar mods and one having long tubes and the other car not is not valid. Infact it is stupid. No two stock engines will make the same amount of power so why do you think two modded ones would even given the same mods are done? :nonono: x2

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Also when my car had the P1SC on I went from stock headers with a Prochamber to long tube headers with a O/R X pipe. I noticed no gains at the track. Was there gains there? Maybe... However its not that big of a gain. Would I install long tubes as a mod? Hell yea. But you guys (or one guy atleast) seem to think that N/A you are going to get 20+rwhp so I should have got 40-50rwhp gain. :rolleyes: Wake up and get out of la la land.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Also when my car had the P1SC on I went from stock headers with a Prochamber to long tube headers with a O/R X pipe. I noticed no gains at the track. Was there gains there? Maybe... However its not that big of a gain. Would I install long tubes as a mod? Hell yea. But you guys (or one guy atleast) seem to think that N/A you are going to get 20+rwhp so I should have got 40-50rwhp gain. :rolleyes: Wake up and get out of la la land.

You are correct to a point. I'm not gonna claim any numbers on what long tubes will make because I have not had my car dyno'd yet, however.. The headers are going to do the exact same thing whether the engine is NA or boosted. It's not going to scavenge any more with a boosted engine than it does with an NA engine. The only benefit you would have with the boosted engine and scavenging is if you had cams that gave you valve overlap to use that boost to PUSH the inert gasses out of the cylinders.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
The more air that goes in = the more air that has to go out.

However on a stock N/A motor you need backpressure to make power. If you open up the exhaust too much you will lose power. I'm not going to say a bolt on 99-01 Cobra motor won't gain power with long tubes but I am saying you shouldn't be suprised if it doesn't. These are not big motors guys.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
what about the difference between long tubes and mid-legnths

I'd go long tubes. If you are going to install headers go long tubes. I'm putting midlength 1 3/4" on my H/C/I 302 but that is only because I don't want to deal with the clearance issues that a set of 1 3/4" longtubes would have.

fangs99

Established Member
it was to much of a pain in the as to swap the tranny with them to even think about swapping them unless i turbo the car. but i'm thinking about running procharger's f-1a.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
...Also your comparison about two cars with similar mods and one having long tubes and the other car not is not valid. Infact it is stupid. No two stock engines will make the same amount of power so why do you think two modded ones would even given the same mods are done? :nonono: x2

This is true a little. But a 20hp difference...just cause, especially when the higher milage engine, by 30k is the high HP one......get real. Obviously the additional mod has a large role

...However on a stock N/A motor you need backpressure to make power. If you open up the exhaust too much you will lose power...

putting midlength 1 3/4" on my H/C/I 302 but that is only because I don't want to deal with the clearance issues that a set of 1 3/4" longtubes would have.

wow way to contradict yourself man. Seriously, bravo. PS your top post, 100% correct thats why an N/A motor or anything making under 600hp should be running a 1 5/8" a 1 3/4" is much to large and you would lose power. Congrats on that logic and choice :bash: looks like me have two header geniuses in here

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
The more air that goes in = the more air that has to go out.

This is correct, but the piston on it's way to TDC on the exhaust stroke is going to do most of the work in any case. My point was this: There's not going to be any more or less inert gasses left in the cylinder after the exhaust stroke from one application to another with the same headers. I understand if you have boost, you will have more inert gas after the power stroke. The cylinders can only be so 'clean'.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
This is true a little. But a 20hp difference...just cause, especially when the higher milage engine, by 30k is the high HP one......get real. Obviously the additional mod has a large role

What are you trying to say here? :dw: English much? Are you seriously saying that the higher mileage motor shouldn't make more power than the lower mileage one? LOL It seems like you are saying since the one with more mods has more mileage then that means the mods are even working that much harder. I wasn't aware that as you gain miles your mods give you more power! Sweet!

