I don't want to ask this but....

mrose75

Established Member
I really hate to ask this, but I need some updated info.....(yes I searched). Last year I was working win Amazon to get my ported Eaton tuned. Slow process, then I came down on assignment, moved to Kansas and shortly thereafter did a tour in Afghanistan. While I was there my wife bought me a Whipple for my birthday/Xmas. I wasn't really too excited about the way things were going and never finished up with Amazon and in light of recent events with them, I need to find a new tuner.

I just want to find someone reputable that can get me right. I just want to get my car up and running. I really haven't been able to drive it for about a year. Granted 8 months of that I was in the Stan, but it's time to get it on the road again. Recommendations?

Dyno tune..... Nothing near by. The closest would be KC or maybe Witchita, both of which are two hours away. I'm opting for the email tuning. I have an SCT XCal2.

Thanks for any help.

wickedcobra99

Established Member
Depending on where you are located, there is a shop in lawrence called LSX Kilr. I haven't used them but you could check them out. I live in topeka so I feel your pain about trying to find a reputable shop in kansas.

Last edited:

Jensanity

Established Member
I'm not sure his username on here, but look up Ortiz Performance on Facebook. Luis does awesome work and offers lifetime revisions. He's located in Alamo, Texas (so you know it's the right place) He will answer any questions you have, explain what he's doing, and has very fast turn around times. Give him a shot I'm sure you will be satisfied.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So your not willing to travel 2hrs for a dyno tune?

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Eric Brooks with Brooksspeed is great but I'm not sure if he's still doing email tunes now that he works for HP tuners. Another choice is VMP Tuning. I don't have any experience with them but have heard a lot of good things about Justin.

mrose75

Established Member
Depending on where you are located, there is a shop in lawrence called LSX Kilr. I haven't used them but you could check them out. I live in topeka so I feel your pain about trying to find a reputable shop in kansas.

Amen

I'm not sure his username on here, but look up Ortiz Performance on Facebook. Luis does awesome work and offers lifetime revisions. He's located in Alamo, Texas (so you know it's the right place) He will answer any questions you have, explain what he's doing, and has very fast turn around times. Give him a shot I'm sure you will be satisfied.

I was actually contacted by him and am talking to him about it. Thanks.

So your not willing to travel 2hrs for a dyno tune?

I would but 1) I have a half finished tune from Amazon on the car right now and then I'm throwing a Whipple on it, which will put it off even further I'd imagine 2) I don't even know if there are any reputable tuners out there. I assume there are, but I assumed I'd be good with Amazon. So I'm asking the question.

Eric Brooks with Brooksspeed is great but I'm not sure if he's still doing email tunes now that he works for HP tuners. Another choice is VMP Tuning. I don't have any experience with them but have heard a lot of good things about Justin.

I have considered VMP....

Last edited by a moderator:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
OP I'm in the same situation. I just added a tvs blower and a return fuel system. Any good tuner can email you a start-up tune. I just emailed my tuner my mod list. Then I'll download the file to my sct. Hopefully that will get the car running, then I'll bring it to the shop which is an hour away.

SxyMuffinSnake

Established Member
Ive seen Justins tunes and they are great. Another really good option is a guy I use. I travel 6 hours to see him when I get a dyno tune. His name is Chris at Dyno Edge in Albuquerque, NM. (505)299-3313. Great guy and AMAZING tuner.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
LITO has a great rep. He tunes a fair amount of guys on s197forum and is a vendor there. Don't be put off by the spanish, he speaks and writes english excellent.

http://www.tudyno.com/

b_dike

Established Member
I really hate to ask this, but I need some updated info.....(yes I searched). Last year I was working win Amazon to get my ported Eaton tuned. Slow process, then I came down on assignment, moved to Kansas and shortly thereafter did a tour in Afghanistan. While I was there my wife bought me a Whipple for my birthday/Xmas. I wasn't really too excited about the way things were going and never finished up with Amazon and in light of recent events with them, I need to find a new tuner.

I just want to find someone reputable that can get me right. I just want to get my car up and running. I really haven't been able to drive it for about a year. Granted 8 months of that I was in the Stan, but it's time to get it on the road again. Recommendations?

Dyno tune..... Nothing near by. The closest would be KC or maybe Witchita, both of which are two hours away. I'm opting for the email tuning. I have an SCT XCal2.