wow way to contradict yourself man. Seriously, bravo. PS your top post, 100% correct thats why an N/A motor or anything making under 600hp should be running a 1 5/8" a 1 3/4" is much to large and you would lose power. Congrats on that logic and choice :bash: looks like me have two header geniuses in here

Contradict myself? No...my 302 is worlds apart from your beast of a car. The difference is I will have a bigger motor, bigger heads, more cam, bigger intake, thus I will need bigger headers and bigger exhaust. The point I made about the headers above was from my personal experience. Is what you say from your own personal experience? I mean you say anything less than 600hp should be running 1 5/8" headers and 1 3/4" headers are much too large. So lets see your 600hp car! Whats that? You don't own one? Then why are you saying these thing? What, you read about it on the internet? LOL Such a tool... I'll be sure to ask you for advice when I put the 1 3/4" headers and 3" exhaust on my little ol 400hp pushrod motor. And you have the nerve to call that other guy an idiot. Unless you can back up your reasons and claims with proof or experience of your own then you should definately stfu. :beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
This thread gives me a headache

icon_facepalmsmiley.gif

K2AHollywood

Established Member
What are you trying to say here? :dw: English much? Are you seriously saying that the higher mileage motor shouldn't make more power than the lower mileage one? LOL It seems like you are saying since the one with more mods has more mileage then that means the mods are even working that much harder. I wasn't aware that as you gain miles your mods give you more power! Sweet!
Contradict myself? No...my 302 is worlds apart from your beast of a car. The difference is I will have a bigger motor, bigger heads, more cam, bigger intake, thus I will need bigger headers and bigger exhaust. The point I made about the headers above was from my personal experience. Is what you say from your own personal experience? I mean you say anything less than 600hp should be running 1 5/8" headers and 1 3/4" headers are much too large. So lets see your 600hp car! Whats that? You don't own one? Then why are you saying these thing? What, you read about it on the internet? LOL Such a tool... I'll be sure to ask you for advice when I put the 1 3/4" headers and 3" exhaust on my little ol 400hp pushrod motor. And you have the nerve to call that other guy an idiot. Unless you can back up your reasons and claims with proof or experience of your own then you should definately stfu. :beer:

sweet re-edit home boy. This reads much better then your post last night 'I have a big cam and 400hp and I’m going to run a 1 3/8 to a 1 7/8'.....blah. I can see why you spend your time in an internet forum, that way you can say something and then go back and edit and re-edit so you sound competent. PS. clearly if I’m saying that I was there at the dyno and my car was one of the comparison cars then I do probably have a touch of experience, especially in this specific case which was sighted above....ya think? Also if you exercise your reading skills I merely pointed out that two cars can have different HP outputs, but a 20hp is not normal...and probability also states that the higher mileage one more then likely wont be the high numbered one. Yes sir I do agree you are a tool...and 006 is right, this is a headache....congratulations sir!
Oh and since you seem to be such an English expert:
Definately = definitely / these thing = these things

Nazman

Established Member
LT Headers will make power on a bolt-on 4.6, period.

It may not yeild 20 Peak HP buti it will reflect very nice and over 10RW all acros the power band, specially in the mid range..where you will fell it the best on a street car.

You may see 3-8RWHP @ peak, depending on the overal combo but the gains under the curve will be very fat.

I seen it on my car, and I have seen it on other cars.

Very important point is that after long tubes and mid pipe you WILL need to fix your tune.

fangs99

Established Member
i had a friend tell me that headder wrap will cause the motor to run a little lean. have any of ya'll heard anything about that?

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
So, I just went ahead and setup purchase of Nazman's SLP headers and xpipe. I have dyno numbers on an MD dyno now, and probably in a month or 2, I'll have dyno numbers on the same dyno with the headers.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Weird. Did someone stick a big ball in your intake towards the end of the dyno session? Kinda looks like your motor is pulling timing. Are you running premium fuel?

Users who are viewing this thread