Sorry to say, but I'm not sure there's a reputable shop in KC even. I've had my eyes and hears open for last 3 years trying to figure out where id go with my car. Mostly what I hear is negative comments about the shops here in town. As a matter of fact, I know of 3 different people seek out outside options when it comes to tuning. Especially if your going whipple. I think remote tuning would be your best bet...

mrose75

Established Member
That's what I figured.... So I would either have to travel 6 hours like 03 White Snake or e-mail tune, which is what I'm going to do. I'll have a A/F gauge to make sure it's safe and I know how to data log. Once everything seems good I can put it on the dyno and check it out. Well, you guys know how it works.

cj428mach

Established Member
That's what I figured.... So I would either have to travel 6 hours like 03 White Snake or e-mail tune, which is what I'm going to do. I'll have a A/F gauge to make sure it's safe and I know how to data log. Once everything seems good I can put it on the dyno and check it out. Well, you guys know how it works.

Don Lasota and get the PRP from him. He gives you a starter tune and you can ask him questions. If you get frurstrated you can just pay him to make the tune for you. I love owning my own tune and being able to make changes. So far I've had the PRP for a few months, I've changed MAFs and now added a return fuel system. A few minutes on the laptop and I'm ready to go. I know with Amazon it would have taken weeks to it, lol.

mrose75

Established Member
Don Lasota and get the PRP from him. He gives you a starter tune and you can ask him questions. If you get frurstrated you can just pay him to make the tune for you. I love owning my own tune and being able to make changes. So far I've had the PRP for a few months, I've changed MAFs and now added a return fuel system. A few minutes on the laptop and I'm ready to go. I know with Amazon it would have taken weeks to it, lol.

It sounds like an awesome idea, but that's something I just wouldn't trust myself with.

cj428mach

Established Member
It sounds like an awesome idea, but that's something I just wouldn't trust myself with.

A friend of mine is having him remote tune his car and raves about his customer service. I know I was growing tired of Amazon and emailed Don on a Saturday to ask him some questions about the PRP he sells. He emailed me back very quickly, we continued emailing back and forth through the entire weekend. I ordered his package and tuning information on Monday and had it by the end of the week.

The base tune he gives you is the tune he says he'd give you if you were on the dyno in front of him. From there you make the adjustments. The hard part is done in my opinion and he gives you a timing table to start with, which is probably the most dangerous part for a newbie.

Its really no different than a tune was from Amazon. Rick sent you a base tune like what Don sends you. Then if you needed revisions you sent Rick a log and he hacked up the MAF curve to get the AFR where it needs to be and sent it back. At least this way you have someone who cares (yourself) doing the work. Did Rick ever give you any instructions with his tune? Don told me, and recommends in his book to pull 4 degrees of timing while working on the AFR. With Rick I just got a tune and a "here you go" comment.

I suggest Emailing Don about it. I was scared at first and was more interested in asking him about having him tune mine but he was more interested in educating me to tune it myself.

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
That sucks that you have no local options. I guess I'm just paranoid but there is no way I would go twin screw and not have it tuned in person.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Wait.... no one has said anything about your wife. Hats off to your wife! She bought you a supercharger, no kidding? If you ever break-up, please recommend me. (just kidding!)

black 10th vert

Established Member
Wait.... no one has said anything about your wife. Hats off to your wife! She bought you a supercharger, no kidding? If you ever break-up, please recommend me. (just kidding!)

Excellent point! Kudos to a wife that will surprise a guy with a new Whipple! I had a hell of a time convincing mine of "why" I needed to buy one at all!:nonono:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Sorry to say, but I'm not sure there's a reputable shop in KC even. I've had my eyes and hears open for last 3 years trying to figure out where id go with my car. Mostly what I hear is negative comments about the shops here in town. As a matter of fact, I know of 3 different people seek out outside options when it comes to tuning. Especially if your going whipple. I think remote tuning would be your best bet...

VMP brings their dyno and mobile shop to Herman MO once a year. You could head over there and get tuned next spring. That's what Craig did this year.

OP your best bet is probably working with a good remote tuner over email. Rent some dyno time towards the end if you want. No way I'd drive 2+ hours for a tune. Then every time you need a revision or something fixed it's just "yeah swing by the shop and we'll get you taken care of" lol. yeah right.

Users who are viewing this thread